06. The Supreme Abstract
07. Our Blessed Frozen Cells
08. Devilish Essence
09. The Howling Of God
10. Inner Mental Cage
11. Density
12. Procession Of The Dead Clowns
13. Mighty Trust Krusher [Godflesh cover]

Stemming from the brain of twisted genius Vindsval emanates Blut Aus Nord's black metal masterpiece: "The Work Which Transforms God." With such a grandiose album title you'd expect nothing less from the French trio.

Imagine yourself stranded alone in a post-apocalyptic metropolis that's cloaked in a blanket of perpetual darkness and despair, violent storms evoking harrowing winds that crush the dead structures that surround you, all the while you cower pathetically in a tiny hole waiting for your timely death... This is just one of the countless possible nightmares this piece will allow you the displeasure of experiencing. I hate to talk about "atmospheres" when it comes to black metal as it seems a little contrived nowadays but with this album it's unavoidable. So, for the purpose of this review I'll restrict my description to simple, concise words:

Crushing. Nihilistic. Cold. Terrifying.

All these give some indication of the disparity that this nasty yet beautiful work of art exudes; however, you'll have to listen to it for yourself to fully comprehend this.

The opener of the album, pretentiously entitled "End," is designed to lull the listener into a false sense of security with its near silent, almost ambient sounds of thuds and bangs that seem to echo down an empty corridor, all before throwing you head first into the albums first highlight "The Choir of the Dead." Seemingly chaotic riffs combined with insane, yet intricate drum beats that only the madman W.D.Feld could execute appear to serve as a failed barrier, trying to protect you from Vindsval's tortured shrieks that will leave you rocking back and fourth with your ears bleeding profusely. The track has unquestionable substance such as the howls of demented beings and unidentifiable industrial clicks and moans that only repeated listens will reveal.

Short ambient/industrial tracks such as "The Fall" and "Devilish Essence" will keep you second guessing this record as it tricks you into feeling safe with its odd piano notes and the droning whir of machinery in the background, whereas the mid-paced "Metamorphosis," which is much more vocally prolific than other tracks, keeps you feeling decidedly uncomfortable as Vindsval's croaks continually taunt you throughout the slow plodding march toward the end. The album's second highlight comes in the form of what could be described as the most accessible song: "Our Blessed Frozen Cells." Lengthy and much more coherent than the other songs, it's split into two distinct sections the first being a sinister slow march, much like "Metamorphosis" whereas the second part, after a short ambient section, has the most pleasant and melodic music you'll hear on this album and is comforting with it's echoing guitars and slow drums. The final section, after the 18 seconds of silence from "Density," is a looping, wonderfully emotive and melancholic instrumental piece and is undoubtedly the best song on the album. This song, "Procession of the Dead Clowns," will make you feel like you've died and are on a slow journey to the afterlife. Inspiring stuff.

With its mixture of complex, pummelling drums, dissonant guitar work and minimal vocals combined with artful use of ambience and industrial effects all encompassed by crisp, clear yet raw production, Blut Aus Nord have created a truly unique Black Metal opus with unparalleled atmosphere that I'm unable to compare with anything else I've ever heard. You need to hear this.

Written by | 06.01.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 56   Visited by: 265 users
25.04.2012 - 03:48
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Boxcar Willy on 25.04.2012 at 03:47

Joe edited it, and it resubmitted it

The Work Which Transforms God review THE RE-RE-RE-REMIX!
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
25.04.2012 - 03:55
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Wonderful review. Your descriptive abilities are remarkable and paint a vivid picture. I haven't been in very much of a black metal mood for a while, yet you've sold me on this one. I'm seeking this.
25.04.2012 - 06:34
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
So.... this thread is entirely too much like mod work.

please keep it relatively on topic... staff/e folks, that also applies to you as well.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
31.08.2012 - 01:07
Rating: 8
Oaken
Hipster
Going back through this recently, and I don't think it's as great as used to think. The whole album pales in comparison to The Procession Of Dead Clowns/Our Blessed Frozen Cells. That being said, I'm not a great fan of dissonance.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
07.08.2013 - 16:53
Rating: 9
Erik M.

Excellent review, easily one of the best reviews on MS.

And damn, this album is indeed just totally unique (maybe it resembles Lurker of Chalice a bit?) and crushing.
07.08.2013 - 17:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Erik M. on 07.08.2013 at 16:53

And damn, this album is indeed just totally unique (maybe it resembles Lurker of Chalice a bit?)...

then you must certainly mean that Lurker Of Chalice resembles TWWTG a bit since TWWTG is two years older
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.08.2013 - 17:05
Rating: 9
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I don't hear any Lurker Of Chalice here at all. The only common things for me would be that it's labeled Black and they are unique.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.08.2014 - 19:05
V01d

Written by Guest on 24.04.2012 at 23:50

God, what a terrible review.

Good album though.

I apologize for unearthing a two year old post, but I really enjoyed this review, and your sense of almost humility/reverence for this wonderful album. One question, who did the vocals for this release? I tried looking up some information regarding this, as some say that a character named Taysiah did vocals for this album.
27.08.2014 - 20:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by V01d on 27.08.2014 at 19:05

I apologize for unearthing a two year old post, but I really enjoyed this review, and your sense of almost humility/reverence for this wonderful album. One question, who did the vocals for this release? I tried looking up some information regarding this, as some say that a character named Taysiah did vocals for this album.

While I may dislike the review I guess this is the most fanboyish I've ever been. Back then this music was totally new to me and I was barely scratching the world of black metal. I often wish I could go back and explore this kind of music all over again.

As for this Taysiah character, I honestly have no knowledge of what he or she did on this. I always thought Vindsval did everything on it, but the Taysiah name seems to crop up a lot of a session vocalist here. Sounds like a good opportunity to play this through and have a close examination for the first time in a long while!
27.08.2014 - 22:03
V01d

Written by Guest on 27.08.2014 at 20:09

Written by V01d on 27.08.2014 at 19:05

While I may dislike the review I guess this is the most fanboyish I've ever been. Back then this music was totally new to me and I was barely scratching the world of black metal. I often wish I could go back and explore this kind of music all over again.

As for this Taysiah character, I honestly have no knowledge of what he or she did on this. I always thought Vindsval did everything on it, but the Taysiah name seems to crop up a lot of a session vocalist here. Sounds like a good opportunity to play this through and have a close examination for the first time in a long while!

Judging from the countless fanboyish reviews I'm sure we've all seen, this is done very tastefully. I just experienced this album for the first time a couple nights ago, and words can't even describe. If Silent Hill were a band, this would be it, even more so than The Axis of Perdition, I'd say.

I only have the three albums prior as a reference, yet from what I can hear the screams sound just like Vindsval's. Perhaps Taysiah was moreso involved in the backround moans/chants? I can only speculate. Cannot wait to revisit this album, myself! I am still disoriented from the first initial listen.
27.08.2014 - 22:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by V01d on 27.08.2014 at 22:03

Judging from the countless fanboyish reviews I'm sure we've all seen, this is done very tastefully. I just experienced this album for the first time a couple nights ago, and words can't even describe. If Silent Hill were a band, this would be it, even more so than The Axis of Perdition, I'd say.

I only have the three albums prior as a reference, yet from what I can hear the screams sound just like Vindsval's. Perhaps Taysiah was moreso involved in the backround moans/chants? I can only speculate. Cannot wait to revisit this album, myself! I am still disoriented from the first initial listen.

Well you still have a way to go through BaN's discog! If you liked the purely industrial / dark ambient tracks from it then you'll certainly like the Thematic Emanation... EP. Not really sure any descriptions can prepare you for MoRT though.
27.08.2014 - 22:17
V01d

Written by Guest on 27.08.2014 at 22:08

Written by V01d on 27.08.2014 at 22:03

Well you still have a way to go through BaN's discog! If you liked the purely industrial / dark ambient tracks from it then you'll certainly like the Thematic Emanation... EP. Not really sure any descriptions can prepare you for MoRT though.

