04. Relinquishment Of Spirit And Flesh
05. The Night Masquerade
06. Tormentor Of Christian Souls
07. Entrance
08. Master Of Disharmony
09. Prudence's Fall
10. A Succubus In Rapture
11. Raabjørn Speiler Draugheimens Skodde [bonus]

Enthrone Darkness Triumphant had been recorded and produced in January 1997 at Abyss Studios, which is located in Sweden. This was Dimmu Borgir's first release through Nuclear Blast records, as well as their first album to contain English lyrics. This album, to my knowledge is highly acclaimed, and their best selling as far as I know, from what I have read in other reviews and statistics. It is quite a milestone and had been a huge stepping stone for for the band, as it contains more profound musical structures. The melody in several songs, especially the opening for 'Mourning Palace' is quite superb sounding. The dark elements are more vivid, yet hellishly eerie than what they had shown in previous releases. If you don't believe me check out 'Relinquishment Of Spirit And Flesh'. Clearly what stands out in this album is the band's musicality, they display great musicianship, with far more structured songs. Check out, 'Spellbound By The Devil' as a grand example to hear how their collaboration seemed to take a great step forward.

Dimmu Borgir also exhibited much heavier, rhythmic riffs, and not to mention some decently melodic solos' which aren't bad to the ear at all. Especially seeing as Black Metal isn't renown for incorporating solos except for maybe Mayhem's 'Freezing Moon'. Overall, if you have not yet heard Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, or Dimmu Borgir for that matter, this is certainly an album worth listening to. I have placed it in my list of top Black Metal albums. The production for it was done quite well, especially when it comes to Black Metal production in general. And yes, for those who say Dimmu Borgir aren't Black Metal, they clearly are. They're Symphonic Black Metal, and they actually contain depth to them, unlike some of the countless 'raw/trve/elite' Black Metal bands, whom to me practically all sound the same.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written by Lord TJ | 18.10.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Windrider
Rating:
This album is called the greatest work of Dimmu Borgir, the high point in their career, but also the last to contain the norsk black metal style. Indeed it is a very good album, but nevertheless it is already nothing of black metal any more. Enthrone Darkness Triumphant was the first step into the direction of Cradle Of Filth, this can clearly be heard in the new production and songwriting style. But to keep unique in a way, Dimmu Borgir decided to fill the gap between black and symphonic with synth sounds. If you compare this album to their former effort Stormblåst, it is hard to believe that you listen to the same band with only one year difference.

Read more ››
published 08.01.2011 | Comments (4)

Guest review by
TheH2K
Rating:
In this review I want to voice my opinion about one of the best metal albums of all time.

First of all, changes after the previous albums are conspicuous enough to be mentioned. If we want to categorize Dimmu Borgir albums, there are four periods: The first wave (1993-1996), the second wave (1997-1999), the third wave (1999-2009) and the fully orchestral and choral era. This record is the beginning of Dimmu Borgir's second wave.

Read more ››
published 02.06.2020 | Comments (1)

Comments

Comments: 12   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 264 users
18.10.2007 - 21:09
Rating: 10
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
Excellent album, a masterpiece of the pre-symphonic Dimmu Borgir era.
Here there are amazing jewels as Mourning Palace, Spellbound, In Death's Embrace, Tormentor Of Christian Souls... Great!!!
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
20.10.2007 - 02:19
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Deffinitely an amazing an album, the beggining of their symphonic/melodic era, with great (even catchy IMO) songs and incredible production.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
26.12.2007 - 20:08
Rating: 7
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
This is the best album of Dimmu Borgir's Symphonic era... The others aren't as good IMO.

But this one... Dang, is pretty good. I used to listening to this album before falling asleep. A very nice experience.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
26.12.2007 - 22:00
VPeter

the last good Dimmu borgir album
18.12.2008 - 02:21
Rating: 9
Warman
Erotic Stains
This is one of the highlights in Symphonic Black Metal!
----
27.04.2009 - 06:06
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Amazing album. Never get tired of listen to this.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
18.09.2009 - 11:22
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Hail to king Darkness
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

25.09.2009 - 19:42
Rating: 8
InnerSelf
proofread free
My second favorite after their 2001
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
25.12.2009 - 18:30
SatyriconChick

Amazing album... Not the first Dimmu I heard, but the first one I actually bought. "A Succubus In Rapture" is my favorite track, but every song is great. Definitely a 10!
16.01.2010 - 19:57
Rating: 9
treptolemus
aphotic_zoning
I like the album a lot. One of my all-time favourites. Some songs are classic and they make me feel the same way like the first time i listened to the cd.
Mourning Palace, In Death's Embrace, Tormentor Of Christian Souls, Master Of Disharmony, Spellbound (By The Devil) Great songs
----
\m/etalstor\m/
05.06.2012 - 18:26
Infernal Eternal

Awesome album and review.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
29.11.2014 - 23:54
TPrice

The music is incredible. The lyrics are cheesy even by black metal standards.

Hits total: 7391 | This month: 7