Metal Storm logo
Sirenia - Part Ways With Vocalist

According to Sirenia's official website:

"Due to musical disagreements singer Monika Pedersen and Sirenia has decided to part ways, here is Monika's statement:

"After much consideration I have chosen to leave Sirenia, but I will continue with music. The reason is, that we have too many musical differences, and I don't feel like it's the right band for me. I have had a great time in the band, lots of good experiences and only wish the best for the band in the future. I want to send a big "Thank You" to all the fans for your support - you haven't heard the last of me!"

As a result of these circumstances Sirenia will have to pull out of the planned European tour with Therion. The show in Athens will be postponed until may 2008. You have our apologies for this, Sirenia will be back on the road next year. We will use the coming months to find a new singer, as well as composing music for our next album."

Read more about the impact of Sirenia pulling out of the Adulruna Rediviva Tour in the News Archive.

Source: mortenveland.com
Band profile: Sirenia
Posted: 05.11.2007 by White Winter Sun

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 30   Visited by: 21 users
05.11.2007 - 21:15
wrathchild
staff
Hum, I don't know the band that much, and actually I'd be glad if they aren't replaced for the tour with Therion (though of course, it may have an economic impact on the tour itself, which is bad). Just so I can fully concentrate on Therion.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
05.11.2007 - 21:18
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
"After much consideration I have chosen to leave Sirenia, but I will continue with music. The reason is, that we have too many musical differences, and I don't feel like it's the right band for me."

Signed.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
05.11.2007 - 21:26
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Another thing that just seemed obvious was happening.... particularly since Morten's band(s) have had so many lineup issues over the years. I certainly won't speculate, but I'm wondering if Sirenia will ever have a female vocalist who can work with Morten...? Anyway, I am looking forward to hearing Monika again, as I think she can work in a different band, perhaps with a lighter melodic feel to go with her voice
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
05.11.2007 - 21:47
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
Already? It's not so a normal thing IMO...
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
05.11.2007 - 21:54
Bas
Retired Staff
elite
a shame really, i thought the last Sirenia album was magnificent.
oh well, i'll just wait and see who the next woman is that morten will draw out of the old hat, i hope she'll be just as good
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
05.11.2007 - 21:57
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Meh, Im not sure if Sirenia will ever top 'At Sixes and Sevens' anymore...
05.11.2007 - 22:26
flamesoficarus
Damn she had a rather nice voice. It will be hard to tour without her because her voice is so prevailant on the new album.
05.11.2007 - 22:42
RavenLord
May I be the first to say...about bloody time.

Now, I'm not entirely sure, given Sirenia's constant vocalist changes, whether the shift from gothic metal to gothic pop was a conscious decision by Mr. Veland before he enlisted the very saccharine, bland vocals of Ms. Pedersen, but both what I saw and heard of 'Nine Destinies...' was very much a departure away from the sound that made 'At Sixes and Sevens', at least, such a good album.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that 'Nine Destinies...', and Monika's vocals on it, were absolutely terrible. By the standards of modern 'gothic metal', they're fairly generic (which is probably half the problem). When you have M. Veland's track record (read: 'BEYOND THE VEIL'), there's really no excuse for throwing out half-assed, Lacuna Coil-esque pop singles, instead of something with real depth and jaw-dropping awesomeness.

Now, will this lead to Morten making a return to the likes of 'Meridian' and 'Lethean River'? Perhaps, perhaps not, but I'll certainly watch their movements with a lot of interest now.
----
05.11.2007 - 22:47
FreakyJP
Account deleted
I never really liked the new singer, so for me, this is not a bad thing.
05.11.2007 - 23:04
selken
Irreligious
Written by Guest on 05.11.2007 at 22:47

I was JUST ABOUT to say that:
I never really liked the new singer, when I read the headline I was glad.
C'mon, sirenia, bring vibeke or the first singer.
----
05.11.2007 - 23:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hmmm hope Nightwish dont read MS news
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.11.2007 - 23:54
LCxDownfall
Account deleted
Damnit, I loved her
06.11.2007 - 00:36
Bararey
Winter is Coming
elite
I am not familiar much with Sirenia, but you cannot leave the band in middle of their obligations! that is very low. Finish what you have (tour/gig) then leave, how hard can that be?! I mean it was not health reasons nor family tragedy that caused this departure rather "musical disagreements" :
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
06.11.2007 - 00:42
Princ_Of_Horror
Written by RavenLord on 05.11.2007 at 22:42

