Metal Storm logo
Best Extreme Power metal band from Finland

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 01.11.2007 - 18:10
wich band do you prefer , this bands have a lot of similar stuff all started by the great Children of Bodom
but what its your favorite and why

Children Of Bodom gets my vote because they started this extreme power style and the riffs and the solos are very original plus the awesome keyboard technique

Poll

wich band do you think is the best

Children Of Bodom
Wintersun
Ensiferum
Kalmah
Eternal Tears Of Sorrow
Moonsorrow
Norther
Mors Principium Est
Skyfire

Total votes: 262
26.04.2012 - 19:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 26.04.2012 at 19:36

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.04.2012 at 19:33

i don't know what bands you are referring to. But Chicken of Boredom are certainly power metal.

It totally is, and not that difficult to see either. Replace the vocals on say CoB's 'Follow the Reaper' with typically clean power metal vox and you'd have a full on power metal album. They certainly don't sound like any melodeath band I've ever heard.

Mr. ego Laiho even dared call CoB black metal about ten years ago
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.04.2012 - 19:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.04.2012 at 19:40

Mr. ego Laiho even dared call CoB black metal about ten years ago

Aside from some black-ish vocals anyone who thinks they're black metal is smoking some serious stuff.
26.04.2012 - 19:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 26.04.2012 at 19:42

Aside from some black-ish vocals anyone who thinks they're black metal is smoking some serious stuff.

with the kind of mental capacity and ego Laiho has I don't think he even needs to smoke in order to believe he plays black metal
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.04.2012 - 21:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Milena on 26.04.2012 at 18:29
I find it funny that we call it extreme power metal, since it's neither extreme nor power metal but what can you do.

If we're talking about CoB then they are most definitely a power metal band. I don't even like the "extreme" adjective but it's our way of separating them from traditional power or even Euro flower metal. The only thing different about CoB is the use of harsh vocals. Aside from that, they're purely power metal.

It's a similar situation with Septicflesh. We can't just call them symphonic metal because of bands like Therion, but we can't call them death metal because of... any death metal band. But they mix growls with symphonic metal so it makes them more "extreme".
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.04.2012 - 22:00
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.04.2012 at 21:39

The only thing different about CoB is the use of harsh vocals. Aside from that, they're purely power metal.

I guess it's just a matter of what you file under "power metal". For example, I could totally call Eternal Tears Of Sorrow or Euphoreon or Wintersun power metal. CoB is kinda dancing on the edge there... if I imagine Timo Kotipelto singing instead of Laiho, I still have a hard time fitting that under the power metal umbrella. But then again, I don't remember the last time I played one of their old albums in full (since I assume we're talking about them), so it could be you're all right.
----
7.0 means the album is good
26.04.2012 - 22:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Milena on 26.04.2012 at 22:00
But then again, I don't remember the last time I played one of their old albums in full (since I assume we're talking about them), so it could be you're all right.

I don't remember much of their material myself, but I'm positive they don't belong under the melodic death metal tag, let alone black metal. The same goes for the other bands you mentioned... I personally don't see a problem with filing any of them under extreme power (especially EToS) but I understand it's easier for people to just label them all melo-death. If we are calling such bands melodic death metal, there should at least be some other tag throw in since they have little or nothing to do with the likes of At the Gates or Carcass or Insomnium or Be'lakor (figured I'd throw in old bands with some newer ones).
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.04.2012 - 22:50
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.04.2012 at 22:08

...I understand it's easier for people to just label them all melo-death. If we are calling such bands melodic death metal, there should at least be some other tag throw in since they have little or nothing to do with the likes of At the Gates or Carcass or Insomnium or Be'lakor (figured I'd throw in old bands with some newer ones).

