Metal Storm logo
Requesting: Melodic Death Metal

15.11.2007 - 08:42
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
so basically im currently in this phase of melodeath, and in particular, lesser known bands. some of the bands im currently listening to include; Callenish Circle, Blood Stain Child, Gates of Ishtar, Arsis, The Absence, Nightrage etc...

so if anyone knows of any lesser known, and good (key word: good) melodeath, would they please post them, giving a description why they like them, whats different about them etc...

post away
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
15.11.2007 - 09:15
Eternal Flames

Skyfire - Swedish melodic death along the lines of Children Of Bodom, Kalmah. Very melodic with a nice use of keys to contrast the guitar work. Definitely worth checking out if you like COB.

The Duskfall - A slightly heavier melodic death metal band, which I guess could be compared to Nightrage. I've only heard one of their albums entitled "Lifetime Supply of Guilt" and it's very good. They're very intense yet with some great melodic riffs.

Ceremonial Oath - Not a very well known band but they're definitely one of the bands that had a huge impact on the melodic death/Gothenburg scene. They have split up, but they're definitely worth checking out. They're not the greatest melodic death band, and it takes a while to really appreciate them, but they've got some good stuff.

Be'lakor - This is an Australian band based in Melbourne. They're my favourite melodic death metal band at the moment and probably the most original too. They've got great vocals, guitar work is superb and the use of keyboard/piano just flows beautifully. If you're looking for great melodic death metal yet slightly different from anything else you've heard, look no further.

A few other notable mentions would be Pathogen, Zonaria, Vornagar. There's a lot more but I'll leave it at that for the moment. I think that's a fair bit to look into.
15.11.2007 - 09:22
Opium
Account deleted
Just to note, it's spelled phase

I went through the same phase, so I know how it feels to not get enough of this DM subgenre

Ablaze My Sorrow: This band split up from what I know, not the most aggressive sound, but they certainly have catchy melodies, similar to Gothenburg bands that could also fall into the Melodic Death side, like my next recommendation

Ceremonial Oath: This band contains one of the members on In Flames, so the link can be made between the two, but still more aggressive overall, when comparing them to latter.

Detonation: Amongst the best Dutch Melodic Death bands I've heard, although their latest isn't recommendable, but others seem to think otherwise (I'm looking at you, Marcel ). The only problem here is that their sound can become a little flat, unlike the other two bands mentioned.

Symbyosis: A slightly obscure band, you might need to give them a little time before you become accustomed to their sound, some tracks can be quite experimental, while others are straightforward. Still recommended because of how different they are to the other clones out there.
15.11.2007 - 09:59
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by Guest on 15.11.2007 at 09:22

Just to note, it's spelled phase

i knew it! it didn't look right at all, prob because i spelt it wrong! i must have had one of those mind blanks when spelling things thanks for that

and thats two reccomendations for ceremonial oath, i think theyll be first on my checking out list
----
15.11.2007 - 12:02
b0000mst1ck

i'll add a few onto your list since this is one of the genre's i enjoy most, and hopefully you'll find some other bands to enjoy. i'm not sure whether you'd consider some of them to be metalcore or not, but i don't. what's considered metalcore in the US is half as heavy as these bands.

anterior - take insomnium, give the vocalist a higher-pitched voice and that's what these guys sound like. i'd suggest their latest release "this age of silence".

cipher system - these guys have only released one studio CD and shared a split w/by night before that. i'd compare them to older soilwork (chainheart machine era).

fall of serenity - these guys fall more into the gothenburg genre but they're still worth mentioning. their talent precedes them because they're hardly ever mentioned, but i'd recommend them in a heartbeat. i'd give them a mors principium est nod, minus all the electronic fillers.

malefice - these guys just released their first album in september but they've all played in other bands. (sikth, for one.) anyway, take chimaira, sepultura and akercocke and mash them together.

and take eternal flames' advice and check out zonaria. they're definitely worth it!!
15.11.2007 - 13:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I wont post huge list of band but only fiew because i had talked about it
Well know band slike Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquility, Amon Amarth , Burden of Grief, Gates of Ishtar, Sanctimomy(early), At The gates9early), Entopmbed(early), Sentenced(early),Amorphis(early), Neglected Fields, Mortified (Est) ) Mandragiora(Lithaunia), Ossatorium(Lithania), Ablaze My Sorrow(Swe) , The Moaning .....