I really enjoyed that EP; it came with the TWWTG album as a two disc set. I believe you said somewhere else before, Thematic....is a continuation of Procession of the Dead Clowns (for the first two tracks at least), Level 2 being interesting but my least favorite. I really enjoyed the experimentation employed on that EP, as I had no clue what to expect from each track. BaN is well on its way to toppling the illustrious throne of DsO (for me, anyway) if they keep this up. Whereas DsO is almost constantly in your face, BaN just seem to be much more dynamic to me.
27.08.2014 - 22:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by V01d on 27.08.2014 at 22:17

I really enjoyed that EP; it came with the TWWTG album as a two disc set. I believe you said somewhere else before, Thematic....is a continuation of Procession of the Dead Clowns (for the first two tracks at least), Level 2 being interesting but my least favorite. I really enjoyed the experimentation employed on that EP, as I had no clue what to expect from each track. BaN is well on its way to toppling the illustrious throne of DsO (for me, anyway) if they keep this up. Whereas DsO is almost constantly in your face, BaN just seem to be much more dynamic to me.

Oh yeah I forgot you said you got the album + EP package so makes sense you'd listen to them as one. I agree, Level 2 is somewhat of a low point; the style doesn't quite match the rest. BaN definitely know how to keep things interesting at least.
27.08.2014 - 22:32
V01d

All in all, I think the hype that surrounds this album is warranted. From what I hear about Mort, it is an exercise in industrialized ambient minimalism, or to some such effect. If that's the case, I can't wait to see how far down the rabbit hole goes.
13.12.2016 - 01:26
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 24.04.2012 at 23:50

God, what a terrible review.

Good album though.

I agree with both of these statements.
13.12.2016 - 01:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.12.2016 at 01:26

13.12.2016 - 01:35
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.12.2016 at 01:32

Written by Guest on 13.12.2016 at 01:26

19.12.2016 - 02:46
VIG
Account deleted
You think this review is bad? check out mine on Hatred For Mankind, i was such a noob.
21.12.2016 - 00:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.12.2016 at 02:46

You think this review is bad? check out mine on Hatred For Mankind, i was such a noob.

Well everyone has to start somewhere!
21.12.2016 - 00:40
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.12.2016 at 00:39

I guess so.
21.12.2016 - 08:22
Mik
Account deleted
This review is great, and it shows well you going wet over this record . I remember thinking the same though. The first couple of weeks I was listening to it pretty much non stop. Miss those times.
02.01.2017 - 22:19
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.12.2016 at 00:39

I just recently was considering writing my own review for this album, but mine would be far worse then yours, and i would give it a perfect 10, and then it would seem to people like i only review albums i think are perfect. Ill wait after ive written a couple more i think
02.01.2017 - 22:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.01.2017 at 22:19

I just recently was considering writing my own review for this album, but mine would be far worse then yours, and i would give it a perfect 10, and then it would seem to people like i only review albums i think are perfect. Ill wait after ive written a couple more i think

I think most people who start out reviewing probably want to review the 10 / 10 albums as they're the ones that have the biggest impact on a person. Nothing wrong with holding out for a bit though
02.01.2017 - 22:25
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.01.2017 at 22:21

Written by Guest on 02.01.2017 at 22:19

I think most people who start out reviewing probably want to review the 10 / 10 albums as they're the ones that have the biggest impact on a person. Nothing wrong with holding out for a bit though

That makes sense. I don't know what i would review if I don't review an album I love. Right now I have no ideas and have no time to write a review any time soon, so I shouldn't be worried
02.01.2017 - 23:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.01.2017 at 22:25

That makes sense. I don't know what i would review if I don't review an album I love. Right now I have no ideas and have no time to write a review any time soon, so I shouldn't be worried

Reviewing albums you love or hate are the easiest ones to review. Mediocre or average ones are quite difficult I found.
03.01.2017 - 13:24
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.01.2017 at 23:27

Written by Guest on 02.01.2017 at 22:25

Reviewing albums you love or hate are the easiest ones to review. Mediocre or average ones are quite difficult I found.

Yeah I thought so.

Hits total: 9978 | This month: 9