08. No Regrets
09. Revenge
10. We Want The Truth
11. By My Side
12. Come Alive
13. All These Years
14. Forgive Me Mother
15. Break The Chains

Agnostic Front have been around the block a few times, "Warriors" is album number nine from this band that started in the first half of the eighties. For anyone still unaware of Agnostic Front, they are a hardcore band, or a crossover thrash metal band with a real punch behind their music. It is easy to see how bands such as Hatebreed and the like have been greatly influenced by Agnostic Front, but twenty-five years after forming these guys are back to show everyone else how it is done.

Many people claim bands are either love them or hate them bands, but this cannot be applied better than it is to Agnostic Front. This band will have a devoted core of fans passionate about this kind of smash-mouth music, but also there will be a good percentage of people out there that know this is just not for them. Agnostic Front have just that, a very raw and aggressive front - this is very much metal for heavily tattooed bald people who like to fight as the front cover of the album makes sure you understand before picking it up.

This is hardcore thrash metal and it is good quality hardcore thrash metal as well. "Warriors" explodes right from the beginning with a flurry of double bass drumming with "Addiction", accompanied by typical hardcore style guitar riffs and the shouting, hostile vocals of Roger Miret. If the very style of Agnostic Front does not put off then the almost strange, overly threatening vocals might do the trick - still, a few songs in and everything becomes normal.

In true hardcore style the songs are hardly epic opuses, the longest song on the album is just over three minutes, the average song length is probably around the two minutes area. The lyrics do not touch on any deep, emotional matters, but again this is not the hardcore style - so if you know you like this kind of music, you will like this album. Songs are not complicated or technical, we have bold guitar riffs and drums constantly smashing over them, the music has an easy groove to get into and bang your head to and also tracks like "For My Family" provide the opportunity to shout along to, this of course would be most poignant in the live environment.

"Warriors" totals just over half an hour in length, half an hour of pure, unrelenting hardcore thrash, smashing drums and aggressive shouting. Nothing technical, nothing melodic here at all, but nothing extremely brutal either. "Warriors" is a typical album of its genre, so if this kind of music is for you then I probably did not even need to tell you to go and check it out.

Written on 06.11.2007 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 32 users
07.11.2007 - 01:20
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
Ok, I think I made up my mind: I'm not going to see them . I think the people that will come to the show I wanted to attend will be more annoying that the music itself (I am not a fan of Hardcore Metal).
I heard they had punk influences though, is that true?
07.11.2007 - 03:37
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Well, all hardcore bands have punk influences, dont they? AF are definitely a punk band. They are one of the first New York Hardcore bands to make a name for themselves... They are also one of the worse bands of this style. I highly recommend Sick Of It All or Cro-Mags over them.
07.11.2007 - 15:24
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
Written by jupitreas on 07.11.2007 at 03:37

Well, all hardcore bands have punk influences, dont they? AF are definitely a punk band. They are one of the first New York Hardcore bands to make a name for themselves... They are also one of the worse bands of this style. I highly recommend Sick Of It All or Cro-Mags over them.

Lol yes.. But I don't think I really had to be more specific and ask if they had punk influences MORE than any other band, did I? . You understood what I meant .
I'm not familiar with this band at all. I watched a video on their MyLameSpace page, and that's all, but I thought it could have been fun to attend their concert. I won't go though, now that I know. Plus.. 21 euros.. ahem.. it'd hurt my wallet.
If Sick Of It All are better, then Agnostic Front must be really bad .
I hate Sick Of It All.
07.11.2007 - 15:28
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Guest on 07.11.2007 at 15:24

I hate Sick Of It All.

Well, they are kinda dodgy as far as their albums go, but live they are insane. One of the best shows I've been to.
07.11.2007 - 16:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by jupitreas on 07.11.2007 at 03:37

If you reckon that AF are one of the worse NYHC bands then you haven't heard a lot of NYHC it seems.
Nowadays they have gone back more to their Oi typed earlier punk roots, but there is NO DENYING that 1986's Cause For Alarm is still one the best hardcore punk metal crossover albums EVER and also more or less the very first. They got Peter Steele to write the lyrics for that album btw.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.11.2007 - 18:49
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.11.2007 at 16:57

If you reckon that AF are one of the worse NYHC bands then you haven't heard a lot of NYHC it seems.
Nowadays they have gone back more to their Oi typed earlier punk roots, but there is NO DENYING that 1986's Cause For Alarm is still one the best hardcore punk metal crossover albums EVER and also more or less the very first. They got Peter Steele to write the lyrics for that album btw.

I still dont think they are very good and I have heard my fair share of NYHC... I hate that whole tough guy hardcore aesthetic and Agnostic Front were one of the first bands to cater to that. Dont confuse a researched opinion with ignorance
08.11.2007 - 21:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by jupitreas on 07.11.2007 at 18:49

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.11.2007 at 16:57

I hate that whole tough guy hardcore aesthetic and Agnostic Front were one of the first bands to cater to that.

Ahum , then I recommend you to read, you might have already I am not sure ;-) American Hardcore: A Tribal History, for there you will notice that the whole tough guy hardcore aesthetic was inherent to entire HC scene natinwide (the US of course) even way before Agnostic Front started out. My God even bands such as Minor Threat, Black Flag (already before Rollins) were renowned for their tough guys aesthetics and violence, especially the fans of the early bands were as violent as fuck.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 9058 | This month: 7