Metal Storm logo
Pioneers Of Power Metal

01.11.2007 - 19:59
Lord TJ

Im doing a senior project on metal, can somebody help me out and tell me who the pioneers of power metal are? Thanks!
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
01.11.2007 - 20:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Lord TJ on 01.11.2007 at 19:59

Im doing a senior project on metal, can somebody help me out and tell me who the pioneers of power metal are? Thanks!

No doubt its Helloween, but you shood try alos Avangger, A.K.A Rage and moust all 80ties heavy metal bands, but basicly its Helloween
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.11.2007 - 20:05
Lord TJ

I can't do all 80's ones though, just a few bands that had a made a great push in the power metal world.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

01.11.2007 - 21:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Lord TJ on 01.11.2007 at 20:05

I can't do all 80's ones though, just a few bands that had a made a great push in the power metal world.

80ties I agree but a lot of bands in 80ties was speed metal
----

apos;'
[image]
01.11.2007 - 21:45
Lord TJ

Indeed but thats doesn't have anything to do with the pioneers of power metal.
----

02.11.2007 - 00:01
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Helloween's 2nd album and onwards is considered to be what spawned power metal, isn't it I think Iron Maiden paved the way for it musically and Manowar paved the way lyrically (when you consider the bands ov today). So that was like a "first wave ov power metal" and from observation I believe that Stratovarius were the ones to really push the modern Power Metal sound as we know it today.
02.11.2007 - 00:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 02.11.2007 at 00:01

Helloween's 2nd album and onwards is considered to be what spawned power metal, isn't it I think Iron Maiden paved the way for it musically and Manowar paved the way lyrically (when you consider the bands ov today). So that was like a "first wave ov power metal" and from observation I believe that Stratovarius were the ones to really push the modern Power Metal sound as we know it today.

damn man IM was NWOBHM and then HM not power if Richard saw that post
I agree about Strato but man how much of us know how sounds firts 3 albums? it was more 80ties power and 80tie spower are lil like heavy metal and its nothing do whit modern power like Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Freedom call and so on
----

apos;'
[image]
02.11.2007 - 00:27
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 02.11.2007 at 00:09

damn man IM was NWOBHM and then HM not power if Richard saw that post
I agree about Strato but man how much of us know how sounds firts 3 albums? it was more 80ties power and 80tie spower are lil like heavy metal and its nothing do whit modern power like Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Freedom call and so on

What the hell? why would Richard have a fit if he saw my post I said that Power Metal took ideas from both Iron Maiden and Manowar, that's not wrong........and in essence what is the difference between NWOBHM and Heavy Metal anyway? Only nationality, If Accept were not German then they could've been NWOBHM for example. Also, I think that this topic is VERY MUCH to do with modern Power Metal (like who they were inspired by).
02.11.2007 - 00:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Accept si not NWOGHM, go listnen firts IM , Saxon, Raven etc and you wuill understand and also Accept is not power its heavy and in Germany are no NWOBHM bands and insipration of IM yes
----

apos;'
[image]
02.11.2007 - 01:21
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Its not really easy to say who the pioneers were, Metal is one huge genre of hybrids. Yes its safe to say Helloween and Stratovarius were definatly two of the influential early Power Metal bands, each branching off into different directions though. Modern Power Metal pretty much evovled from these influentual bands, and sub genres formed when some of them decided to take that extra step and create something new. Its impossible to say though who started what when music is pretty much inspired from one generation to the next, each adding their own spin on the word 'music' and creating different sounds, and making new genres.
02.11.2007 - 06:18
Judas
The Amputator
Well, I'd say that the the whole NWOBHM scene definitely did influence Power Metal a lot; many songs by Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Saxon et al. could easily come under a modern definition of Power Metal, as could a lot of stuff by Dio. On the American side, Manowar, Jag Panzer, Metal Church, Savatage and similar bands all had their own influences on the style, leading to bands like Grave Digger, Rage and Running Wild putting out stuff that wasn't quite Power Metal but not quite Heavy Metal or Thrash either. These bands didn't use the appellation 'Power Metal'; instead, they were categorised as 'Speed Metal' bands. Helloween were the first band to actually call themselves 'Power Metal', and I think the first song that is instantly recognisable as an out-and-out Power Metal song would have to be 'Guardians' off their album 'Walls of Jericho' (released in 1985). The general consensus is that the first truly Power Metal album was 'Keeper of the Seven Keys, Part I' by Helloween, released in 1987, and after that, other bands started following that same style.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
02.11.2007 - 06:35
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
One band you guys have not mentioned is Queensryche. People know them for their part in the first wave of Progressive Metal, but they also had a huge American Power Metal sound. Go and listen to their first EP, and first two albums.
----
(space for rent)
02.11.2007 - 06:43
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
some people cite Rainbow as a huge influence on power metal. now, mind you, i am far from being an expert on this side of metal so I am merely mentioning what many people seem to think. it does make sense though.
02.11.2007 - 08:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Definitely bands such as as Rainbow, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest from the really early bands and then Helloween.

Dane mentioned Queensryche but their early albums didn't really inspire other power metal bands for Queensryche themselves were heavily influenced by Iron Maiden (just listen to the ep and debut)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.11.2007 - 10:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by jupitreas on 02.11.2007 at 06:43

some people cite Rainbow as a huge influence on power metal. now, mind you, i am far from being an expert on this side of metal so I am merely mentioning what many people seem to think. it does make sense though.

