Metal Storm logo
Yngwie Malmsteen's Giant Ego

04.06.2006 - 07:59
Aresius
Account deleted

Just like the old one...Malmsteen's personality has caused criticism through all these years...Once he told Guitar Magazine's John Stix in 1986 that Eddie Van Halen was "afraid to meet him"...He has also taken similar jabs at Vinnie Moore, The White Stripes, Jon Bon Jovi, Weezer's Rivers Cuomo, and Steve Vai...Also both his friends and "enemies" have said that he has a giant ego, and that he usually gets provoked and acts intolerably...I am a huge fan of Yngwie, and he is awesome, but some people think that because of his talent he has the right to insult other musicians...and I don't think thats Ok

04.06.2006 - 08:14
Icewings
La Luna
Hey ....I agree with what you said ''people think that because of his talent he has the right to insult other musicians...and I don't think thats Ok'',I think that even if you know so so so so so much of something you can't critize other people ..you know why ?Because you were never born with what you know today ...so once he was ignorant about his passion, and well I'm sure he is ignorant in other things because no one is perfect ..yeah he is a remarkable musician but not a remarkable human being , because arrogance and ego doesn't led you anywhere .....Good thread
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
04.06.2006 - 09:02
Aresius
Account deleted

Oh thanks...I think its a good one, some people called it stupid...but what do I know...I get what you're saying, on the old thread, some people said like "who cares about his personality, he is an amazing guitarist"...duh, I know he is amazing, I have all his albums, etc...Im his fan, but I dont like his behavior...big deal...and I dont care if he has a cocky personality, but what Im saying is that he cant go on saying you're an asshole just cause he is a good guitarist...I dont know, its very hard to explain...

04.06.2006 - 09:20
Icewings
La Luna
Hey Back ..Lol looks like we are gonna be here for some time ...but yeah is a good thing to talk about and like I said it is a good thread ...and well you'll see that I'm the type of person who dislikes someone who is judgemental and close minded ...like I was saying in the poser thread don't take me wrong , but I don't think is good to be an asshole because you knwo so much ..how arrogant I don't like that at all..I mean you could be the best and the best and know so much but don't forget were you came from ..aLSO I respect opinions but I do think behavior matters , because the music is the soul of the artist and I don't want to hear soemthing that was made out of arrogance yeah it is music and I love my music but the messege is not good at all ...and I get what you are saying I completely agree and is no right and besides he is not God ....he has mistakes too and he doesn't see that ...and well you know sometime logn ago I learned that a true person who has a true spirit for the art and everything will never be consided ...I mean I don't know of he is trying to prove to himself soemthing because it looks liek that but nahhhh you don't far in life ..... anyways hope to see you soon
----

05.06.2006 - 02:13
Daru Jericho

Yeah, everyone's heard about his ego and it's pretty poor. I remember he said that Dream Theater's 'Under A Glass Moon' didn't take any skill.

Also, after he went up to Eddie Van Halen and boasted about how he could play Spanish Fly with ease, forwards, backwards etc, Eddie replied "But did you write it?" I thought that was good place-putting (in?).
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

05.06.2006 - 05:43
Hyvaarin

Haha, now that's an owning!

While I despise the insulting of other musicians, I think Yngwie's ego is really cool. It adds to his rock star personaly/image, and really cements his place as a significant/memorable guitarist.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
07.06.2006 - 02:55
Ibanez07
Account deleted
Well, I don't know if it's worth writing cuz I have no fact/sources here, but I heard somewhere that he writes a lot of his own reviews... Nonetheless, if any of you read guitar magazines you'll know what I'm talking about...

Apparently one time on an airplane some woman spilled a cup of water on his head over and arguement they were having or something... To which he responded with, "You have unleashed the fucking fury!"

...True story.

