07. Midas Touch
08. Tread On The Necks Of Kings
09. It Came From Over There
10. Intelligence Has Been Compromised
11. Open-Eyed Beast Attack
12. Birdbath
13. Bone Needle
14. Seminar

A full package including the most astonishing music The Red Chord has made along with disturbing imagery and nihilistic lyrics that could be just as sarcastic and clever as the ones in Pig Destroyer's set. As far as the blind eye goes, this band was going downhill after releasing "Clients" back in 2005, the album got harsh reviews and poor response?It seems that fact only pissed the band off and encouraged them to make one of the most hostile and impulsive albums of 2007.

The music has now doubled its power, it's now more lined to Grindcore than Metalcore and we can hear it from the start actually, "Film Critiques And Militia Men" is just arsonist to the core, it starts and ends with full-blast chaos and it of course lasts only for one minute like the old Grindcore era. Then the album takes a melodious turn with some tracks but it always leaves the spastic music as a topping, and so "Prey For Eyes" becomes highly digestible while being insanely fast and vicious.

Technically this album takes one step forward to complex songwriting and bizarre structures, although the convulsive execution and raging music doesn't leave much space for "brilliant" creativity or shocking virtuosity, there are still some tracks that show a different face of the band by creating layers and irregular time-signatures (mainly the slower tunes like "Tread On The Necks Of Kings"/"It Came From Over There") Thus making the album suitable even for the wooden ears that usually discard this type of music.

This is a great album actually, but I do think avid fans of the Grindcore School won't be able to bare neither the Alternative overtones nor the Melodious approaches and they might not find here what they were looking for in bands like "Antigama", "The County Medical Examiners" or "Inferia" this year. But people who can take versatility and fresh blends of Metal in their collection will be 150% pleased with the results of "Prey For Eyes" no doubt about it.

Best Tracks: "Pray For Eyes", "Film Critiques And militia Men", "Dread Prevailed"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by Herzebeth | 14.11.2007

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 72 users
15.11.2007 - 14:27
Deadsoulman

I've not heard their older material so I can't compare, but I quite enjoy this one. It's sometimes a bit over the top with everyone playing all over the place, so it's not flowing as well as, say, the last Cephalic Carnage, but it's still a very good album. Cool review
16.11.2007 - 06:24
Rating: 8
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This album is good, but it's not memorable at all for me. Sometimes it's just technical for the sake of being technical.
18.12.2007 - 03:06
Rating: 6
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
Supposedly Jonny Davy (Job For A Cowboy) is featured on tracks 2 and 5, but I can't hear it. Can anyone point out to me when his vocals come in?
04.07.2008 - 16:17
Rating: 8
Rupert

On track five I hear a few parts where there are two screams, but that's not necessarily Jonny Davy backing.
When I started to listen to this album I was thinking "oh great another one of these", but the further I got into the album the better it got. Tracks 9 and 14 are definitely my favourite. Good review by the way
10.02.2015 - 09:57
Dr. Strawberry

I hate reading a review without having a rate !
10.02.2015 - 10:32
Zap
Yeah, then you actually have to read stuff to find out what the reviewer thinks. Fucking sucks man.
10.02.2015 - 12:50
Ilham
Giant robot
He doesn't have anything to complain about so he complains about that instead. Ugh.
10.02.2015 - 13:37
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 10.02.2015 at 09:57

Taken average from number giving below review, it's 8.25. Now what?

Anyway, what happened to review of Dawn Of Ashes's Genocide Chapters? You writing?
11.02.2015 - 09:47
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 10.02.2015 at 13:37

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 10.02.2015 at 09:57

Taken average from number giving below review, it's 8.25. Now what?

Anyway, what happened to review of Dawn Of Ashes's Genocide Chapters? You writing?

Patient...is the key

Hits total: 4821 | This month: 16