02. Riot Act
03. Funeral Hymn
04. Children Of A Worthless God
05. As It Was, As It Soon Shall Be
06. The Atrocity Exhibition
07. Iconoclasm
08. The Garden Of Bleeding
09. Bedlam 123

The mighty thrash juggernaut Exodus is back after two years with the first of the two planned "The Atrocity Exhibition" albums, "Exhibit A" and they are here to take no prisoners and make no friends. Exodus has always been about thrash metal, but since the return of these monsters of the genre in 2004 with "Tempo Of The Damned" they have been going from strength to strength as thrash metal rises in popularity once more.

"Exhibit A" launches properly with "Riot Act" and an astounding, razor sharp guitar riff like you have never heard before slices through your ears in true Exodus style. This is as sharp as guitar playing gets, each riff sounding like a razor blade cutting through steel. Fast paced, pounding drums, thundering bass guitar and the howls of Rob Dukes on vocals. The last three years have not been the easiest for Exodus, band member changes always seem to follow the band, but the thing with Exodus is that they keep going just the same as they always have, seemingly regardless of the members. The title track "The Atrocity Exhibition" possesses an almost haunting riff reminiscent of what people would associate with the "devil's music" this is really unlike any sound Exodus have made before. The three tracks after this demonic statement are also three of the best on this modern thrash opus.

Track lengths have grown and grown with Exodus, on an album with eight songs - five of them weigh in at a hefty eight minutes or longer which of course is a great thing if the tracks stay interesting, always have something going on in them and are sure to keep your attention. Unfortunately this is not exactly the case with this offering. "Riot Act", the title track and tracks after that are great songs - the album has its fair share of numbers that will impress, but also it has its share of songs that will leave the listener wishing the band would just pick up the aggression like we know they can do so well. "Funeral Hymn" and "Children Of A Worthless God" are both long songs and together are a significant chunk of the album, yet neither seem particularly inspired or are as extreme as we know Exodus can be. This is off-putting but if you can stay awake through the calm after the original "Riot Act" storm, the reward, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, certainly come towards the end of the album.

Produced by Andy Sneap we know this album will sound good, but the production and sound of the guitars on this album are seismic, probably the sharpest album I have ever heard. Another thing that never fails to disappoint with an Exodus album is Jack Gibson always finding ways of getting his bass guitar heard among the oratory, guitar and drumming assault. This album could not have been produced better.

"The Atrocity Exhibition... Exhibit A" is a fabulous album of galloping, thundering thrash metal in true Exodus style and a good edition to the Exodus catalogue. It may have its placid moments, but this album also has its moments of sheer thrash attack. Alas you cannot help but wonder how much of a classic album it would have been if they had used the best tracks from "Exhibit A" and "Exhibit B" just for one single album. Still, the Exodus juggernaut continues to roll, crushing everything it its path.

Written on 23.10.2007 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 35   Visited by: 183 users
23.10.2007 - 20:43
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Should be interesting, I'm going to check it out.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
23.10.2007 - 20:56
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
Good review, nothing more to say.
23.10.2007 - 21:18
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.10.2007 at 20:56

Good review, nothing more to say.

Hmm, don't you think this review seems slightly exaggerated at some points? While he does describe how the band sounds, it seems like many reviews I come across about the band's sound being 'this and that', when it really isn't or at least to the point that they describe it...

I shall check it out anyway and make up my own mind, although I don't think this review will help with my expectations.
24.10.2007 - 01:05
Rating: 7
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
They seem to be covering very familiar terrain, I may be wrong because I didn't gave it that much time to sink in, but it sounds exactly like the previous album, only less catchy. It's still very well produced, raw and there are definitely some great riffs and solos, and Exodus is not one of those bands I want to see doing something different, they're great doing exactly what they do, but I'd place Tempo Of The Damned and Shovel Headed Kill Machine above this one.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
24.10.2007 - 03:33
Rating: 6
Syk
myspace/bonerama
This album has been streamable from beginning to end for at least a week I listened to it like ten times! Their myspace has been changed now that the album is out properly but you can still listen to a bunch of songs from it.

