01. Part I - O Captain, My Captain
02. Part II - Eleutheria
03. Part III - Meta Incognita
04. Part IV - Redemption
05. Part V - I Am Alive
06. Part VI - Leaves Of Grass
07. Mechanismo
08. KT Event

Canada has repeatedly proved to be a fertile land for technically accomplished Metal bands - think of Triumph, Rush, Helix, Cryptopsy, Anvil and others. In spite of this, "Eleutheria" - my first taste of Antiquus - still managed to surprise, arouse and actually blow me away.

Although labelling music genres remains a futile exercise, uninitiated readers would understandably want to know what the band sounds like. So I'll say the style we have here draws in varying measures from Progressive Rock, Power Metal and Neo-classical Metal. Think of Slough Feg, Y&T, Virgin Steele and Kamelot. More specifically songs include the excellently written epic 'Redemption' to the dual acoustic magic of 'Meta Incognita' to 'Mecanismo' which bows out in style with a fast but precise rhythmic crescendo and whose abrupt halt leaves you wanting for more. The album's hightlight, however, must be 'I Am Alive' which is an epitome of first-rate songwriting, not to mention a minefield of impressive neo-classical guitar solos. Never before has an 11-minute + song sounded so intense.

What of the musicians? Scott Unger potentially treads risky ground with his tendancy to use his bass guitar as a lead instrument. We need not worry though, as he pulls this off admirably well. Guitarists Trevor Leonard and Geoff Way are excellent both when it comes to furious solos and even more so in the numerous acoustic parts. The vocals are of no less quality - one only has to listen to 'I Am Alive' to hear the vocal dexterity of Jesse White.

"Eleutheria" does have room for improvement but considering this is only the band's first album, we'll probably hear more from the quintet very soon. In fact Antiquus is probably one of the best signings Cruz Del Sur could have hoped for and this is a strongly recommended piece of work.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 7

Written by Account deleted | 16.10.2007

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 15 users
17.10.2007 - 04:13
iaberis
Advice Troll
"Eleutheria" in Greek means "Freedom" ^.^
"Ελευθερία"
----
Bitch! Please
17.10.2007 - 04:59
nb
Dream Theatre is the same Dream Theater? The only memeber of DT that comes from Canada is James Labrie, but I would say they are from NY.

Hits total: 3011 | This month: 21