Ok here you had some of them those what I can remember whit out I-net help but i had hear more , but cant remeber them . I knwo I know some 10-15 more but sorry tahy fall out of my memory, but look in German scene there shod be some 5 good bands(one are Burden of Grief), also early Sweden scene , basicly best bands are in Sweden and Germany, but all are born in early 90ties
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.11.2007 - 13:59
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 15.11.2007 at 08:42

so basically im currently in this phase of melodeath, and in particular, lesser known bands. some of the bands im currently listening to include; Callenish Circle, Blood Stain Child, Gates of Ishtar, Arsis, The Absence, Nightrage etc...

so if anyone knows of any lesser known, and good (key word: good) melodeath, would they please post them, giving a description why they like them, whats different about them etc...

post away

If you want, Ill send you song "Metal Storm", by serbian band Psychoparadox, they are Technical/melodic death, kinda legendary band here, so you can say me if you like it??
----
15.11.2007 - 14:06
Warman
Erotic Stains
Isn't there a really good article about melo-Death here on the forum?
----
15.11.2007 - 14:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Warman on 15.11.2007 at 14:06

Isn't there a really good article about melo-Death here on the forum?

Yes there are but it isnt good I vote about it whit 5
http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/article.php?article_id=67
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.11.2007 - 08:38
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by Eternal Flames on 15.11.2007 at 09:15

Skyfire - heard of them, already got some of their stuff

The Duskfall - heard of them, recently bought frailty = good album

Ceremonial Oath - havent heard and love the stuff ive heard so far, the book of truth is a good album, i find

Be'lakor - heard of them, never really listened to them b4 but i think i will soon

A few other notable mentions would be Pathogen, Zonaria, Vornagar. There's a lot more but I'll leave it at that for the moment. I think that's a fair bit to look into.

zonaria's a good band, got there album, infamy and the breed, and its quite good

thanks for the feedback

basically my thoughts are in the quote yeh its a bit dodgy, but it was the easiest way
----
16.11.2007 - 09:42
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
Ok, it's my turn. I think I know a couple of bands you could like.

Eucharist - Melodic Death as you have requested, but VERY good Melodeath. I think you are a guitar player, BurbotsRevenge, right? Then their album Mirrorworlds is for you. I insist on this point, you HAVE to check them out. Really. I'm sure other people here would agree on this, and I am surprised they haven't been mentioned here yet (Opium?).

Satariel - A decent band, playing decent music. Their style has changed with time, if you want some "harsh" Melodic Death, then you can try their album "Phobos And Deimos", similar to what At The Gates used to play. It's very fast, and quite enjoyable.
Or, if you want something more melodic, listen to "Hydra", for which I have written a little review. (Yes, I am promoting it.. and then? ).
The two albums are quite different though. But they are both worth the trying, really.

I could also mention a Swedish band named Avatar, but I don't like them, so.. I prefer insisting on the two other recommendations .
16.11.2007 - 09:46
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.11.2007 at 09:42

Eucharist - Melodic Death as you have requested, but VERY good Melodeath. I think you are a guitar player, BurbotsRevenge, right? Then their album Mirrorworlds is for you. I insist on this point, you HAVE to check them out. Really. I'm sure other people here would agree on this, and I am surprised they haven't been mentioned here yet (Opium?).

Satariel - A decent band, playing decent music. Their style has changed with time, if you want some "harsh" Melodic Death, then you can try their album "Phobos And Deimos", similar to what At The Gates used to play. It's very fast, and quite enjoyable.
Or, if you want something more melodic, listen to "Hydra", for which I have written a little review. (Yes, I am promoting it.. and then? ).
The two albums are quite different though. But they are both worth the trying, really.

I could also mention a Swedish band named Avatar, but I don't like them, so.. I prefer insisting on the two other recommendations .

I just want to add onto this - Eucharist are a little doomy at times, so don't expect an 'in your face' sort of Melo Death band, Burbot
16.11.2007 - 10:21
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by Guest on 15.11.2007 at 09:22

Ablaze My Sorrow: This band split up from what I know, not the most aggressive sound, but they certainly have catchy melodies, similar to Gothenburg bands that could also fall into the Melodic Death side, like my next recommendation

Ceremonial Oath: This band contains one of the members on In Flames, so the link can be made between the two, but still more aggressive overall, when comparing them to latter.

Detonation: Amongst the best Dutch Melodic Death bands I've heard, although their latest isn't recommendable, but others seem to think otherwise (I'm looking at you, Marcel ). The only problem here is that their sound can become a little flat, unlike the other two bands mentioned.