But yeah, he's very egotistical...you can tell by just LOOKING at his pictures...
07.06.2006 - 04:23
Aresius
Account deleted
yeah I remember...apparently he threatened to kill a fellow passenger on a flight to Tokyo, Japan after the woman poured a glassful of water on him...she said Yngwie was making ofensive comments about homosexuals...lol, so she decided to "atack" him...a member of Yngwie's touring staff or something like that, had a tape recorder running...so here it is...Yngwie said he was "assaulted" by the offended passenger...please...its just a cup of water, wtf...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/yngwie_tokyo_flight.mp3
08.06.2006 - 01:59
kakalokola

whoi the fuck he think he is ? alrigfht he is great guitarist !! but no body can beat van halen !!
besides i warm up with malmsteen's stuff.. but i dont say am the bets guitarist !!
08.06.2006 - 05:16
Aresius
Account deleted
Ok...I know he is an asshole, but he is way too much better than millions of guys out there...and sorry to tell you, but he is better than Van Halen...not to brag, but I warm up with Van Halen's stuff, dont get me wrong, I know he is better than me...Yngwie is a legend, he is self taught, and his solos are highly technical...he still is one of the most brilliant figures on the current metal scene, and also he is a great songwriter...cocky personality, I know, but I dont have anything against his music...

09.06.2006 - 05:09
Icewings
La Luna
Lol probably , nowdays people do everything for publicity ...and well I have met people with that big EGO and it sucks , I mean all the good things they have the ego erase them ....and I don't know I don't like arrogance ....
----

09.06.2006 - 23:32
fire101
Account deleted
I think he has an enormous ego, but its inconsequential to the fact that his music (IMO) is awesome and kicks ass.
10.06.2006 - 06:59
Nathan Lurker

He's a good player. But seriously dudes...his songs feels more like a technical practice than a conventional music album. It's just showing off. He once said that Dream Theater put too much technicity in each instruments wich makes the music sounds too full of technicity. Saying something like that when HE himself do cold music... I listened to Rising Force (or something like that... don't remember....don't care) and it's so boring. No feeling. So dull.

He is judging music by technicity... that's such a bad way to judge music.
----

I came up from below when the she-wolf howled
and the night gave birth to her only child !Black Thunder!
I never knew no mercy I never knew no shame
I am hell in the storm clouds, the devil calls my name !Black Thunder!
12.06.2006 - 06:40
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
He has every right to have a huge ego,I mean the guy is fucking good.....
12.06.2006 - 23:38
Dam3k

The dvd I saw of him playing with an asian orchestra says all about his ego, he thinks he can play classic music or something XDD that orchestra pwned his sound... electric guitars hasn't place with a orchestra... that was lame and there's where u can see how really he is...
----

13.06.2006 - 03:48
Aresius
Account deleted

@MaidenVarius: thats exactly what I didnt want to see here

@Dam3k

Well...I dont agree with you..."Concerto For Electric Guitar And Orchestra in E Flat Minor" is a great album (and DVD)...Yngwie is the original pioneer of the neoclassical genre...He is a great musician...many have tried to blend rock guitar with classical music, most fail miserably (Metallica)...Yngwie's Concerto was recorded long before Metallica's lame attempt, the difference here is that Metallica just had Michael Kamen add Muzak to some of their "hits", lol...but on the other hand, Yngwie composed the entire Concerto (every single note for every instrument) which makes it even more impressive...he combines techniques derived from classical "virtuosos" with classical structuring derived from classical compositional masters, and metal texturing and tones as well...or at least thats the way I see it...its Ok if you dont like his personality, but dont mess with his music...I mean, he invented a whole new genre...isnt that enough?...Im glad for him, cause finally he fulfills his life-long dream (to play with a full classical orchestra)...this isnt just another Malmsteen album...its more like a violin concerto, except the violinist is replaced with Yngwie on the electric guitar...so, don't expect any thundering power chords on this one...anyways, its such a masterpiece...this is definitely a defining moment not only in his career, but in the history of guitar music itself...mind blowing!!!

Some clips...just to see what Im talking about

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9cVIOuvDUGE Far Beyond the Sun

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EDhKv4ZVi5k Prelude to April

and please guys, we are talking about Yngwie's ego, not Kat's

17.06.2006 - 19:19
MigraineBoy

Let the fat guy with his rolex, he still can play (even if is tha same stuff over and over again).
About Steve Vai...I have right here with me a DVD were they play 3 songs togheter...with Satriani...and Vai doesn't look afraid.

