05. Electric Light
06. Don't Kill Your Idols
07. Head Rolls
08. Visions In Black And White
09. Pink Is For Girls
10. Porcelain Girl
11. Angel And Devil (revisited)
12. Saints

Drop O Rama is the last signature of Yann Armellino (a French guitarist) through is own label Why Note. Why Note is a really good open minded new label which is able to sign "brutal" bands like soft ones (a bit like Drop O Rama) which all always have a lot of quality (don't expect commercial stuffs here; it's the heart who talks first!). "Three At Last" is the first album of Drop O Rama, a band which will be perfect for the people who like classic Rock a bit proggy a la Toto and company.

The music of Drop O Rama is not so bad. The band uses to play a cool poppy Hard Rock with some Progressive phases. It's a bit like Toto on a side, really easy of access but deep too with some interesting complex musical lines. I cannot talk about genuine here but for a first album we have some good songs which simply lacks a bit of personality. The music of Drop O Rama is good but looks a bit like unachieved, something is missing here, we have good ideas and good interpretations all in all it's good Hard FM which is a bit original in reason of its progressive aspect but? I think that the people who like soft Hard Rock (not bluesy things) will maybe like it but like me, I think that they will have the feeling that Drop O Rama still lacks of maturity, a thing which should be quickly fixed soon in my opinion.

My only regret with this release is that that Drop O Rama maybe lacks a bit of ambition. I mean that their songs are pleasant, you already know it but if it's ok to listen to it I have the feeling that our guys was a bit shy on this release and didn't try to take any risks. Some of you will say that I always say that with the new bands and that after all, it's hard to create new things today, they're right, it's not easy to be original nowadays but here believe me I feel something behind this band. I'm sure of it; Drop O Rama is able to surprise us. When and how, I cannot tell you but this band obviously has a big potential?

"Three At Last" is a nice album even if it sounds a bit old and pop sometime. But all in all it's all but not unpleasant to listen to this release. Its only problem actually will come from the fact that you'll not be disappointed by the songs but that you'll easily forget them with time. Has I say before we have good ideas here nonetheless and I think that Drop O Rama will be able to surprise us in the future if they want it. "Three At Last" is not the album of the year but will be able to touch a large audience in reason of its accessibility but let's hope too that the band will be a bit more "offensive" next time.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 12.11.2007

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 1 user
13.11.2007 - 14:26
destroyah
supercharger
it's all but not unpleasant

I wanted to close my browser when I saw the words "emotional rock" on their website but still fired up their myspace. Pretty much agree with your review. Somehow I'm having real trouble with connecting the vocals to the music and vice versa. They still need to do some soulsearching. But as Yoda said: "Potential they have..."
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone

Hits total: 2901 | This month: 4