I just throw it under the melodeath "umbrella" because people will know what I mean. All types of metal under that "melodeath umbrella" have moved preeetty far away from death, but I think that's a big part of what characterizes them nowadays. Most modern Gothenburg bands you'll come across nowadays are so melodic and simple, the harsh vocals don't even fit right in them anymore - which is a shame, because I went for the genre when I wanted an easy fix of harsh and speedy stuff with my melodies. But I guess that's the way this genre evolved and that happens to a lot of genres - you have bands in prog metal that sound nothing like Dream Theater and Fates Warning. Calling it meloDEATH may seem wrong, especially with bands like Bodom, which have nothing to do with, let's say, Carcass. But if I said "extreme power", everyone would say "what the fuck is that".
----
26.04.2012 - 23:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Milena on 26.04.2012 at 22:50

Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.04.2012 at 22:08

...I understand it's easier for people to just label them all melo-death. If we are calling such bands melodic death metal, there should at least be some other tag throw in since they have little or nothing to do with the likes of At the Gates or Carcass or Insomnium or Be'lakor (figured I'd throw in old bands with some newer ones).

I just throw it under the melodeath "umbrella" because people will know what I mean. All types of metal under that "melodeath umbrella" have moved preeetty far away from death, but I think that's a big part of what characterizes them nowadays. Most modern Gothenburg bands you'll come across nowadays are so melodic and simple, the harsh vocals don't even fit right in them anymore - which is a shame, because I went for the genre when I wanted an easy fix of harsh and speedy stuff with my melodies. But I guess that's the way this genre evolved and that happens to a lot of genres - you have bands in prog metal that sound nothing like Dream Theater and Fates Warning. Calling it meloDEATH may seem wrong, especially with bands like Bodom, which have nothing to do with, let's say, Carcass. But if I said "extreme power", everyone would say "what the fuck is that".

But CoB's music is 100% power metal. So it is totally wqrong calling them melodeath.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.04.2012 - 23:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.04.2012 at 23:13
But CoB's music is 100% power metal. So it is totally wqrong calling them melodeath.

Agreed. I think it's an unfortunate situation that the average metalhead is okay with CoB being labeled melo-death as opposed to power.
----
26.04.2012 - 23:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.04.2012 at 23:17

Agreed. I think it's an unfortunate situation that the average metalhead is okay with CoB being labeled melo-death as opposed to power.

Those are clearly DEAF metalheads.The reason why they label it as such is because their swearing blond God Laiho tells them they play melodeath and not power metal because according to him power metal is for fucking pussies. Mmmm, so it totally fits them since Laiho is a huge fucking pussy.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.04.2012 - 23:43
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
I don't really give a fuck, I rarely talk about music (or anything) IRL any more and the person that thinks CoB are the epitome/progenitors of melodeath is not the type of person I could discuss music with a lot anyway. You can't exactly lecture each and every one of them about how the genre tag is off, so the next best thing is shrugging your shoulders and minding your business.
----
26.04.2012 - 23:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Milena on 26.04.2012 at 23:43

You can't exactly lecture each and every one of them about how the genre tag is off.

Oh yes you can, believe me I have been doing it for 33 years now and am still going strong at it
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.04.2012 - 00:09
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.04.2012 at 23:55

Oh yes you can, believe me I have been doing it for 33 years now and am still going strong at it

Fruitless mission, but if it makes you happy, carry on
----
27.04.2012 - 00:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Milena on 27.04.2012 at 00:09

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.04.2012 at 23:55

Fruitless mission, but if it makes you happy, carry on

problem is if you don't do it people will go all revisionist on genres and such. I see it here at MS all the time. Even if only two out of 4 people will listen the mission will sow its seeds.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.04.2012 - 00:35
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.04.2012 at 00:25

problem is if you don't do it people will go all revisionist on genres and such.

Call me insane, but I don't see what's the problem in that... genres (in art) are whatever people think they are and that changes all the time. Most writers throughout the history of literature would laugh if we told them we put them into neat little genre boxes - unless they were the ones that wrote manifestos themselves. Same with metal and music really. Hell, if you asked the original goth kids whether they called their music goth back then, they'd tell you they weren't, and most of the musicians that pioneered the genre hate that label. The name came afterwards. People revise their opinions all the time.