Now, I'm not entirely sure, given Sirenia's constant vocalist changes, whether the shift from gothic metal to gothic pop was a conscious decision by Mr. Veland before he enlisted the very saccharine, bland vocals of Ms. Pedersen, but both what I saw and heard of 'Nine Destinies...' was very much a departure away from the sound that made 'At Sixes and Sevens', at least, such a good album.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that 'Nine Destinies...', and Monika's vocals on it, were absolutely terrible. By the standards of modern 'gothic metal', they're fairly generic (which is probably half the problem). When you have M. Veland's track record (read: 'BEYOND THE VEIL'), there's really no excuse for throwing out half-assed, Lacuna Coil-esque pop singles, instead of something with real depth and jaw-dropping awesomeness.

Now, will this lead to Morten making a return to the likes of 'Meridian' and 'Lethean River'? Perhaps, perhaps not, but I'll certainly watch their movements with a lot of interest now.

I cant agree more with you!
Lets home Morten will return to the old Sirenia!
06.11.2007 - 01:04
Jiri
This band is has gone through three vocalists for three albums. When are they going to hold on to one for more than one album?
06.11.2007 - 01:15
WorpeX
Made of Metal
hmm I'm pretty sure it was only 2 vocalists. Henriette was on 'Sixes' and 'elixir' as well.
06.11.2007 - 01:15
duyhung
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 05.11.2007 at 22:47

Me too. I prefer the vocalist on 'At Sixes And Seven' (don't remember her name )
06.11.2007 - 06:10
TheGrandDevilry
Account deleted
Ah man that sucks
06.11.2007 - 06:34
Damned-In-Black
Wonderful news! She was awful (not in that she couldn't sing... but she didn't suit Sirenia). I hope they can get a good replacement and release something better than the last album... If yes, this made my day Even still, I'm glad.
06.11.2007 - 11:52
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Wow, it isn't more than two days since I saw Sirenia at the Aalborg Metal Festival in Denmark. She was terrible. She maybe sang in two, or three of the songs and the rest of the time she just stood and looked stupid.. Bouncing, waving.. stuff like that, it was rediculous.

The male singer is much better! He should have sang the entire time. In all honesty I don't really care about them, so far they are just a bad Nightwish rip-off.. But as I said, the male vocalist were good.
----
THRASH!!!
06.11.2007 - 14:41
GT
Coffee!!
staff
Written by RavenLord on 05.11.2007 at 22:42

I couldn't have said it better myself
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
06.11.2007 - 16:26
kaos666
The Sirenian curse strikes again. Morten should have never left Tristania.
06.11.2007 - 18:53
Soliloquy
is it me...or this is an EXACT echo of sirenias last vocalist? she left for the exact same reason, and her letter was pretty much the same..
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
06.11.2007 - 20:34
mystic666
Written by kaos666 on 06.11.2007 at 16:26

Morten should have never left Tristania.

Neither should Vibeke.:(
07.11.2007 - 00:17
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Sweet. Never liked Monika particularly.

Want henriette back.

Come to think of it, Sirenia would be just swell with only Morten's growls.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
07.11.2007 - 11:11
Damned-In-Black
Written by AnGina-- on 07.11.2007 at 00:17

Sweet. Never liked Monika particularly.

Want henriette back.

Come to think of it, Sirenia would be just swell with only Morten's growls.

Yes, yes and yes!

Regardless of vocalists though, I will be incredibly disappointed if the next album follows a similar path to the last... There are very few albums I enjoy as much as Sirenia and Tristania's first two each... "Nine Destinies..." really was a monumental fall to mediocrity.
07.11.2007 - 13:13
Deadsoulman
elite
As long as Sirenia doesn't tour with Therion, they can change vocalists as much as they want
07.11.2007 - 14:55
VPeter
doesn't suprise me at all, I hope now for a more fitting singer for this band.
05.12.2007 - 01:33
Aphelion74
Account deleted
Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I noticed one month later ah, and i ve Sirenia at the top spot in my myspace friends list, hilarious. This is great news, if only Vibeke could join Morten.

Mr Veland is simply the best metal composer EVER!
28.12.2007 - 09:56
SolitariuS
Written by WorpeX on 06.11.2007 at 01:15

hmm I'm pretty sure it was only 2 vocalists. Henriette was on 'Sixes' and 'elixir' as well.

Hmmm, no
Actually there have been FOUR vocalist, one per album (on Sirenean Shores Henriette and Emmanuelle sang)

Fabienne Gondamin
Henriette
Emmanuelle Zoldan
Monika

Hits total: 3039 | This month: 11