09. Purgatory
10. Twilight Zone [1998 remaster bonus]
11. Drifter

Disc II [1995 reissue bonus disc]
01. Twilight Zone
02. Women In Uniform [Skyhooks cover]
03. Invasion
04. Phantom Of The Opera [live]

Fantastic successor Killers, you might think of it as Iron Maiden Volume II for the sound developed on the Iron Maiden album has not changed, just improved.

Starting off with the Instrumental Ides Of March you know from the first second you can expect something familiar, because the song is a different version from Samson's 'Thunderburst' (right, Samson was Bruce Dickinson's first band before Maiden). I always wondered why at live performances Ides Of March isn't used as intro for Wrathchild, the second album track, because it's obviously meant as intro for this song. But there is of course more to Killers than one song and an instrumental. In fact this album is as diverse as the predecessor using effects and clean sound in between. The Voice of Paul Di'Anno and the Metal parts come slightly more aggressive than on Iron Maiden. The production is a bit tighter. One will find the bass often highlighting the drums or playing the same fast lines as the guitars. 'Killers' is a killer album same as 'Iron Maiden'. Both are unique in sound and voice of Paul Di'Anno who had left Iron Maiden after this album. Both paved the way for Iron Maiden's further success. 'Killers' contains the two live classics 'Wrathchild' and the title track 'Killers'.

Leaving me with nothing more to say than this: If you liked Iron Maiden you shall not miss Killers! Both still deserve to be heard, both are unavoidable for a complete Iron Maiden collection, both are unique and uncomparable to the later albums.

Written by Pierre Tombale | 16.11.2003

Comments

Comments: 28   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 168 users
14.11.2007 - 18:18
Rating: 9
Stalker
Lone wanderer
I think I like "Iron Maiden" better, but still, this is a great album, which has 2 great instrumentals on it.
----
15.11.2007 - 10:09
Rating: 10
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Agreed. Every song rocks really hard, my favs are Killers, Purgatory & Drifter. Brilliant
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
08.12.2007 - 16:17
Magatouve
Account deleted
What about Genghis Khan... why this instrumental is often overlooked, though I find it to be one of Iron Maiden's best. The drums and bass work is really amazing in this one.
08.12.2007 - 17:05
Deadsoulman

This is simply my favourite album of Iron Maiden. I like DiAnno's vocals better than Dickinson's, and every song here is a masterpiece of catchy songwriting. Only gems. This is worth so much more than a mere 7.5 IMO
09.01.2008 - 06:30
Guib
Thrash Talker
I love Di'Anno (even if i prefer Bruce) and i gotta say that this album is another Treasure by Maiden.

My fav songs are ''Murders in the rue morgue'', ''Wrathchild'' and ''Prodigal Son''. They are just mezmerising.

What about a little 9/10 for that masterpiece
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
09.01.2008 - 10:12
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Guib on 09.01.2008 at 06:30
mezmerising
Have you been deceived by System of a Down? As far as I know, gizmo is the only instance where _zm_ exists in the English language
In fact, the word comes from a physician named Mesmer... sorry to steal your attention, that probably wasn't as interesting for anyone as it was for me

Purgatory has won over as my favourite on the album. 10/10!
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
09.01.2008 - 14:32
Rating: 8
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Oh I cant believe I didnt post here. Well let me tell you that this album is a classic. I prefer the "Iron Maiden" album I admit but this one is quite good. And I also like Di'Anno's vocals.

Murders in the rue morgue... never gona find me!

I like that they inspired themselves in Poe's tales to write their lyrics.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.05.2008 - 00:49
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
so ridiculously low ratings for Iron Maiden and Killers their best albums.
19.05.2008 - 04:53
IronBlackZepp

No Iron Maiden and Killers are not Maidens best, but they are great and the ratings for them are low on reviews. This album is the first with Smith, who is just as great as Murrey. No epics on this album but it is damn soild.
17.07.2008 - 01:24
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Syk on 09.01.2008 at 10:12

Written by Guib on 09.01.2008 at 06:30
mezmerising
Have you been deceived by System of a Down? As far as I know, gizmo is the only instance where _zm_ exists in the English language
In fact, the word comes from a physician named Mesmer... sorry to steal your attention, that probably wasn't as interesting for anyone as it was for me

Purgatory has won over as my favourite on the album. 10/10!

I laughed my ass of at this
20.07.2008 - 18:23
gerrard888
Account deleted
for me iron maiden was better but this album rocks!!!!!!!!!! 8.5/10
20.08.2008 - 17:17
Elio
Red Nightmare
man this album is very good. there are a lot of brilliant songs such Wratchild, Murders and Drifter, not talking about the instrumental yay!
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
28.09.2008 - 22:00
IronBlackZepp

Ya this album deserves so much more then a 7.5. It is one of the bands best, well, Iron Maiden has a lot of great albums, so I guess this one would rank lower on the list, but it is still absolutly great. I really enjoy songs like Killers, and Wrathchild. This and the first album are a little different for Maiden, but they are very unique.
30.09.2008 - 04:16
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
i think di anno's voice works very well for this and the previous album. it wouldnt have sounded right come the release of "Number of The Beast". could you imagine him singing "Children of The Damned"?
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
30.09.2008 - 04:18
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
i think di anno's voice works very well for this and the previous album. it wouldnt have sounded right come the release of "Number of The Beast". could you imagine him singing "Children of The Damned"?
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
30.09.2008 - 04:18
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

19.10.2008 - 12:24
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Nice album.. better than i've though, 10 times better than ''Iron Maiden''
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
19.10.2008 - 13:40
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Uirapuru on 19.10.2008 at 12:24

10 times better? why do you say that?
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
19.10.2008 - 21:00
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Elio on 19.10.2008 at 13:40

ok ok ... maybe 10 times better is an exaggeration, but i really found this album a lot better than the previous. I'm not analyzing the quality of the lyrics, riffs or anything. Despite being kinda similar, i was really excited listen to this album, while the other didn't awake any kind of feeling... its just personal taste, it doesnt mean that its true.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
20.10.2008 - 15:14
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Uirapuru on 19.10.2008 at 21:00

Written by Elio on 19.10.2008 at 13:40

ok ok ... maybe 10 times better is an exaggeration, but i really found this album a lot better than the previous. I'm not analyzing the quality of the lyrics, riffs or anything. Despite being kinda similar, i was really excited listen to this album, while the other didn't awake any kind of feeling... its just personal taste, it doesnt mean that its true.

Ah, I know what you mean but I still prefer the other one
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
28.11.2008 - 11:47
Rating: 9
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
I think Iron Maiden was better, anyway this album is really good like all Maiden's albums 8.5 would be fair
12.05.2010 - 02:15
Winterthrone

A far better production than on Iron Maiden makes it my personnal favorite of Maiden just before Powerslave and Iron Maiden!

Killer, behind you, my bloodlust defies all my needs!
05.11.2010 - 22:01
Nyoink

This album rocks my socks 10/10
27.12.2010 - 04:39
RavenKing

My least favorite Maiden album from the 80s. I like the song "Killers" a lot but other than that most of the songs are forgettable and more or less boring fillers.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
23.07.2011 - 01:38
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 27.12.2010 at 04:39

My least favorite Maiden album from the 80s. I like the song "Killers" a lot but other than that most of the songs are forgettable and more or less boring fillers.

Same for me. But in addition to "Killers", I like the songs "Murders In The Rue Morgue" and "Wrathchild". The others are just not as memorable.
24.03.2014 - 11:02
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Just love the drumming on this album by the late Clive Burr.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
23.07.2015 - 21:14
Rating: 4
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 09.01.2008 at 14:32

Yes a fact but any nowadays band even read books, knows books, this is why IM are uniqe, Bruce read a lot and know many thinks what todays generations don't know ... and he grow up whit out google
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.07.2015 - 21:35
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Bad English on 23.07.2015 at 21:14

Written by BloodTears on 09.01.2008 at 14:32

Yes a fact but any nowadays band even read books, knows books, this is why IM are uniqe, Bruce read a lot and know many thinks what todays generations don't know ... and he grow up whit out google

I remember I first liked Maiden because some song titles were about Poe's tales I was reading I thought that was interesting and it makes them interesting, yes.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram

Hits total: 9657 | This month: 15