Riot Act is the only really good song here (now happily ingrained in my brain), Iconoclasm is also fairly good and then my next favourite, the title track, is only good for half its duration. I thought Bedlam was bad to mediocre while Soon and Garden are just awful.

The lyrics are pretty shit too, with Act's early backing-less scream of "(something) COUP D'ETAT!" being the only highlight I can remember. "I never gave an expletive about the Middle East" is just one of the lowlights...

Baz is right about the production being strong but the unspiration of the riffs means it doesn't count for so much. Good review I guess, if a bit too positive

Oh yeah I forgot one thing... I was seriously disturbed by the (although minimal) use of clean vocals. That, combined with the massive groove factor makes it sound way too much like Machine Head or Trivium, which is never a good thing
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
24.10.2007 - 03:47
HardSide
So why the 7.8 if the review suggests its such a good album?
24.10.2007 - 10:17
GT
Coffee!!
staff
After reading the review I got the feeling the rating wasn't fair...the general atmosphere of the review is very positive so I was thinking 8.5-9 the whole time. After listening to the album though I agree with the given rating (might rate it a little lower myself). It has some really good songs but also some boring and uninspiring ones.

Favorite tracks: Riot Act and Children Of A Worthless God
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
24.10.2007 - 16:37
Sunioj
Its a great album alrite, just some of the songs are just long as hell. Fair rating I'd say, and Children Of A Worthless God is a great song, that is true.
24.10.2007 - 20:08
DreamWeaver
elite
Written by HardSide on 24.10.2007 at 03:47

7.8 is a good rating.
----
24.10.2007 - 20:10
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite

Because a 7.8 is close to an 8, which means 'very good'.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
24.10.2007 - 20:37
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin

1. Worst. Album Ever
2. Pure Shit
3. Very Bad
4. Bad
5. Not Bad
6. Average
7. Good
8. Very Good
9. Brilliant
10. Perfect

How is an album rating between "Good" and "Very Good", leaning towards "Very Good" not an appropriate score?

Too many people at MS overinflate ratings. Too many people dole out 9's and 10's like AOL discs. The bands themselves that read reviews on sites like this or in mags have expressed that they are cool with reviews chock full of positive comments with scores in the 7-8 range.

Here's some reality for people: NOt every good album is a 9 or 10, and not every mediocre album is a 1-2.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.10.2007 - 12:56
Ereinion'
Account deleted
good review and the grade is fair

The thing i like the most with this album are the 8min long songs you really don't hear that often with thrash metal.
25.10.2007 - 15:30
Inlé
Nice review, I need to try this album out at some point over the day. Long songs are ok if your attention is kept up throughout. But it sounds like a pretty good album from what you say
26.10.2007 - 20:25
okt31
Account deleted
Fair enough, this album is at times excellent, at times too modern for my taste. The melodic vocals in CHildren... don't fit, it reminds me of metalcore.
The mark is right, I'd say the same, around 8/10.
27.10.2007 - 03:13
Sunioj
Written by Guest on 26.10.2007 at 20:25

Fair enough, this album is at times excellent, at times too modern for my taste. The melodic vocals in CHildren... don't fit, it reminds me of metalcore.

I also think that it remind me of core. But thats just fine with me since alot of thrash bands is influenced by core elements. Its all good.
27.10.2007 - 21:06
Cannibal Den
Account deleted
Well damn...sorry for my positivity, but i personally think this is the best album of the year 2007!! i just can't stop listening to it ! Agreed, it does'nt break any new grounds or anything, but man that is some sweet metal!!!!!

All tracks are excellent (exept iconoclasts) pure unadulterated in your face metal...I can't wait for Exhibit B!

