Metal Storm logo
Latvian Metalstormers

Original post

Posted by W-Lash, 05.11.2007 - 00:52
Ello there!
As you see, old "Latvian Metalstormers" thread has been closed because of reaching 500 posts.

This one should be the new thread.

Go on, keep spamming!
12.01.2014 - 14:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I hate coins, its anoying 1 lat or 2 lats was OK, santims was shit full pocket whit them, i have not so mnay kroner coins, some yes more paper money, same its finland or italy where I was, I came back whit many coins , in end I gave to friend before he treveled,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.01.2014 - 20:04
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Ragana on 12.01.2014 at 11:17

And yeah, there are some Rimi in Norway, but, as most grocery stores in Norge, they're small and the quality of products is just not the same as in the Baltics.

Do you imply that the quality of Norwegian products is inferior to that of the products sold in the Baltics?
15.01.2014 - 21:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 15.01.2014 at 20:04

And yeah, there are some Rimi in Norway, but, as most grocery stores in Norge, they're small and the quality of products is just not the same as in the Baltics.

Do you imply that the quality of Norwegian products is inferior to that of the products sold in the Baltics?

comparing maxima Lv vs Est in Pärnu it was like shit vs gold man
so I think there are diferences, in Lv small stores all rule scan be violated, in Scandi is standart what must be will ne otherwise you will loose licznse
There are many thinkw aht i better quallity in Scandi and there are tonns of thinks whjat I cant get in the Scandi, like new latvian beer from Malduguns brievery, Labietis, and Valmiermuizas, marienated chicken and many other good thinksm like fruits and vegitables on street markets, and such thinks, its depends, mainly I miss ssome beer and some foods, rest is here
----

apos;'
[image]
15.01.2014 - 22:22
Ragana
Rawrcat

Not the locally produced ones (although getting used to Norwegian dairy products was truly hard), of course, but generally - most things are kept in refrigerators (even bread) and/or is imported, so, yes, I am indeed implying that. Also, Norwegians are very proud of things made in Norway or in Scandinavia, so mostly the production actually came from Norway. But, well, that's my opinion. I lost confidence in my cooking skills whilst living in Norway because products, no matter how similar, just weren't the same that I'm used to. I cannot pretend that I eat bread with butter if in reality it's margarine just named "butter". I know it sounds silly - I was reassured by Norwegians that I'm buying the 'real' butter, but still it didn't taste or look like the 'real' butter here in Latvia. And I got used to going to Sweden just to buy some decent meat because my experience with Norwegian meat was rather bad. And any kind of potatoes that could be bought were simply tasteless. I come from a potato country, I know my potatoes! XD
I did like several Norwegian things, especially the variety of fish meat and products that were cheaper than in Latvia, so I'm definitely missing salmon right now. Overall, although there are similar things, both markets are somewhat different because our cultures differ. Norwegians do not love pastries and bread... or cheese... or dairy products as much as Latvians do. Or that's just what I'm guessing, although it's definitely true about pastries, haha.

I honestly think that me and Germans both shared the same views on Norwegian products and what we can make of it. We're used to calorie-full meals and beer, but Norwegians are active people and dinner for them seems to be just time when to consume some calories, not enjoy the meal or the making of it...
15.01.2014 - 22:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ragana on 15.01.2014 at 22:22

I did like several Norwegian things, especially the variety of fish meat and products that were cheaper than in Latvia, so I'm definitely missing salmon right now. Overall, although there are similar things, both markets are somewhat different because our cultures differ. Norwegians do not love pastries and bread... or cheese... or dairy products as much as Latvians do. Or that's just what I'm guessing, although it's definitely true about pastries, haha.

How about akuavit ?
----

apos;'
[image]
16.01.2014 - 22:47
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Ragana on 15.01.2014 at 22:22

I honestly think that me and Germans both shared the same views on Norwegian products and what we can make of it. We're used to calorie-full meals and beer, but Norwegians are active people and dinner for them seems to be just time when to consume some calories, not enjoy the meal or the making of it...

Maybe it's just that these products are not sold at supermarkets but at special stores or you just need to look elsewhere within a convenience store. When I moved to Italy I was initially disappointed with their bread (actually baltmaize) because it was expensive, had an eerily long shelf life and a reeked of disinfecting alcohol or something similar...
Only later did I discover that their true breads were a lot better than anything sold in the Baltics... with a hard golden crust hiding a white and soft tastiness... but the thing is that the true breads are sold at bakeries or at the bakers' stand in a supermarket... Then I realised that in the Baltics we mostly have processed bakery products for mass consumption. True, they are less bad than their western counterparts but, on the other hand, we have lost a great deal of our artisan baking tradition... along with many other things... in the West they actually may not be buying many of the products from convenience stores... instead they get them from artisans (some may even barter with domestic produce)
Speaking of bakery products, I more or less ignore the bakery section of supermarkets now because I bake my own rye bread (maize) which has a longer shelf life without any preservatives, doesn't attract any mildew, and tastes infinitely better than anything bought from a supermarket... plus it's cheaper... same applies to sweet pastry...

However, I understand your concern about dairy products... Then again, in Italy you had the choice between fresh products and processed ones...
17.01.2014 - 01:55
Ragana
Rawrcat
Where I lived, there were like no real markets - only once a week and even then not much to buy there (some forest berries, fish, eggs) and their grocery stores are rather small compared to those I'm used to in Latvia. They have some bakeries but to me they also seem to be quite empty (of production, not customers). Clearly, they are used to that, but I'm not. Sometimes I felt like some of my coursemates who grew up in the countryside and, when moving to Riga, complained about the food (e.g. milk that tastes like water to them because there's only 0.5-3.5% of fat)...

Since I normally don't eat white bread, I have no clue about the differences, but I do imagine Italian 'white' bread is different. An Italian friend of mine complained about the bread in Norway, haha. It was rather bad indeed, but he was just surprised of how white it is, if I recall correctly. Well, we both did love the polar bread... but I think it actually comes from Sweden... just like kanelbulle which we also loved.
I also bake stuff, of course, but there are some things that are just better bought from a really good bakery that happens to be located just 1 km from my house, because it saves my time and energy, and sometimes disappointment if I screw up. XD Well, I have made bread at home as well - ciabatta and this one kind of Latvian bread that I have no clue what to call (we call it the "sweet-sour-bread" (saldskābmaize)), but it was too much of a fuss, and, well, as I said, I don't eat much bread in general. Except for pastries. XD
18.01.2014 - 14:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ragana on 17.01.2014 at 01:55

Where I lived, there were like no real markets - only once a week and even then not much to buy there (some forest berries, fish, eggs) and their grocery stores are rather small compared to those I'm used to in Latvia. They have some bakeries but to me they also seem to be quite empty (of production, not customers). Clearly, they are used to that, but I'm not. Sometimes I felt like some of my coursemates who grew up in the countryside and, when moving to Riga, complained about the food (e.g. milk that tastes like water to them because there's only 0.5-3.5% of fat)...

Since I normally don't eat white bread, I have no clue about the differences, but I do imagine Italian 'white' bread is different. An Italian friend of mine complained about the bread in Norway, haha. It was rather bad indeed, but he was just surprised of how white it is, if I recall correctly. Well, we both did love the polar bread... but I think it actually comes from Sweden... just like kanelbulle which we also loved.
I also bake stuff, of course, but there are some things that are just better bought from a really good bakery that happens to be located just 1 km from my house, because it saves my time and energy, and sometimes disappointment if I screw up. XD Well, I have made bread at home as well - ciabatta and this one kind of Latvian bread that I have no clue what to call (we call it the "sweet-sour-bread" (saldskābmaize)), but it was too much of a fuss, and, well, as I said, I don't eat much bread in general. Except for pastries. XD

Whole Riga is whit ''immigrants'' from the country side, remainds me Torino LOL
Do you know many Riga folks who are 3th generation or older there? after end of ''Ulmanlaiki'' country side is meanibgless in Lv, today some parts are ok, but not all, so all move sto Riga. only 40% goes back , my ex uni mentor or what it calls, she had like 10th generation in Riga awesome

Italian white bread is diferent taste better, scandi breath is shit, only dry brearh, now I am use to it but I like ''rupjmaize'' damn I miss it
----

apos;'
[image]
21.01.2014 - 22:54
Ragana
Rawrcat
It's called urbanisation and there's nothing to be surprised about. It happens in all developed and developing countries. Obviously, people move to bigger cities because there are better education and job prospects and, honestly, do you expect every kid that grows up in the countryside to ACTUALLY stay there for the rest of his/her life?
22.01.2014 - 00:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ragana on 21.01.2014 at 22:54

It's called urbanisation and there's nothing to be surprised about. It happens in all developed and developing countries. Obviously, people move to bigger cities because there are better education and job prospects and, honestly, do you expect every kid that grows up in the countryside to ACTUALLY stay there for the rest of his/her life?

no but Lv is not SA look at Brazil, Buenos Aires, all from country comes and what living conditions taht have there
In Swe many stay and moves to country from cuty and other way around
----

apos;'
[image]
23.01.2014 - 02:14
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Bad English on 22.01.2014 at 00:26

no but Lv is not SA look at Brazil, Buenos Aires, all from country comes and what living conditions taht have there

Now I'm really starting to wonder if you've actually been in the Latvian countryside... Just so you know, countryside is not some suburban areas or small towns... it's that place where there are cows, horses, lots of work and nature, and not so many people around. You can't build a career or actually get normal incomes by staying in the countryside forever. When you're 40, sure - move away! Many do that. It's just more relaxing when there is no need for city any more.
23.01.2014 - 02:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ragana on 23.01.2014 at 02:14

Written by Bad English on 22.01.2014 at 00:26

Now I'm really starting to wonder if you've actually been in the Latvian countryside... Just so you know, countryside is not some suburban areas or small towns... it's that place where there are cows, horses, lots of work and nature, and not so many people around. You can't build a career or actually get normal incomes by staying in the countryside forever. When you're 40, sure - move away! Many do that. It's just more relaxing when there is no need for city any more.

