Metal Storm logo
Gorgoroth - Twilight Of The Idols (In Conspiracy With Satan) review

Reviewer:

146 users:
Band: Gorgoroth
Album: Twilight Of The Idols (In Conspiracy With Satan)
Release date: August 2003

01. Procreating Satan
02. Proclaiming Mercy - Damaging Instinct Of Man
03. Exit - Through Carved Stones
04. Teeth Grinding
05. Forces Of Satan Storms
06. Blod og Minne
07. Of Ice And Movement...
08. Domine In Virtute tua Laetabitur Rex

Sometimes, when a band makes a damn good album, they screw up and release something that tries to follow the foot steps of their former top seller. This is the case. This album tries really hard to make the same imaginative and over all same effect as Incipit Satan that it slightly gives it a bad name. There are stand out tracks, but over all the other tracks are boring and for the most part? dull. Gaahl's vocals are good, as always, but the music and his vocals sometimes do not match up and he loses flavour in the long run. The best parts of this album though are well, its very violent, very aggressive, and very in your face with its sound.

The Good - The opening track, Procreating Satan, is also very fast and very aggressive, as were the other opening tracks with the last few Gorgoroth releases. The second song, Proclaiming Mercy - Damaging Instinct of Man, is also very fast, very aggressive, but not as fast as the first song. The third track, Exit Through Carved Stones, which is probably the best on the entire CD sounds more like a tribute song to Bathory, its very tempo driven, not changing in speed but only in depth and intensity. The next two songs, Teethgrinding and Forces Of Satan's Storms are intense and aggressive, like the first two songs. They do show that Gorgoroth are still extreme and very fitting of being a violent natured band and persons, as Gaahl in his life tends to show. Blod Og Minne does however stand out with the rest of the songs and has a hint of another Darkthrone feel to it, but not much and its not over done. It's a very good track that is done in their Mother Tongue, along with a very good array of drums being used to make a feel to the over all song. Simply enough, they never stop or slow down, its very fast paced. Of Ice And Movement is a good song as well, its fast but the vocals aren't fast to accept the music and make it brutal or well, extreme. And finally, the last track, which is a complete waste of time in my opinion is a keyboard outro, it proves nothing and is as I said, a waste of space.

The Bad - The songs that do stand out sound a little like the other songs. On this recording, there is too much of a good thing, that being brutal, violent, and aggressive music. They have pushed themselves very hard and very far and it does pay off, but their sound is somewhat dull at times and very mind numbing. But don't let that ruin it for you, listen to it and make your own choice.

Good songs - Procreating Satan, Proclaiming Mercy, Exit Through Carved Stones.

Written by Prugor | 28.04.2004

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 86 users
19.10.2007 - 23:59
O p e t h
Account deleted
i found this album very good. maby is because i like the band
21.08.2008 - 02:23
Rating: 8
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I blindly bought this album a year or two ago and when I played it, I thought it was crap. But, I played it in my car yesterday for only the second time ever and now I really like it. In typical Gorgoroth fashion, the album is quite short, and if you take out the filler at the end you probably only have about 25 minutes of music, but I don't mind the length. The thing that stood out the most for me is that they maintained a dark atmosphere while having excellent production.
29.07.2021 - 20:08
Rating: 8
BlankFile

It´s a very good record, it´s a grower... let´s say it like this.

Hits total: 5540 | This month: 17