Rainbow whit Dio in which part there are power maybe when dio left(Dont like that rainbow) but in Dio era cant hera it
----

apos;'
[image]
02.11.2007 - 10:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Bad English on 02.11.2007 at 10:27

Rainbow whit Dio in which part there are power maybe when dio left(Dont like that rainbow) but in Dio era cant hera it

Especially the albums with Dio are very power metallish. Just listen to the sort of music playing and lyrical content as well. Now that surely is proto-power IMO especially on Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.11.2007 - 22:01
juanopereira

completely agree
06.11.2007 - 23:35
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 02.11.2007 at 10:27

no, Rainbow with Dio are not Power Metal but they still inspired many Power Metal bands. Dio is an important figure towards power metal too I think.

and btw, thank juan_ignacio
24.12.2007 - 20:00
Ascalon

The firist bands playing power metal .. maybe comes from US ... in the 80's ... then you have bands in Europe like Helloween ... so the pioneers in this gnere comes form speed and heavy metal ... I don't know Metal Church .. maybe Maiden ... Idon't know .. lsiten to Manilla Road
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
24.12.2007 - 20:17
VPeter

wasn't Acept the ones who inspired all the starting power metal bands such as Helloween and Blind Guardian?
25.12.2007 - 01:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by VPeter on 24.12.2007 at 20:17

wasn't Acept the ones who inspired all the starting power metal bands such as Helloween and Blind Guardian?

Accept always has played heavy metal!!! dont mix heavy or power
Nowdays ppl dont feel any difgeremnc saying that Iron Maiden are power seems same ilness be whit Accept
----

apos;'
[image]
25.12.2007 - 01:57
VPeter

Acept has some power metal touches to it and with Inspired I don't mean that Acept are power metal, Mercyfull fate had a big impact on black metal alltough they just played heavy metal but with a darker touch.
25.12.2007 - 03:09
220volt
Account deleted
I think some of you are confusing progressive metal with power metal.
Queensryche, Dream Theater, selective Blind Guardian, selective Rainbow are all types of prog metal (which is not too far from Power Metal).
I do think that power metal had its first roots with HWOBHM and then Metallica took it to a new power level (hence the name power metal).
That in turn spawned more power metal bands like Megadeth, Slayer, Mashine Head which are also labeled trash and speed. Then even more bands like Helloween, Stratovarius and others took it to a whole new level. Reason why you associate Power Metal with Helloween right now is probably because that is the latest plateau hit in progression of Power Metal.
If you go back in time pre-heloween era, Metallica or Slayer would be called Power Metal probably.
It is more then likely that one band will be categorized in multiple sub-categories. For example: Blind Guardian could be called power or prog or sometimes even speed. Thats just natural way metal works, so it will be hard to determine which band started it all, but if you had to name one movment and one band I would say Motorhead and NWOBHM. No one played with that much power at the time (not even punk generation).
My $0.02
25.12.2007 - 06:04
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 25.12.2007 at 01:29

Written by VPeter on 24.12.2007 at 20:17

Accept always has played heavy metal!!! dont mix heavy or power
Nowdays ppl dont feel any difgeremnc saying that Iron Maiden are power seems same ilness be whit Accept

He never called Accept power metal, he asked if they were the ones who paved the way for certain old power metal bands.
25.12.2007 - 10:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by VPeter on 25.12.2007 at 01:57

Acept has some power metal touches to it and with Inspired I don't mean that Acept are power metal, Mercyfull fate had a big impact on black metal alltough they just played heavy metal but with a darker touch.

Where thay are power metal touches in what album?, what song?
----

apos;'
[image]
25.12.2007 - 12:22
Charly546

There are basically 2 types of power metal: US 80's power metal (Jag Panzer, Helstar, Metal Church) and European power metal (basically anything that is based on Helloweens Keeper albums).

Both are firmly rooted in NWOBHM, but I think US power metal has taken more influence from thrash while European has taken from speed/heavy metal.

Also there may be influence from Rainbow's fantasy-based lyrics and Blackmore's guitar-playing.

Just my thoughts, correct if wrong.
25.12.2007 - 13:13
Valentin B
Iconoclast
the root of all this seems to me that is Led Zeppelin's song, "Immigrant Song", i call it the prophet of power metal

then came Rainbow(listen to the song Kill the King) and of course Priest(i'm surprised no-one mentioned them) with songs like Exciter and Tyrant, and then Maiden and the story we all know after that.
25.12.2007 - 13:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Charly546 on 25.12.2007 at 12:22

There are basically 2 types of power metal: US 80's power metal (Jag Panzer, Helstar, Metal Church) and European power metal (basically anything that is based on Helloweens Keeper albums).

No also clone bands and moern power sound who are cheesy and who are popular in nowdays
I like 80tie spower, but I cant stand modern, cheesy sound of power metal
----

apos;'
[image]
25.12.2007 - 18:33
VPeter

Written by Bad English on 25.12.2007 at 10:03

early albums, but they are minimal
25.12.2007 - 18:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by VPeter on 25.12.2007 at 18:33

Written by Bad English on 25.12.2007 at 10:03

early albums, but they are minimal

But in that case have you hear more that time German HM albums all sound slil like Accept and I have first 2 so i know, but power there are werry minimum that we 100% can call it HM
----

apos;'
[image]