Symbyosis: A slightly obscure band, you might need to give them a little time before you become accustomed to their sound, some tracks can be quite experimental, while others are straightforward. Still recommended because of how different they are to the other clones out there.

ablaze my sorrow - a good band, that i got some stuff of, actually pretty good band, with some solid songs, and im gonna try and find some of their other stuff to download

ceremonial oath - yeh, checked them out - good stuff, especially book of truth album

detonation - yeh, heard of them, not much of their older stuff thugh

symbiosis - havent looked them up yet, but will do

thanks for your response
----
16.11.2007 - 10:24
ylside

Try also to check the first comment on this article : http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/article.php?article_id=68 . Got some (IMO) milestone albums of this type.
16.11.2007 - 10:29
Eternal Flames

Written by BurbotsRevenge on 16.11.2007 at 08:38

basically my thoughts are in the quote yeh its a bit dodgy, but it was the easiest way

Cheers for the feedback. Yeah, I wasn't sure how 'underground' or unknown bands you were searching for, so those were the first that came to mind.

There's a few other bands that I was expecting others to have mentioned, but it seems they've been forgotten. I've taken the time this time to add in the myspace links also to make it easy for you to check them out

Dispatched - I'm really surprised no one has mentioned them yet. Another great Swedish band, alike COB, Kalmah and Norther.
http://www.myspace.com/dispatchedband

Prophanity - A band I used to listen to heaps while I was going through a melo-death phase a few years ago. It featured members from power metal band Dragonland, however I think they have departed since. Some good, slightly more abrasive melodic death though.
http://www.myspace.com/thetrueprophanity

Within Y
Okay, so they aren't that unknown, but they're still worth mentioning for others who may not have heard them. Gothenburg style band comparable to In Flames.
http://www.myspace.com/withinyband

Raintime
Some great non-Scandinavian melo-death. Here we have a pretty good Italian band. They've recently released their new album "Flies And Lies" which isn't as good as their debut, but I think you might enjoy it nevertheless. They've got a very nice mix of clean and extreme vocals.
http://www.myspace.com/raintime
16.11.2007 - 10:37
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
so much feedback, my rapidshare and megaupload sites have filled the limit i guess i just have to wait, until i can download more... unless anyone has a tirck to bypass the rapidshare/megaupload limits
----
16.11.2007 - 11:26
Opium
Account deleted
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 16.11.2007 at 10:37

so much feedback, my rapidshare and megaupload sites have filled the limit i guess i just have to wait, until i can download more... unless anyone has a tirck to bypass the rapidshare/megaupload limits

You should get the program Soulseek, you'll find everything you need there, guaranteed
16.11.2007 - 11:54
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Guest on 16.11.2007 at 11:26

You should get the program Soulseek, you'll find everything you need there, guaranteed

yes its true. Soulseek is the best!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.11.2007 - 16:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 16.11.2007 at 09:42

I totally agree with you on this one. I had forgot all about these young Swedes but my interest was rekindled because of the interview I did with Koen of Detonation where he mentioned them as a huge influence on him. And Ninklas Sundin (Dark Tranquillity) mentioned them as well when I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago.

Another melodic death metal band people seem to forget is:
Demigod Their Unholy Domain demo and Slumber Of Sullen Eyes debut are true melodic death metal masterpieces. But, WARNING, do stay away from anything they released after that.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.11.2007 - 17:18
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.11.2007 at 16:59

Demigod Their Unholy Domain demo and Slumber Of Sullen Eyes debut are true melodic death metal masterpieces. But, WARNING, do stay away from anything they released after that.

Oh right! I think it's one of Nervel's favourite Death Metal bands. But I wouldn't recommend them to someone who is seeking Melodic Death, unless you like Death Metal - BourbotsRevenge, do you like Death Metal?
I really, really, don't want to argue, but these guys don't sound Melodic to me, even if they do play a slow-paced Death Metal. I have only heard Slumber Of Sullen Eyes though. They might have changed after that. Have they?

After posting in this thread, I checked an album I have had for a while but which I hadn't listened to. It is:
Noumena - Absence (2005). It turns out to be some OK Melodeath. You can try them, they are a little original (a few sentences sung with clear vocals here and there, I did say a few. Some female vocals.. a little touch of Folk in some songs...), even if the production and performance is not the best ever.
16.11.2007 - 19:07
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Try Enter My Silence. They're from Finland and their bass player is Ville Friman (Insomnium). So far i've only heard one album from them (Remotecontrolled Scythe) and i think that's an enjoyable album, nothing new though. The other melodeath bands that i know have already been mentioned.
16.11.2007 - 19:33
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
I just noticed that i totally forgot to mention other bands.

Scar Symmetry - Probably you already know this band. They released an album this year (i only heard that one) and i used to like it a lot (clean vocals fit well) but now is nothing special to me. Many people say that the previous one was better, but i haven't heard it yet.

Arsis - 2004 was when they released their first album, and that album is in my list of 2004 best albums. I liked everything in that album, specially the energy that transmits.

Mercenary - This band mixes Melodeath with Power Metal. The album that i recommend you is "11 Dreams". This album is so full of catchy melodies!

Avatar - Band that i recently discovered. They released their second album very recently. I've already heard their two albums and i think that the first one is quite average but the second one totally amazed me. One of my favorite melodeath songs at the moment is "Wildflower" (it's on their most recent album).

2nd Suicide - They only have released two demos, but they're quite good. In fact, they can be downloaded at this location: http://www.2ndsuicide.com/music.php

Then you have Suidakra and Dismember that probably you already know.
16.11.2007 - 23:45
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery

hey, ive doloaded soulseek, and im really confused how this thing works? i try the search files option, and search for stuff, eg. Burden of Giref = no results came, and avatar = no results so im not sure what im doing wrong? can u help?
----
17.11.2007 - 07:00
Opium
Account deleted
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 16.11.2007 at 23:45

hey, ive doloaded soulseek, and im really confused how this thing works? i try the search files option, and search for stuff, eg. Burden of Giref = no results came, and avatar = no results so im not sure what im doing wrong? can u help?

I can't find Burden of Grief myself, but I found both of Avatar's albums

Ok, click the right mouse button ont the window in the top right and click on 'Add User', then type in these users "HumanError" and "simpleethat", then right click on the same window again and select 'Search for files in user list' and then type in "Avatar"

Also add any other users you come across onto this list, it helps with future searches

EDIT: Wait, found Burden of Grief, add the user "thrashmania80", he has their material
17.11.2007 - 07:02
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by Guest on 17.11.2007 at 07:00

Written by BurbotsRevenge on 16.11.2007 at 23:45

I can't find Burden of Grief myself, but I found both of Avatar's albums

Ok, click the right mouse button ont the window in the top right and click on 'Add User', then type in these users "HumanError" and "simpleethat", then right click on the same window again and select 'Search for files in user list' and then type in "Avatar"

Also add any other users you come across onto this list, it helps with future searches

ok, thanks, i tryed again this morning, and i got some results for burden of grief, but still none for avatar, but i managed to get their album off rapidshare, so its all good, and it seems like a good program
----
17.11.2007 - 07:38
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
heres some for other people, of bands that ive found:

myGRAIN - finnish melodeath band, released one album; Orbit Dance - one good melodeath album

lost dreams - not sure how i found them, but have their tormented souls album, which is quite good, vocals deeper than normal meoldeath

immortal souls - such an awesome melodeat band, similar to CoB and Kalmah, this christian band is reaqlly awesome and one of my all time fav melodeath abdns, check out album; Ice upon the night

take these as a "return" for the great response so far...

thanks everyone but keep on recommending - u can never have enough meolodeath
----
17.11.2007 - 11:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 16.11.2007 at 17:18

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.11.2007 at 16:59

... I wouldn't recommend them to someone who is seeking Melodic Death, unless you like Death Metal ...

I really don't understand what you mean by this since melodic DEATH METAL is a form of death metal, just as technical death metal & brutal death metal are suibgenres of death metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.11.2007 - 11:35
ylside

On another note.. as you're interested in rather "new" stuff, I REALLY would like to get feedback about Garden of Shadows. Just go download it as i don't think there are copy left for sale. A really unique atmospheric and melodic DM band.
17.11.2007 - 11:46
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by ylside on 17.11.2007 at 11:35

On another note.. as you're interested in rather "new" stuff, I REALLY would like to get feedback about Garden of Shadows. Just go download it as i don't think there are copy left for sale. A really unique atmospheric and melodic DM band.

took a while to find to download, but im currently downloading both their albums, cant wait to hear it, and ill leave some feedback tommorrow, after ive give it a listen
----
17.11.2007 - 11:53
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.11.2007 at 11:25

I really don't understand what you mean by this since melodic DEATH METAL is a form of death metal, just as technical death metal & brutal death metal are suibgenres of death metal.

What if he doesn't like the brutality of "straight" Death Metal? I know some people who like Melodic Death but don't like Death Metal. I was like that myself, some years ago. It's as simple as that.

EDIT: It'd be understandable if he liked Eucharist and not Deicide. That's just an example. I don't know if he does or not.