Metal Storm logo
Best Male Power Metal Singer

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.10.2007 - 04:52
I know there are many other great singers out there, these are some of mine. If there's someone else please list them, I'm always willing to find new bands to love! Please feel free to say what you like, dislike about anything, everyone has an opinion.

Poll

Which singer would you want fronting your Power Metal band?

Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian)
Roy Khan (Kamelot)
Michael Kiske (Helloween)
Other (Please Specify)
Matt Barlow (Iced Earth/Pyramaze)
Tony Kakko (Sonata Arctica)
Tobias Sammet (Edguy)
Fabio Lione (Rhapsody of Fire)
DC Cooper (Silent Force)

Total votes: 409
11.02.2010 - 17:03
Winterthrone
I would have voted for Russel Allen of Symphony X or Jorn Lande of Masterplan, Jorn...etc But I chose the master, the king of good ol' German Power metal Mikael Kiske. I love Blind Guardian, but Hansi Kursch is technically under Kiske. Don't get me wrong, Hansi is an amazing singer but only since he dropped bass to concentrate on his vocals. Before, and mostly on Battallions Of Fear he was sometimes Off-Key or seemed like he had lost his breath. Kiske is a master at delivering high pitched vocals always hitting the right notes and his voice created the standard for a lot of power metal bands.
23.04.2010 - 03:07
Jiri
I agree with the shape. No beating Khan.
23.04.2010 - 03:16
Got Mayhem?
I went with Hansi, however, if Daniel Heiman was listed then I would have been beating myself up for hours trying to decide between them. Khan and Kiske are both incredible singers that I enjoy a lot, but I just have a big soft spot for Hansi.
----
24.04.2010 - 23:45
Kintu
Folk You!
Hansi, without a doubt.
25.04.2010 - 21:23
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Fabio of course!! i just like his voice specially in ballads
----
Stay Metal !!!
08.05.2010 - 19:57
Gurth Bennas
Just Hansi! Not another one! His Voice penetrate into your heart and make you frenzied!
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
30.05.2010 - 21:05
arwestromen
Daniel Heiman.....there can be only one
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
31.05.2010 - 10:04
vezzy
Stallmanite
In my opinion, it's Peavy Wagner of Rage.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
31.05.2010 - 14:51
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Peavy Wagner is awesome! xD One of the main reasons Rage stand out from other power metal bands, is he has a deep, gruff voice. Of course, as a singer, he hasnt got anything on any of the guys listed in the poll, but in his own way, he is great.

This is actually a very hard choice for me, as there is so many singers in the genre that I love, and quite a few of them, are not listed here. Like Timo Kotipelto from Stratovarius. Fabio Leone is probably the most technically gifted. He could give top opera singers a run for their money! Hearing him sing is always a pleasure. For me though, its probably Russel Allen, just beating out Jorn Lande. Russel has immense range, but also an aggression in his voice that seperates him from most other singers of that style of metal. Jorn's voice just melts me, and has an amazing romantic quality. But Russel just edges it for me. So powerful! <3
31.05.2010 - 15:28
vezzy
Stallmanite
Yeah, and Rage's music sometimes comes off as power-thrash. Maybe that's why I like them so much. XD
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
05.06.2010 - 18:39
Malevolent-Jim
My overall favourite is Roy Khan.Jorn Lande is a close second though, but he's not here
11.06.2010 - 10:40
Darth Revan
Roy khan is the best in power metal, no contest. Yet I still prefer Sonata Arctica to Kamelot.
11.06.2010 - 11:29
Fëanor
Although I used to be a bigger fan of Hansi and Barlow, my opinion changed when I saw Kamelot perform live. Khan has a great live voice, and it shows that it's not just magic in the studio that makes him sound good.

