Metal Storm logo
Helloween vs Gamma Ray

Original post

Posted by selken, 22.10.2007 - 19:36
Helloween and Gamma Ray are for me (and maybe for many people) the peak of both german and world's Power metal genre, product of the masterminds Hansen and Weikath. I first discovered Helloween, then GR, and when I discovered them, I felt like if I found a long time lost sound. the great voice of Hansen again. But Helloween has their stuff too, always experimenting with music, making for me one of the most innovative bands ever.
Both with kind of similar sounds yet with a notable unique style, this bands deserve to have an epic battle, so post your comments!!!!.

BTW I'm quite impressed because of this thread didn't existed before, maybe everybody thought that such a thread already existed

Poll

Yes, what's your favorite?

Helloween
Gamma Ray
Can't Choose!!!!

Total votes: 168
13.03.2012 - 18:48
Infernal Eternal

Quote:
Hope i win a prize for politest reply here enjoy

If there was a competition or sth about the most polite reply, I'm sure you'd be the winner!
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
22.04.2012 - 04:51
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
For me, Gamma Ray. Less cheesy lyrics (still cheesy) and better vocals.
But I also enjoy Helloween.
09.05.2012 - 01:40
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Im going with Helloween. I dicovered them a long time ago and was instantly hooked. Sure some of their stuff is cheesy (same with Gamma Ray, and almost every power metal band for that matter) but they sure do have some righteous songs. Gamma Ray i just found out about awhile back, still good, but im going with Helloween.
09.05.2012 - 22:52
Darth Revan

Gotta go with Gamma Ray. While Helloween does have some nice stuff, their latest album especially, I prefer Kai's singing to pretty much any vocalist Helloween has had (Well, he was on vocals in their first EP, but he was vocalist on Gamma Ray for a far longer period of time) and I generally prefer Gamma ray's style... though they have been losing it a bit lately. Also, offtopic... production for both Helloween and Gamma ray's latest albums seems to be... Well, murky. What was up with that?
09.05.2012 - 23:28
Metal Invader

Written by Darth Revan on 09.05.2012 at 22:52

Gotta go with Gamma Ray. While Helloween does have some nice stuff, their latest album especially, I prefer Kai's singing to pretty much any vocalist Helloween has had (Well, he was on vocals in their first EP, but he was vocalist on Gamma Ray for a far longer period of time) and I generally prefer Gamma ray's style... though they have been losing it a bit lately. Also, offtopic... production for both Helloween and Gamma ray's latest albums seems to be... Well, murky. What was up with that?

I can say for Helloween album:they reccorded album on calm frequency(natural ear frequency)to get calm atmosfere or "murky" as you said

Or if you want official: important aspect of "7 Sinners" is the instrument's tuning to chamber pitch 432, instead of 440. Although musicology agreed on 440 Hz in the 50ies, it's been found today, that 432 Hz is the more natural frequency for the human ear and therefore radiates a relaxing effect. It was the band's idea, to record this extremely hard album in a calm frequency and in such a way oppose balancing vibes subconsciously to the supposed agitation of Speed-Metal. Definitely a unique approach, at least in this genre.

Or you didnt mean that?:)
16.05.2012 - 01:15
Guib
Thrash Talker
Just cut the crap and vote Helloween all of you...
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
16.05.2012 - 15:28
Metal Invader

Written by Guib on 16.05.2012 at 01:15

Haha..nice one..Democracy at work!:) But i agree
30.05.2012 - 01:05
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Metal Invader on 16.05.2012 at 15:28

Written by Guib on 16.05.2012 at 01:15

Haha..nice one..Democracy at work!:) But i agree

I know eh
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
19.10.2017 - 23:58
Wuchak

I'm going to go with Helloween due to stellar albums like BETTER THAN RAW (1998), GAMBLING WITH THE DEVIL (2007), 7 SINNERS (2010) and STRAIGHT OUT OF HELL (2013). I'm not big on MY GOD-GIVEN RIGHT (2016) though.

Gamma Ray in the 90s didn't match the greatness of BETTER THAN RAW, as illustrated by the material on Gamma Ray's BLAST FROM THE PAST, although it's good. Moreover, Gamma Ray has a curious penchant for re-working old songs, like "Solid," which rips off Judas Priest's "Rapid Fire." In Kai's defense, he would no doubt defend these re-workings as homages.

That said, I think Gamma Ray's EMPIRE OF THE UNDEAD is just as good (or better) than the four Helloween albums noted above. Still, overall, my vote easily goes to Helloween.
02.03.2018 - 22:54
zdenoeddie

If I compare such albums as Powerplant, Land of the Free with albums from Helloween in this era, the equation has only 1 solution = Gamma Ray
----
Up the Irons!!!
http://www.last.fm/user/zdenoeddie
09.05.2018 - 03:52
Drippy.Hippie

Helloween by far!!

Gamma Ray sounds too influenced by that happy 'flower metal' sound and I also find the NWO/Conspiracy themes to be extremely repellent (almost to the point that I feel that I must compromise my intellectual integrity to make a connection with the band).

Seriously, has Kai Hansen forgotten how to make rugged, German Metal with a speed/thrash edge? Even Helloween's less classic Power Metal albums are far better! (It's the closest thing to 'Flower Metal' I enjoy)
----
What is the difference between the man who fools you from the pulpit, and the other man who fools you from the platform?
Both of them seek to obtain power over you - To rule your mind, control your property interests or labor power.
07.07.2018 - 00:40
Helloween 4 life!
07.07.2018 - 11:49
JoHn Doe

Helloween by far
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
09.09.2018 - 16:32
Nucky

Helloween.
16.10.2018 - 23:40
mskywalker18

Is there still Gamma Ray anyway? After the announcement that Helloween will have a new album with Kai and Kiske in 2019... Sure a tour will follow... So next Gamma Ray album in 2022...???

My vote went for Gamma Ray just for the record