03. Amok
04. Thy Kingdom Koma
05. When In Sodom
06. In The Blood
07. Ministry
08. The Dead, The Dying and The Dying To Be Dead
09. Warfare, Plague, Famine, Death
10. Love Song For Lucifer

Entombed is a band who have gone through a lot of line-up changes between their previous album, Inferno and this release. First bassist Jorgen Sandstrom quit the band to concentrate on The Project Hate, followed by the departure of founding member and second guitarist Uffe Cederlund and finally drummer Peter Stjärnvind decided call it a day just as Entombed were heading into the studio.

With all these changes I didn't know quite what to expect from this album. I was however, pleasantly surprised. Entombed have produced, yet again, another piece of solid death 'n' roll with their classic trademark guitar sound as heavy and raw as anything from their heyday in the early 90's. After a few listens you can't help but think of the Wolverine Blues album and that they are all the better for it. Although I really enjoyed their last couple of releases, this is definitely a "back to roots" album and I'm sure it will please all those who accused them of going down hill with every release since 'To Ride...'.

They've recruited their producer, Nico Elgstrand on full time bass duties and Olle Dahlstedt on drums. They're down to one guitarist but this doesn't appear to have adversely affected them at all. They still sound like a very tight unit and very focused on the sound and atmosphere they're creating. Despite being around for almost 20 years they still sound incredibly new and fresh and haven't developed into a parody of themselves like the majority of bands with eight or nine albums behind them. In fact L-G's vocals are sounding the best they've sounded in years.

Lyrically the album is very tongue in cheek and humorous as always, although even more so and I think this is due to main lyricist Uffe leaving the band. I remember seeing them on the Masters Of Death Tour last year with Grave, Dismember and a few others and I noticed a song on this album entitled 'Masters Of Death'. Upon reading the lyrics to this song I discovered that virtually the entire song is made up of Death/Thrash Metal band names and song titles. I'm presuming this is some sort of Homage to bands they like or something. As with all good bands the words tend to get stuck in your head and you can't help but smile at the chorus to 'In The Blood' which sounds a like a very Metallised R&B pop tune.

Almost every song has a memorable moment in it and there are no fillers, except maybe the slightly weird, but soothing, final track, 'Love Song For Lucifer'. They throw in a few acoustic parts here and there and some effects between some songs and it all flows completely smoothly and not all broken up as with most Death Metal bands when trying something similar. It's very difficult to find a single fault with this album, it's simply Entombed doing what they do best, blasting out the heaviest, grooviest, most attitude filled music ever to come out of Gothenburg. With song titles like 'The Dead, The Dying And The Dying To Be Dead' you can't go wrong.

Overall I give this album a 7.5 out of 10. It's exactly what I'd hoped for but it doesn't exactly push the boundaries or explore any new musical territory, but then again that's not what you want from Entombed.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written by Stuart | 06.10.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Herzebeth
Rating:
Entombed is a classic band, no matter what they release it's almost certain that it will receive good reviews and high ratings, this is only because the band has a very loyal fanbase that are willing to give their left pinky to see the band releasing a new album, everyone who loved "Wolverine blues" kept trusting their band and they never let go, so they'll be jamming the stores just to buy "Serpent Saints" and I'm willing to bet on it...as for the rest of us...

Read more ››
published 22.09.2007 | Comments (15)

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 33 users
03.11.2007 - 22:45
In Ozzy Flames

Gothenburg is wrong!!! Stockholm......
17.05.2009 - 09:27
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
I don't know.. the rate could've been lower. Kind of a mix between their early Death metal works with the death'n'roll path. I guess it is a dissappointment for both sides. All I know is that I didn't enjoy listening to this album as much as any other. The quality is there, and the album is good in it's way, but I can say for sure that this is Entombed's worst effort IMO.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
25.03.2012 - 23:47
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
I think the review is pretty accurate, yet the word "soft" that is used often kinda makes me scratch my head a bit...Does he mean, like, James Taylor soft? The break in "Master of Puppets" soft? Lyrically soft...like going all humanitarian? Good thing I'm familiar with it enough to understand what Mr. Stuart meant, which is; less intense. Personally, I like ALL Entombed.
17.01.2015 - 00:15
Rating: 7
BigBad

I remember buying this the day it came out and feeling fairly disappointed. At the time I was hoping for something on par with Morningstar (in my opinion being the best of their releases this side of the century), after giving it a couple spins I couldn't believe how blatantly dumb it sounded to me despite their signature sound being in check. Fast forward a few months and it settled in a bit more, I was finally able to relax and take it in. The big thing with this one to me is remembering their sense of humor. As a fan for some time now it's odd I forget how purposely ridiculous Entombed often is and, to many, often should be. Tracks like Masters of Death & Dying to be Dead kind of beat you over the head with it, almost schoolyard/jr high like in delivery but hard not to snark along with all the same. It's still odd to me in many ways to consider Entombed "mood music", but at the end of the day that's what I consider this particular album when I just want something in their realm that sounds nasty and don't feel like dissecting every last note/section/etc in my head as I generally do with aggressive metal riffs/songs. Several years later I rate this somewhere in the middle of their discography. It's not a classic work in either their more death metal or death n' roll era but it's not one to sit around unplayed for terribly long stretches either. A little more focus on their riffage would have pushed this one up a bar for me, but all things considered it's fun. I'd rate it a 6.5 for Entombed, 7 as a general metal album.

Hits total: 5214 | This month: 8