Metal Storm logo
Technical music influences of Black Metal?

16.11.2007 - 01:08
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I suppose that I never put a lot of thought into it, and although I feel I know a good amount about black metal, I am not entirely sure what the technical inspiration's are that dictate playing style's.

The best I can figure is, Black Sabbath has been credited with pretty much creating the heaviest sound of it's time which inspired every generation hence forth (not necassarily every metal band mind you), but aside from that Venom was the biggest influence on black metal. Then it was Celtic Frost/Hellhammer, and Bathory. I also know that Darkthrone has been inspired by Motorhead.. but beyond this I am not sure what other influences there could have been to help define the style and technique's used in black metal.

It's kind of sacrilege, but in a way, some early black metal kind of remind's me of early punk - fast, simplistic and with defiance. Any idea's?
16.11.2007 - 01:10
bucky01403
Account deleted
I agree with pretty much all of what you said, except you forgot to mention Mercyful Fate as an influence.
16.11.2007 - 02:34
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I did think about King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, but wasn't sure how severe the influence was.
16.11.2007 - 02:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I agree but mousty BM was influenced of bathory, Venom, Sodom, KD/MF almoust ewery US DM band(Morbod Angel, Orbituary, also POSSESSED) basicl BM was influenced of death/thrash/speed and such real bands like Masters Hammer, Bulldozer(yes Illona The werry best and Illona has ellected ) those 3 man bands whit hair, letter pans and hair, and also epic thinks, but in Scandinavia there was ...SCANDINAVIAN THINkS, but nowdays bands are influenced of ... immortal, Mayhem ..

WERRY GOOD ARTICLE

http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/article.php?article_id=64
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.11.2007 - 04:06
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Bad English on 16.11.2007 at 02:46

I agree but mousty BM was influenced of bathory, Venom, Sodom, KD/MF almoust ewery US DM band(Morbod Angel, Orbituary, also POSSESSED) basicl BM was influenced of death/thrash/speed and such real bands like Masters Hammer, Bulldozer(yes Illona The werry best and Illona has ellected ) those 3 man bands whit hair, letter pans and hair, and also epic thinks, but in Scandinavia there was ...SCANDINAVIAN THINkS, but nowdays bands are influenced of ... immortal, Mayhem ..

WERRY GOOD ARTICLE

http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/article.php?article_id=64

Thanks for posting the link to that article K7, and you brought up a good point in which I totally forgot about; death metal. I recall Soulside Journey being more of a death metal album for Darkthrone, and speaking of Darkthrone I got their latest release today and they list off a whole bunch of album's by differant band's that they recommend, which to me is just as good as influences for them, on some level or another.

Perhaps it is a bit naive, or possibly ignorant, but I tend to think that Mayhem created the modern or "true" black metal sound. Although, I imagine that could be very heavily argued with that Bathory started it, particularily "Blood, Fire, Death".
16.11.2007 - 12:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
NP man

In those days there was not so much music like nowdays moust of genres born leither, exist, heavy, hard rock, death, trad. doom, thrash , but others hanst born yet so BM bands start whit detah and criate something new for time, and BM was in cradle that days, fiew bands play such type of BM, leither there was much bands but we all more know/like firts one, but also bands like Darkwood my Bethroned, Windir , mix something what bodn leither whit trOO BM
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing