Metal Storm logo
Headphones/Earbuds

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 14.11.2007 - 20:23
What kind of headphones/earbuds do you have for your metal? Are they good? Bad? Why?

The other day I got these PHILIPS ear buds. I thought they were going to be pretty good for $15, but they suck! The rubber things don't even stay in my ear! The chords are even the same size! I am going to return them for my money back!
16.07.2019 - 07:11
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I just bought the Sennheiser 4.50 with Noise Cancelling and now I feel I've been listening to music the wrong way all the time. Extremely comfortable too.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
18.08.2019 - 11:41
Big-Al

Over the years I've really liked everything Sennheiser. Their hard waring products all last a long time too.
----

I drink moosepiss
13.06.2021 - 06:33
Chobo_jokeR

I officially went down the hi-fi rabbit hole when it comes to headphones. I've had a handful of Bose and Sennheiser headsets over the years

Bose QC35
Bose Soundsport (wireless and wired)
Sennheiser 598
Sennheiser Momentum
Beats By Dre Studio

In 2020 I decided to dabble in even higher end headphones.

My first pair were the Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Closed. After that I wanted an open headphone to compliment these (Sennheiser 6XX from Drop). Both of these are great headphones, but I was extremely intrigued by the ZMF brand.

I decided to bite the bullet and buy the ZMF Verite Closed after emailing back and forth with the owner. I recently purchased a tube amp as well, since tube amps are very complimentary to ZMF headphones.

I listen to music probably 8+ hours a day. Even when I'm working I have some going on my phone or something like that. In the evenings/working out I'm listening to music whenever I can. The Bose/Sennheiser headphones were always good to me and I have no complaints, but wow... these ZMF Verite Closed are insane. They've brought out details in songs that I thought I knew inside and out.

To anyone who is wondering are high end headphones worth it? In my opinion, yes without a question.

Each headphone has its own strengths and weaknesses, but there is always something out there for everyone. You don't necessarily have to spend a ton of money to have a great hi-fi set-up, but the level of enjoyment you'd get out of it...without question.

For example
Sennheiser 6XX - $220 from Drop (roughly a $600 headphone if you buy the Sennheiser 650 directly from Sennheiser - the 6XX has the exact same innards and made at the same factory)
Schiit Magni3 - $99
Schiit Modi3 - $99

For under $500 you can have an excellent set-up.

If anyone is ever curious about headphones I'd love to chat more! Or to anyone has any other recommendations/thoughts.
16.06.2021 - 17:36
Uxküll

Hi,

I'm looking for a good set of cans for metal in the price range of $200-400. So far I'm considering BEYERDYNAMIC DT770 PRO (80 Ohms), Meze 99 or Grado SR80x. May consider spending a bit more for the BEYERDYNAMIC DT 177X GO if they are much better compared to the cheaper Beyer option. I mostly listen to Black, Death and Prog but I more or less listen to all metal genres (excluding Nu of course). Which ones do you recommend? As far as an amp I'm considering the DX3 Pro or DROP O2.

Thank you for your help.
----
"Nullum unquam exstitit magnum igenium sine aliqua dementia [there was never great genius without some madness]."

Best of Metal A-Z: http://metalstorm.net/users/lists.php?user_id=158339
08.09.2022 - 19:13
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
God damn! Isn't it annoying when your out listening to an album and really getting into it, then one side of my earphones suddenly stops working It's a regular problem that keeps occurring. I can't tell you how many earphones I've gone through this year, I've lost count.
08.09.2022 - 20:34
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 08.09.2022 at 19:13

God damn! Isn't it annoying when your out listening to an album and really getting into it, then one side of my earphones suddenly stops working It's a regular problem that keeps occurring. I can't tell you how many earphones I've gone through this year, I've lost count.

I had exactly the same problem for years because I somehow didn't see the need to spend a lot of money on a tiny mass product. Instead, I always bought the cheapest earphones, used them until after a few weeks one side conked out, stuffed the remains into a small box, and picked up the next pair.

At some point the box was full and I roughly calculated how much money all that junk had cost me over the years. As a result, I bought higher-quality earphones for the first time in my life - and I'm still very happy with them. My Marshall Mode EQs are now almost five years old, they are still very loud no matter the audio source, and they have enough bass. But the best thing is that they're working just as well as on the first day, and that's even though my cat loves to nibble on the cables.
----
signatures = SPAM
08.09.2022 - 21:19
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by Starvynth on 08.09.2022 at 20:34

I had exactly the same problem for years because I somehow didn't see the need to spend a lot of money on a tiny mass product. Instead, I always bought the cheapest earphones, used them until after a few weeks one side conked out, stuffed the remains into a small box, and picked up the next pair.

At some point the box was full and I roughly calculated how much money all that junk had cost me over the years. As a result, I bought higher-quality earphones for the first time in my life - and I'm still very happy with them. My Marshall Mode EQs are now almost five years old, they are still very loud no matter the audio source, and they have enough bass. But the best thing is that they're working just as well as on the first day, and that's even though my cat loves to nibble on the cables.

Sounds like I could do with a pair of them, or at least splash out on a more expensive pair of better quality one's. It certainly sounds like it will help me save money in the long run. For some strange reason it's always the right ear piece that stops working, never the left side. I've often thought is it something to do with the wire getting caught in my pocket, but then again I've always stuck to buying a cheaper pair.
12.09.2022 - 13:26
gavdann

Written by Maco on 16.07.2019 at 07:11

I just bought the Sennheiser 4.50 with Noise Cancelling and now I feel I've been listening to music the wrong way all the time. Extremely comfortable too.

I have had a pair of these for 3 or 4 years and they're still going strong but now the plasticy leather lining has split away from the foam ear cushions. It's only the central part so not a major issue but have you ever had to replace yours? I notice it's quite easy to buy replacements from ebay, etc but they look kinda fiddly to do and I don't want to wreck them completely.