Thank god Thrash metal is making a comeback...Exodus still rule even 20 years in the game!!
01.11.2007 - 23:13
ParabelluM
Account deleted
I checked out that album and it kicks ass!! I'm following exodus like 14 years ago, and they will come again to argentina. He who like exodus will crush down here and go to see them live. I actually have my ticket here!!
04.11.2007 - 12:29
Blood Work
Account deleted
Just got the album and The Atrocity Exhibition grab my attention from the start. I love A Call to Arms, the intro is awsum, however I think the album dies in the end but even still 7.8 is a deserved score. Hope Exhibit B will be a bit better.
08.11.2007 - 22:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
No mention of the hidden track at the end of the album?
A hillbilly version of Bonded By Blood which the band calls Bonded By Bnajo.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.11.2007 - 00:12
Fairëalkon
This album is very good, but it doesn't show what Exodus can do!
----
... ?
01.12.2007 - 07:31
Rating: 10
Ahto
Written by Guest on 27.10.2007 at 21:06

Well damn...sorry for my positivity, but i personally think this is the best album of the year 2007!! i just can't stop listening to it ! Agreed, it does'nt break any new grounds or anything, but man that is some sweet metal!!!!!

All tracks are excellent (exept iconoclasts) pure unadulterated in your face metal...I can't wait for Exhibit B!

Thank god Thrash metal is making a comeback...Exodus still rule even 20 years in the game!!

i totally agree what you think man... seriously this album is the best of 2007 and it has a really important place in the metal history IMO. and for the children of the worthless god, it is the best song of the album with the atrocity exhibition and no fucking way it has any core influence.
02.12.2007 - 11:25
yorgenson
Account deleted
I already I heard the new album and he is not bad,What I didn't love this
all the songs in the albom is so long And this starts to be tedious but
The album really rhythmical.
16.01.2008 - 06:51
Rating: 10
DoomGuard
great lyrics, great guitar, great vocals...an amazing album all around...can't wait to see them in 10 days

Bought this album just to see how these guys follow up with the SHKM album that was a masterpiece in itself
16.01.2008 - 21:15
Rating: 9
Infurnace
One of my favorite albums of 2007. It contains some of the best Exodus songs i've ever heard. "Children Of A Worthless God" is one of my favorites.
15.07.2009 - 01:20
Rating: 8
Nicko's Nose
It's an awesome album. It doesn't deserve all of the negative reviews (check The Metal Archives).
10.08.2009 - 23:19
Senor Thrash
Account deleted
'neither seem particularly inspired or are as extreme as we know Exodus can be. This is off-putting but if you can stay awake through the calm'

What are you talkin about? These are 2 of the best songs on the album and children is one of the best songs i've heard in ages!

They might not be as extreme as other exodus but they're still sweet songs!
12.04.2010 - 14:02
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I was very disappointed with this album when I heard it. After the modern time thrash classic "Tempo Of The Damned", and the not quite as good, but still great SHKM, I had high expectations for "Exhibit A". Id rate the album a bit lower than the reviewer, a 6, or maybe a 7 if I was feeling very generous. I also dont agree about "Children Of A Worthless God" being one of the weakest on the album. For me, it is definitely one of the strongest, and the fact it's more melodic and Rob actually sings in it makes it stand out. When most of the other songs feature interchangable, and unmemorable riffs. "Riot Act". "Children Of A Worthless God", and the title track are all amazing songs. But the rest just didnt stick with me at all. Despite this, I have very high hopes for "Exhibit B", as the 2 songs Ive heard have been awesome. And I heard a bit of ''Beyond The Pale'' as well, which also sounds great!
13.04.2010 - 13:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.04.2010 at 14:02