So I vote Khan.
----
~Everything we think we know is merely a guess, and every thought process is a theory in progress.~

I'm not insane - I'm just smarter than you!
17.06.2010 - 04:34
Narloth
That was a hard choice, but still I vote for Hansi, like the most people here. He not only has a great vioce, but also his performance is very decent, his intonations as he sings.
I can't understand why Fabio Lione has only 4 voices (I almost voted for him but then I remembered Quest for Tanelorn hehe, and I changed my mind very quickly )
02.07.2010 - 23:50
Sulac
Wow this is an amazingly difficult choice. Khan, Barlow, and Kursch are al amazing vocalists, and Kamelot, Iced Earth, and Blind Guardian are all among my top ten bands. I think I'll have to go with Khan, because Kamelot's my favorite band of all time, but, man, this is a tough choice.
04.07.2010 - 08:08
Gummingurru
Andre mattos(ANGRA)
07.07.2010 - 03:05
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Masterplan's former vocalist, as well as Symphony X's one, are the best I know... high pitched flower metal vocals sound pretty annoying to me and I prefer these guys's lower, more agressive voices.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
03.08.2010 - 03:29
Matsi
Roy Khan!
09.08.2010 - 04:56
whatsacow
What? Males sing power metal now?! I thought, you know, with the lack of testosterone andother things starting with "test" that it would be predominantly sung by 3 year old girls.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
12.08.2010 - 12:20
arwestromen
Daniel Heiman?
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
15.08.2010 - 21:29
Kratos
Tough choice for me between Roy Khan and Hansi Kursch. Both have a really unique power metal voice, in the end I think i'll go with Hansi because he seems to have a more powerful vocal range, but Roy is still really good.
16.08.2010 - 05:54
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
No surprise here, knew Hansi would be leading, even though Khan is the best.
19.08.2010 - 07:43
mismoree
Definitely Khan (although Hansi was a close second)
06.09.2010 - 22:48
akvan
When hansi is in the list..........I vote another person . NEVERRRRRRRRR
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
12.09.2010 - 22:47
Hansi by far. Although Barlow is awesome as well. Never liked Roy Khan, his voice is too soft for me.
12.09.2010 - 23:05
RavenKing
I pretty much hate vocals in Powermetal, so the choice is limited for me.

My favorites are:

Michael Kiske on "Keeper Of The Seven Keys" part 1 (I like him a bit less on part 2)

Hansi Kursch until SFB. Unlike many Powermetal fans, I believe Hansi has only one good tone (his rougher one) and I think he's good only for fast and rougher material. Imo, his voice doesn't suit ballads and slow songs at all and I never understood why Blind Guardian started to use his soft tone so much on NIME.

And I can hardly believe Kai Hansen wasn't mentioned in the poll. I would say Kai is an acquired taste, as for vocals. You really like him or not at all, probably. He's probably my favorite PM vocalist (forget about "To The Metal", however, he sucks on this album - like everything else on this piece of crap).
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
13.09.2010 - 03:11
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Tough choice, lots of great singers on that list! I voted for Hansi, but I could have very easily voted for Matt Barlow or DC Cooper, too.

Hansi was my choice since his voice is even more unique than the others. There is something in his timbre that cuts right into you and burrows there. It's quite addictive.

Two very underrated male power metal vocalists to mention are Niklas Isfeldt of Dream Evil and Heikki Pöyhiä of Twilightning. Technically, these guys have range for days, it never sounds like they're straining for notes, and their singing is supported nicely, especially Heikki. Artistically, they each have a great personal style.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
14.09.2010 - 03:34
I voted for Tony... his voice is just beautiful.

Non list - Mathias Blad (Falconer) is absolutely amazing...
----
Pervading every single nook of existence
15.09.2010 - 17:45
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by NocturnalPoetry on 14.09.2010 at 03:34

I voted for Tony... his voice is just beautiful.

Non list - Mathias Blad (Falconer) is absolutely amazing...

Oh, yes. Mathias Blad, how could I forget. I'm not the biggest Falconer fan, but that man sure has a VOICE on him. Probably some of the best technique in the genre, and certainly some of the most sweet singing. It's not typical of most power metal singers and that just makes it extra special to hear.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
15.09.2010 - 23:37
Ooo, also, i LOVE Jarkko Ahola's (Terasbetoni/ Northern Kings) voice... so powerful!
----
Pervading every single nook of existence