But we're drifting away from the topic at hand.
----
28.04.2012 - 15:01
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Hold up, Moonsorrow is Extreme Power? Not folk? They don't sound remotely similar to any of the other bands up there..well the one's I've heard at least.
29.04.2012 - 03:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Surprised no one in this thread mention Imperanon.
29.04.2012 - 05:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by R'Vannith on 28.04.2012 at 15:01
Hold up, Moonsorrow is Extreme Power?

Nope. Not really sure why they're on this list at all to be honest. :/
----
29.04.2012 - 12:21
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.04.2012 at 05:28

Written by R'Vannith on 28.04.2012 at 15:01
Hold up, Moonsorrow is Extreme Power?

Nope. Not really sure why they're on this list at all to be honest. :/

I can't have been the first to notice that surely? The closest one to Moonsorrow would be Ensiferum if only for the folk element. There's definitely no Power metal about them.

Regardless I usually dislike bands which label themselves as 'extreme power' by default. Bands like Wintersun and Children of Bodom are mostly bland Power metal with a few added touches to give them some 'extremity', whatever that means. They really aren't extreme, at least in the way I would use the term.
29.04.2012 - 19:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Milena on 27.04.2012 at 00:35
Call me insane, but I don't see what's the problem in that...

You are insane

...I'm not trolling, I really think that genre revisionists are one of the most annoying and clueless fucks around just behind fake-elitists. Pretty much altering music history to make a band bigger than it really was among other stupid shit fueled by fanboyism. Revising opinions is one thing... Revising full definitions of music theory and changing the status of a band is something completely different and simply wrong.

Shrugging my shoulders certainly won't make them dissapear from my area. Teaching them will. I'm not consciously hunting people like that, but if they are talking shit right next to me I'll give my two cents. If you don't see the problem with those people it's because you haven't really met a person like the ones I'm describing. Because there's a difference between a person not really knowing any better and being full revisionist.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.04.2012 - 19:17
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Why the fuck fight got over on COB? it was one hell of a great amusing short movie.
18.05.2012 - 00:34
Mr. Blonde
Why not label the entire sub-genre as Bodomic (wish I could take credit for that, it's a word I picked up, having seen at another forum). But if "Bodomic Metal" catches on, it should fuel Laiho's ego enough that at least he would stop trying to place his music into other genres that it doesn't quite fit into.

And every band on that list through Skyfire has sort of aped COB so they would be Bodomic Metal too. Although to be fair, Kalmah and others have branched out from that style considerably. Of course, from Ensiferum on down, those Folk Metal bands are really nothing like Bodom. Moonsorrow is difficult to catagorize though but they are much closer to folk than extreme power. And Mors is melodeath, really the only actual melodeath band on that list.

BTW, I voted for Wintersun, they do incorporate elements of power along with plenty of other things and it's a blend that works very well. Jari is a genius and his amalgamation of different styles is more polished and forward thinking than what COB has started.
21.05.2012 - 18:36
Dàibh
'Twas a Ensiferum / Kalmah tie for me.

Voted Kalmah.

I used to be rather fond of Children of Bodom but I'm afraid I've not got over that one album of theirs...I forget the name. The mental repression is great and sub-consciously over-powering.
06.09.2012 - 06:44
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Wintersun is a great band, I voted for them.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
06.09.2012 - 07:16
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Voted for Wintersun because they seem to be the band that has stuck with the most on that list.

Written by Guest on 29.04.2012 at 03:11

Surprised no one in this thread mention Imperanon.

Their album was decent and they deserve that spot Moonsorrow has up there on the voting list for sure. However, since the band didn't really go that far and never received widespread popularity, I doubt they would place very high on this poll.
06.09.2012 - 08:07
Guib
Thrash Talker
Kalmah my friend Kalmah... makes me shiver
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
04.10.2012 - 01:23
I wouldn't consider any of those bands as 'extreme power metal'... Wintersun gets closest in my opinion and there also went my vote.
01.06.2017 - 14:20
EthicaOdini85
Man are you imbecil ? what the fuck is doing moonsorrow in a poll regarding extreme power metal band ?