Yes I lived in small gay town whit 10-8 000 now 6K
so I have been in country but deep country only summer, but not often, when I was school kid I liked be in the nature, now I do , but its hard combine modern day work and living, I hate travel to work
its possible to live ye sbut in Lv center are Riga and always will be.... how hard from my town to get there trains less and less, busses also ... 10 years ago it was almost every H.... from latgale, rezkne, Preili and such places... hard if you really need get in the town
----

apos;'
[image]
23.01.2014 - 20:17
Ernis
狼獾

I have made bread at home as well - ciabatta and this one kind of Latvian bread that I have no clue what to call (we call it the "sweet-sour-bread" (saldskābmaize)), but it was too much of a fuss, and, well, as I said, I don't eat much bread in general. Except for pastries. XD

Google image search for "saldskābmaize" gives me something that looks like "peenleib" ("fine bread")... I just make simple rye bread... rupjmaize, right?

23.01.2014 - 22:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 23.01.2014 at 20:17

I have made bread at home as well - ciabatta and this one kind of Latvian bread that I have no clue what to call (we call it the "sweet-sour-bread" (saldskābmaize)), but it was too much of a fuss, and, well, as I said, I don't eat much bread in general. Except for pastries. XD

Google image search for "saldskābmaize" gives me something that looks like "peenleib" ("fine bread")... I just make simple rye bread... rupjmaize, right?

Rupjmaize

My fav Rupjamaize was made in soviet and early post soviet days when there was small crosses in middle , but I like all generally, I eat it most, Burkamaize and Lacu maize was my fav, but those were expenice , that img you share is saldskab maize
salds - sweet
skabs - bitter

its between bitter and weat tase, I eat it less

Baltmaize - white bread I eat less, only if I need bake toster something

----

apos;'
[image]
23.01.2014 - 23:12
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Bad English on 23.01.2014 at 22:22

that img you share is saldskab maize

No it's not... "sweet and sour" bread is lighter and thicker... it's called "fine bread" in Estonia while the darker one is "rukkileib" which is the rye bread...
24.01.2014 - 04:44
Ragana
Rawrcat
Uhh, K7 clearly has no clue how rye bread looks like after living abroad for so long...

Well, rye bread is rye bread - we surely love it and, of course, it's traditionally THE Baltic bread, but this is different, haha. But yeah, that peenleib of yours does look a lot like our saldskābmaize! I wouldn't wonder if it actually tasted the same... sometimes it truly is wonderful how many things we have in common, haha. No need for long explanations. Often it's the same with Germans and Russians as well (with a German flatmate of mine we could literally end each others sentences when talking about food or some customs).
24.01.2014 - 14:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ragana on 24.01.2014 at 04:44

Uhh, K7 clearly has no clue how rye bread looks like after living abroad for so long...

Well, rye bread is rye bread - we surely love it and, of course, it's traditionally THE Baltic bread, but this is different, haha. But yeah, that peenleib of yours does look a lot like our saldskābmaize! I wouldn't wonder if it actually tasted the same... sometimes it truly is wonderful how many things we have in common, haha. No need for long explanations. Often it's the same with Germans and Russians as well (with a German flatmate of mine we could literally end each others sentences when talking about food or some customs).

I ddnt even talk about Viggo picture, at all, so I just decrive how it tastes
----

apos;'
[image]
24.01.2014 - 23:14
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Ragana on 24.01.2014 at 04:44

The "peenleib" has a sweet taste with sour undertones, it's usually somewhat flat and has an elliptical shape... it has a dark crust but the inner part is light cream coloured... caraway is often used to enhance the sweet taste... I somehow associate this type of bread with school canteens because this bread was always on the table there... this and tea glasses...

The other one is "black/rye bread"... it's darker, often baked in rectangular loaf tins, less sweet... it can sometimes contain seeds and nuts and fruit... I remember a particular bread which was called "borodino" and this was one of the best... I haven't seen this in stores any more...

Speaking about similar tastes in food, it's no wonder because most eastern Europe has similar traditional foods and it goes to the extent that if anyone asked me what Estonian cuisine was about I'd end up describing the generic eastern European food... Germans, Slavic people, Baltic people and others from the same region all eat the same things and cook them the same way... Potato, pork and sauerkraut which goes well with some gewürtztraminer would be the most basic dinner here...