I was very disappointed with this album when I heard it. After the modern time thrash classic "Tempo Of The Damned", and the not quite as good, but still great SHKM, I had high expectations for "Exhibit A". Id rate the album a bit lower than the reviewer, a 6, or maybe a 7 if I was feeling very generous. I also dont agree about "Children Of A Worthless God" being one of the weakest on the album. For me, it is definitely one of the strongest, and the fact it's more melodic and Rob actually sings in it makes it stand out. When most of the other songs feature interchangable, and unmemorable riffs. "Riot Act". "Children Of A Worthless God", and the title track are all amazing songs. But the rest just didnt stick with me at all. Despite this, I have very high hopes for "Exhibit B", as the 2 songs Ive heard have been awesome. And I heard a bit of ''Beyond The Pale'' as well, which also sounds great!

I almost agree 100% with you. Except for the part on SHKM. I find that one even more boring and pedestrian than Exhibit A. And to me Children Of A wWorthless God is the highlight of the album as well. But of course , like you said, Tempo Of The Damned is still THE modern day thrash classic.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.04.2010 - 15:45
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.04.2010 at 13:55
I almost agree 100% with you. Except for the part on SHKM. I find that one even more boring and pedestrian than Exhibit A. And to me Children Of A wWorthless God is the highlight of the album as well. But of course , like you said, Tempo Of The Damned is still THE modern day thrash classic.

Hmm...I find SHKM better than Exhibit A, because I think the songs sound more individual, Aside from the 3 songs I mentioned, (and ''As It Was...") all the songs on Exhibit A sound more or less the same, there's no variation. For me, the worst song on SHKM is '' '44 Magnum Opus'', being that is totally unmemorable, and is just brutal for being brutal's sake. The fact the song is also long, does it no favours at all. Most of the songs on Exhibit A I find very similar stylistically to that song, and that's why I don't like them much. Out of those songs, only "Funeral Hymn" actually has the potential to be a very good song, but it's too long, especially it's dull intro. And ''As It Was, As It Soon Shall Be" sounds like an inferior copy of ''Shudder To Think" from SHKM. The length of the songs on its own isnt the problem. The title track is the longest song on the album, and its awesome! "Children...." is also a long song, which also happens to be my fave song on the album. But the longer a song is, the more it has to do to hold my attention, and most of the songs sound too identikit, with boring riffs to even be great short songs, let alone long songs!

Yeah well, with ''Tempo...'' they really set the standard for thrash in the modern era. Being one of the very few modern day albums that is actually worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as classic thrash albums of the 80's. I find the problem with the album's since then, is Gary is trying too hard to make the music more "brutal'' and as a result, the material overall is suffering. Gary has said that the new album is more melodic than the previous 2, and that, coupled with what I have heard from it gives me a lot of hope it will be a great album. Certainly the best with Rob Dukes on the mic! Whether it can match ''Tempo...'' though remains to be seen.
13.04.2010 - 16:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.04.2010 at 15:45

Yeah well, with ''Tempo...'' they really set the standard for thrash in the modern era. Being one of the very few modern day albums that is actually worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as classic thrash albums of the 80's. I find the problem with the album's since then, is Gary is trying too hard to make the music more "brutal'' and as a result, the material overall is suffering. Gary has said that the new album is more melodic than the previous 2, and that, coupled with what I have heard from it gives me a lot of hope it will be a great album. Certainly the best with Rob Dukes on the mic! Whether it can match ''Tempo...'' though remains to be seen.

Yep, that is the problem with current Exodus that Gary tries to be brutal for brutality's sake (which was the biggest problem with SHKM). Exodus was never really about the brutality but always more about the melody. That is why both Tempo Of The Damned and especially Bonded By Blood are my favs, cause of the melodies on those two.. Just listen to live favourite And Then There Were None (especially the chorus), Metal Command, A Lesson In Violence. Many people blame Dukes for the current sound. But that is just pathetic cause Holt is the main cmposer and Dukes actually sounds a lot like a cross between Zetro and Baloff and not at all as the hardcore shouter people make him out to be.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 12831 | This month: 13