About Malmsteen and great kat egos...is just the way that obsessively technicians like it, that "I can play it faster" competition...even if they play awfull or just rape master classics works. Call Django Reinhardt to show them how a guitarist should be! skillful and ORIGINAL!!!!
----
Is only wrong if you don't get it!
17.06.2006 - 20:14
Soliloquy

true, he is ego maniac. who really cares though?
as migraine boy said above, vai isnt afraid of yngwie. perhaps yngwie is afraid of everyone else. hes like a bully that doesnt want anyone being better than him, so what does he do? he starts putting the world down, so he can maintain his status, while everyone else is crying becuase they 'suck' in yngwies eyes.

besides, he was brought up that way as well. i mean, his ma named him 'young viking chief'. if she named him Apollo(god of music/poetry etc...) then he would actually think that.

and just to be even better, or talked about, he made his own guitar with fender. and not taht many guitarists have their own guitar line.

but yeah, in the end, who really cares? just focus on the music, not what he looks like, or acts like. i mean, music and personality are two completly different things
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
22.06.2006 - 01:24
marinBG

When Yngwie was in his best years, his ego was almost logical... and he probably wouldn't be so succesful without it...

but nowdays it's both disturbing and plain funny... I remmember frends coming from his show in Bulgaria years ago very very pissed off at the way he was... they didn't really like niethier the show, nor his attitude towards the audience... may be he really is an asswhole...
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
22.06.2006 - 16:29
SteTech

A friend of mine showed me this video on youtube which takes the piss out of Yngwie, pretty funny. Sorry if you all know about this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tuLEmWccM&search=yngwie_malmsteen
25.06.2006 - 18:09
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I'll have to admit, the guy is very egotistical. Just check out this video. Look at the motions he makes. He definitely appears to be very full of himself. The guy thinks he's fucking Beethoven!
27.06.2006 - 04:28
Nathan Lurker

Shit man! I couldn't even watch the whole thing I got Soooo bored. That's such "standard" music without any high points other than the fact he knows how to play. After so many years of showing your guitar skill mister Malmsteen, couldn't you like, start a real band that is not just a demo of guitar playing ? He should learn from Winds. That's one band that has neoclassical elements that actually succeeds in being meaningfull and deep.
----

27.06.2006 - 13:24
Hyvaarin

MournfulWoods- I understand where you're coming from, but you should check out Yngwie's playing in the video below. It's class, and incorporates all the orchestral stuff awesomely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn6-XqmkKUA&mode=related&search=Yngwie%20Malmsteen
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
27.06.2006 - 19:07
Nathan Lurker

Mm yeah that last video was better. It had some good moments. But I still feel like the music is empty. I enjoyed the orchestral part more than his guitarwork.
----

27.06.2006 - 20:53
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
I accept the yngwie's technique is great, and his ego is the product of his work, but i think kat is one of the greatest guitarist of this century. The technique of kat is one of the fastest that i ever seen, and i love the malmsteen music, but his speed is not related to his ego that is bigger. About Vai: he's good, but not the best, the people think that if you see a guy playing bendings and harmonics in a very standard way he's good, vai for me is very commercial, i prefer joe stump or chris impelittreri instead vai.

PS Vai is a commercial asshole, i think that, many of you think different and doesn't matter where i come from, the music is an international language but at the same time is a feeling...and everybody take it different take care Hyvaarin
01.07.2006 - 06:49
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
But about yngwie's ego, the people consider him the second fastes fretboard shreder of all time...
01.07.2006 - 17:15
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
man his ego...i cant find any comparable one perhaps im not thinking much but when he came here h acted like an arse.... i still remember thou the concert was awesome his attitude towards the crowd isnt the best
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
03.07.2006 - 09:04
Cryogenic_Death

Written by Vinnie R. on 01.07.2006 at 06:49
the people consider him the second fastes fretboard shreder of all time...

and the first one is?
----
||SPACE FOR RENT||
03.07.2006 - 21:55
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Michaelangelo batio, but as aresyus says "we are talking about yngwie's esgo!"
07.07.2006 - 01:11
Aresius
Account deleted

Wrathchild...thanks a lot...Kat's reign of terror is over...ok, so lets go back to Yngwie's ego...I know he is an asshole...but he can be a nice guy too...he did some charity this year, I dont know...some auction of a Marshall amplifier autographed by him (in gold) hmm...proceeds from the sale of the amp were going to MusiCares, its like a foundation that is assisting musicians victimized by last year's hurricanes, I think...anyways, what about the donut incident?...well, here's the clip...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5374503581463563965&q=Yngwie+Getting+Pwned

thats funny