04. Be What You Want
05. Memphis Water
06. No Questions Asked
07. Into The Gutter
08. Sometimes Your Love
09. Leavin' Today
10. Preachin'
11. Always

Listen! If you like Hard Rock and use to watch That 70s Show all day long, well to sum up, if you're believe that the music was better 30 years ago, I have good news for you which come from Ireland. "Rise" is the first album of The Answer, a young combo which uses to play a great Hard Rock and damn for a first effort I can tell you that the band has released an amazing album. No doubt these young guys know what good music is!

I read on a "trendy" rock magazine that The Answer was the new White Stripes? Hum, I don't know where they find their journalists but probably in the vegetable part of some supermarkets? How is it possible to compare a poor trendy Pop/Rock band with a combo full of class and which obviously know what is Rock? The Answer is not a commercial combo, this is a great Hard Rock band and their first album "Rise" is the leaving proof that Ireland is still one of the best countries when it comes to discover great Rock bands (do you remember Thin Lizzy or Rory Gallagher?). "Rise" is superb, full of catchy riffs, and I like to listen to it again and again because it's a perfect blending of Blues, Rock and Hard Rock. Like with Led Zeppelin or AC/DC, our four young dudes play an hypnotic music and if "Under The Sky" is a perfect angry heavy Rock n Roll song, "Memphis Water" is at the opposite a cool bluesy rock track. "Rise" is varied actually because you'll be able to listen to fast songs like ballads, but every time, don't worry, the real spirit of great Rock n Roll is here.

For a first album it's damnly impressive and it seems that The Answer already know how to write perfect rock sounds. It's maybe not super original, after all it is classic 70's Hard Rock, but the band is really mature and their music like their lyrics are really intelligent. "Rise" is groovy and bluesy and the performance of the musicians is impressive. The voice Cormac Neeson has this little hoarsy resonance which is perfect for this kind of music (he is a great singer you'll see!), Paul Mahon is able to play really good soli and the two other guys, Michael Waters and James Heatley aren't simple "guests". I mean that like with all the great Hard Rock bands, we can hear the bass and the rhythm produce by the drums is really catchy. With a great production, some classy songs and then a great performance of our four musicians, "Rise" is for me the Hard Rock album of the year, and it's been a long time that we didn't have the chance to listen to something like that? The fans of classic bands like Led Zeppelin, Free, AC/DC or Thin Lizzy will finally be able to find for them something new which deserve to be listened to?

Don't wait anymore, "Rise" is a must if you like good Rock n Roll. Please, don't believe and listen to these journalists who compare this band to some trendy radio bands. The Answer is a real good band which plays great music and damn, if they can confirm my words on their upcoming album, I'm sure that they will become cult. "Rise" is for now one of the best surprises of the year and one of my big recommendations. Thumb-Up to the Answer, rock is not dead!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 23.10.2007

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 115 users
23.10.2007 - 13:50
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Great band, saw them live this summer! Awesome
27.10.2007 - 20:04
Beautiful War
Account deleted
Hey man, this is kind of blasphemous to say on a metal site, but I actually really like the White Stripes. They are one of the best and most original indie bands out there. Most of these trendy bands disappear like 2 years after releasing their first album, but not so with the WS. Anyway, from your review I'm very interested in this album.
19.10.2008 - 22:37
addiction

Kick ass band dude! really enjoyed what i've listened to so far!
----
alive in the superunknown
14.11.2008 - 11:39
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
What a great album... decided to check them out because they are opening for AC/DC this Monday and I wanted to get a little of their material under my belt so I get a little perspective... instead I ended up listening to this ALL DAY. Great Review Jeff!
18.11.2008 - 14:52
Syk
myspace/bonerama
I just saw them play on Letterman's Late Show and thought they sounded like a good group inspired by Led Zep (very Led Zep). Might pick this up, and apparently they have another coming in February
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays

Hits total: 8703 | This month: 13