04. Agression
05. Style Machine
06. Brulez Les Sorcières
07. Trash
08. Nouvelles Stars
09. Lifting
10. Animal
11. Enfant Du Rock

"Connexion Animale" is the first album of a French combo Salhem. Even if it's a new combo, the band uses plays a kind of old school French Metal which is a bit similar the one of famous French combo of the 80's like Satan Jocker, Vulcain or even Trust. "Connexion Animale" is not a bad album but it suffers of some problem like an average production and a really lacks of originality. Definitely, this is an album for the fans of the genre only.

If Sakhem wanted to sound old school I can tell you that they have found the way to do it. Their Metal is really similar to the ones of all the French Metal bands which were famous back in the 80's. It's a matter of taste actually, I think that a lot of people in France still like this kind of music even if honestly I think that it's a bit out of date now. Still, the music of Salhem is a kind of dark heavy Metal which doesn't lack of anger and good melodies. Sometime we're not so far away of the Thrash Metal sonorities but it can be Hard Rock too, it just depends of the songs. The lyrics, like with Manigance are all in French and like with the band from the south west of France, the topics talk about our society (the first song for example talks about a guy who "lives" on the Internet)? "Connexion Animale" is not bad but for me it's a bit old yes, and not really original. Really you must be a fan of the genre to enjoy it (and of course if you like such Metal, you'll love this release).

Unfortunately in addition of a real lack of originality, the production of "Connexion Animale" is really average. In general the sound is too loud and like with the music it's a bit like if we still were in the 80's. Though, I will stop to be negative, the lyrics are well done and the songs are intelligent in my opinion and it's just a matter of taste in the end. I think that Salhem will be able to produce better albums with time if they find a way to add modernity in their music.

I think that you all already know my verdict. "Connexion Animale" is an album for the fans of 80's French Metal. If you're one of them, don't wait anymore you'll like this album, but on the other hand if you like to listen to the scene of the 21th century, I doubt that you'll enjoy a lot this release. "Connexion Animale" is recommended for the fans only but I can tell you anyway that the band will be able to find some success, after all Manigance is really famous now and they doesn't sound so modern don't you think?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 6

Written by Jeff | 08.11.2007

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 1 user
08.11.2007 - 15:43
Deadsoulman

And one more thing I won't listen to... If there's one genre I can't stand, even less than happy power metal, it's French 80's heavy metal. Manigance included.
09.11.2007 - 02:27
Rupert

Amen brotha! Had I accidentally downloaded it though, it wouldn't get deleted as everything I listen to tends to become bearable.

Hits total: 4320 | This month: 2