When I lived in China, a Hungarian schoolmate of mine invited us to a "Hungarian dinner" for which they had cooked "real Hungarian food"... well... me and my Russian/Ukrainian friends were so delighted when it turned out we were getting to enjoy some meat with potatoes and sauce the way we all were used to eat in our respective countries...

All in all... these traditions are the same from Berlin to Vladivostok...
24.01.2014 - 23:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Viggo I dunno bread names in english so I know in latvian and Lv souse is miox whit local and long time german bavarian cousine, even our beer is Ger lager, (Estonian historicaölly can be imperlial stout and porter=, german schnizzel and soar cabige is ''traditional'' meal, together ar kebab aka ''schalik'' and alölö are so damn delicuse
----

apos;'
[image]
25.01.2014 - 00:08
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Bad English on 24.01.2014 at 23:19

german schnizzel and soar cabige is ''traditional'' meal, together ar kebab aka ''schalik'' and alölö are so damn delicuse

You mean шашлык? That's shashlyk...

But what's alölö? I tried to google it but without much luck...
25.01.2014 - 00:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 25.01.2014 at 00:08

Written by Bad English on 24.01.2014 at 23:19

german schnizzel and soar cabige is ''traditional'' meal, together ar kebab aka ''schalik'' and alölö are so damn delicuse

You mean шашлык? That's shashlyk...

But what's alölö? I tried to google it but without much luck...

cant rda cyrlic, and alölö I have no clue, because I diodnt ment to spell it
----

apos;'
[image]
25.01.2014 - 00:35
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Bad English on 25.01.2014 at 00:13

What did you want to spell then?
25.01.2014 - 00:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 25.01.2014 at 00:35

Written by Bad English on 25.01.2014 at 00:13

What did you want to spell then?

To be honest only shashlik nothing more that weird spelling was mistace , I didnt wanna say anything
----

apos;'
[image]
27.01.2014 - 04:22
Ragana
Rawrcat
...then why do you keep talking? Good lord, I'm literally laughing right now. My guess you meant "alus"(beer), since we always drink beer with shashlyk (I'm not even slightly exaggerating).

Anyway, potatoes, schnitzel and sauerkraut pretty much sums up what I'd say is traditional Latvian dish. I love it, but it is kinda sad to actually realize that not much of what we usually eat is actually "Latvian".
27.01.2014 - 18:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ragana on 27.01.2014 at 04:22

...then why do you keep talking? Good lord, I'm literally laughing right now. My guess you meant "alus"(beer), since we always drink beer with shashlyk (I'm not even slightly exaggerating).

Anyway, potatoes, schnitzel and sauerkraut pretty much sums up what I'd say is traditional Latvian dish. I love it, but it is kinda sad to actually realize that not much of what we usually eat is actually "Latvian".

maybe , BTW I wish I can try real rauchbier like Aech Schlenkerna Rauchbier what is super good smoked beer whit schalsik
Well its true but snincele , soar kabige and potatos, I would cosnider it as latvian, but beens some xmass food (what we dont eat) because when germans take it here it was like 12 century and all has been adopted
----

apos;'
[image]
01.03.2014 - 18:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Where I lived,

You have own beer

?Raganas Ķēķis" atvērts no pulksten 9 rītā līdz 23 vakarā
savi firmas dzērieni - Raganas rūgtais, Raganas gai?ais alus

translation: Raganas Ķēķis(bars name) open from 9 to 23
Ragans bitter and raganas white
----

apos;'
[image]
01.03.2014 - 21:38
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Bad English on 01.03.2014 at 18:14

You have own beer

I know, I've been there a few times. I'm surprised you didn't know this place... or the fact that it is located in Ragana (village), not far from Sigulda.
01.03.2014 - 21:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ragana on 01.03.2014 at 21:38

Written by Bad English on 01.03.2014 at 18:14

You have own beer

I know, I've been there a few times. I'm surprised you didn't know this place... or the fact that it is located in Ragana (village), not far from Sigulda.

I know that place I have passed by maybe 10 times its same way when you go to Eesti , Tallin-Hellsinki-Tampere-Oulu-Torneo/Happaranda-Luleå
----

apos;'
[image]
01.04.2014 - 02:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Have you ever read (in past tense,dunno how to spell) Russian repporter Vladimir Pozner articles

nand when eesti was EU vote what was results in YES % and NO %
----

apos;'
[image]
05.04.2014 - 03:52
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Bad English on 01.04.2014 at 02:46

Have you ever read (in past tense,dunno how to spell) Russian repporter Vladimir Pozner articles

"Read" IS the past tense of "read". Good lord, even when you're correct, you subconsciously try to screw up... dude, that's a talent.
Btw, is that Vladimir the same guy who just lost some kind of a Lithuanian honor medal?