Band: Moonsorrow
Album: Tämä Ikuinen Talvi
Release date: 1999

01. Taistelu Pohjolasta
02. Vihreällä Valtaistuimella
03. Talvi
04. Luopion Veri
05. Kuun Suru

This album is a re-done version of their demo, when the band had only two members. It is raw, keyboard-heavy blackmetal akin to Tataros or Limbonic Art. The first song is a masterpiece of chimeral song construction that somehow is fresh and well-thought out at the same time, with riffs smashed into each other in seeming chaos yet working to fit the overall mood. Some parts of the album are a little silly, nothing more than the aforementioned bands. No actual clean vocals except in two riffs and background, and the usual sampling of rain, crunching snow, and medieval battles. Some guitar parts are very much derivative of Emperor and Darkthrone-via-Kvist.

Some people remark that this sounds more black metal-ish than any other Moonsorrow, and while that is true, it really misses the point, as Moonsorrow were never black metal anyway. This is simply faster, more chaotic Moonsorrow, as it still contains most of that authentic keyboard backing, those unique folk passages, and the spirited riffing the band has become known for (and none of the Satanism of a typical BM act). The best song on here is undoubtedly "Vihreällä Valtaistuimella," which starts out more Windir-ish but around the one-minute mark moves into a classic riff that reminds me more of Finntroll than of Moonsorrow, and later around the three-minute mark has a really cool new riff complete with Viking scream, courtesy of Ville Sorvali. Another really good song is "Luopion Veri," also clocking it at around nine minutes, which reminds more than any other on the demo of the later Moonsorrow sound. The production here is raw but not all that bad for a demo, easy to listen to but maybe not for extended periods of time. That's ok though, as that's what Suden Uni is for!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by SnowSword | 05.11.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 43 users
09.11.2007 - 16:04
Rating: 5
Talvi

To me, this album it's better than Suden Uni and Verisakeet. Great demo/album!
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
28.08.2008 - 22:52
Rating: 7
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Talvi on 09.11.2007 at 16:04

Really? This is their only effort I miss...I have to listen to it!
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
29.08.2008 - 14:16
Rating: 5
Talvi

Written by Elio on 28.08.2008 at 22:52

Well, now that I've listened Verisakeet, I like it better. But this demo still would be at the same level as Suden Uni or better.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
29.06.2009 - 16:47
Rating: 7
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Talvi on 29.08.2008 at 14:16

Written by Elio on 28.08.2008 at 22:52

Well, now that I've listened Verisakeet, I like it better. But this demo still would be at the same level as Suden Uni or better.

Fuck yeahrs I finally listened to it (Talvi is the best song ever lol) and even if it's their worst album (I don't consider a 43 mins long release a demo) this is by far better than almost all the Viking Folk shit out there.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
28.09.2009 - 09:27
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Though this is "only demo", it rocks...Luopion Veri is maybe their best song
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

Hits total: 4457 | This month: 12