Metal Storm logo
SikTh

06.06.2006 - 00:03
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Seeing as the new album is out tomorrow (26th for UK ) I thought I'd resurrect this thread for what is the most underrated band ever.

I'm very surprised this awesome English band haven't been mentioned much. I really don't know how to classify them but a lot of people call them "Weirdcore" which I think is pretty inaccurate, despite being one of the most unique bands I've ever listened to.

The album "The Trees are Dead and Dried Out, Wait For Something Wild" is an absolute masterpiece. I've never listened to an album so chaotic yet brimming with fantastic ideas.

The new album 'Death of a Dead Day' is probably going to be a contender for album of the year and I suspect the adjective "genius" will once again be frequently used to describe this band. I've heard a couple of songs I managed to download off a guy who has it on Soulseek before he went offline and they were pretty amazing

I canne wait!
06.06.2006 - 01:12
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
I'll reply here, as I did to the earlier thread: great band. And yes, very under-recognised, but there is a case of pearls before swine here as they succesfully blend a great variety of styles into their concoction, all the while outrageously dismissing genre typings and just calling themselves heavy metal (gotta love that )

The singers are great, going from screams to growls to cleans to rapping all fluently, all credibly and without sounding unjustified in the context of the songs.

And, being a bassist myself, I rather enjoy the basswork herein, with funky touches and slapping lines here and there. All in all, a very fresh band.

EDIT: and yeah, the new songs I've heard on myspace were quite yummy sounding
08.06.2006 - 13:14
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
i wouldn't consider them avant garde,but they are quite inventive and original (despite the dilllinger worship).

great band anyway. i really need to get this new album
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
08.06.2006 - 22:51
Baz Anderson
Staff
i dont know what i would call them at all, but that doesnt matter
i baught their first album as soon as it was released because i was attracted towards them for some reason
the album is really good, but i havent listened to it in a long long time - i dont know if i would find it exciting now or not
so i havent heard the new album - i dont know if i will listen to it or what.
i may download it sometime and see what it is like - but if anyone else wants to say what the new album is like, i will pay attention..
09.06.2006 - 00:15
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by Baz Anderson on 08.06.2006 at 22:51

i dont know what i would call them at all, but that doesnt matter

how about technical hardcore?
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
10.06.2006 - 02:51
Baz Anderson
Staff
maybe - i thought they were quite progressiveas well, but i dont know much about progressive so i wont say any more. haha
the term 'hardcore' always seems to make me dislike the band - probably because of other bands that people also call 'hardcore'
14.06.2006 - 14:38
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
touring england in september/october.

woot
----

Read Watchmen.
18.09.2006 - 03:26
Nefarious
Doom Knight
Staff
Sikth are so underrated its untrue! I've been addicted to their music ever since they released their "Let The Transmitting Begin" EP which absolutly blew me away. I've been lucky enough to see them live a couple of times & they are as good live as they are on CD. They always make time to come out & speak to the fans after their shows too which is quite refreshing. I just got the new album & it seems pretty good, but like any Sikth release you need to hear it about 20 times until you can work out what the hell is going on

Them & Gutworm have to be two of the most underrated bands in the UK at the moment IMO.
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
20.01.2008 - 02:45
Talvi
Ok, this is a very big bump there. but I was just hearing this band I recently discovered and there is no info in this page and i was like WTF? This is a great band, just that this webzine doesn't support alternative/avant-garde bands as much as death/black.

To describe what they play, I'd say as if Sleepytime Gorilla Museum fucked with System Of A Down, but they took so many drugs when the girl was pregnant that the baby was born as Metalcore.

Or you can try get it so you can see how do they sound
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
20.01.2008 - 02:46
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I haven't heard them since I was in 10th grade or so, but I remember thinking the few songs I heard sounded like System of a Down on crack.
20.01.2008 - 03:50
b0000mst1ck
aahh sikth, one of the few avantgarde bands i can listen to. i first heard these guys in 2006, around the time "death of a dead day" came out, and it really is impressive IMO. great fucking guitar work, and i think their vocalists do a good job of contrasting each other (although their lyrics hardly make sense). i especially like when they both share the same part but use different tones in their voices.

their one singer (dale butler) actually left the band and is now playing with malefice. they aren't nearly as creative as sikth is, but they're still okay. it's too bad they play metalcore, though.
20.01.2008 - 13:26
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
Written by b0000mst1ck on 20.01.2008 at 03:50

although their lyrics hardly make sense

I just have to comment on this, since I can't quite agree here. Surely, the lyrics are often wrapped in several layers of metaphore and vague imagery, but that doesn't mean they're bereft of sense. Some meanings are easier to decipher, and in some the listener just has to be imaginative and interpretive
20.01.2008 - 20:36
b0000mst1ck
Written by Guest on 20.01.2008 at 13:26

Written by b0000mst1ck on 20.01.2008 at 03:50

although their lyrics hardly make sense

I just have to comment on this, since I can't quite agree here. Surely, the lyrics are often wrapped in several layers of metaphore and vague imagery, but that doesn't mean they're bereft of sense. Some meanings are easier to decipher, and in some the listener just has to be imaginative and interpretive

okay. i didn't go into detail in an attempt to keep my post shorter. songs like bland street bloom or part of the friction are easy to interpret, but mermaid slur?

i understand that the lyrics mean something to the band and others, but i'm not THAT much of a fan to sit down and figure out what all the lyircs are about. for example, i'm sure horses or a fond old river are metaphores for something else. however, i don't care enough to find out.
20.01.2008 - 22:11
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
@harbinger, yea, I didn't mean to say that you are a worse off as a person if you don't want to analyse their lyrical repertoire through and through with a philosophical comb. I was just being a semantic prick
20.01.2008 - 22:16
b0000mst1ck
Written by Guest on 20.01.2008 at 22:11

@harbinger, yea, I didn't mean to say that you are a worse off as a person if you don't want to analyse their lyrical repertoire through and through with a philosophical comb. I was just being a semantic prick

lol, it's okay. i was just stating how i viewed their lyrics as somewhat over-complicating. i just enjoy them because they're highly talented, is all. i do respect the thoughtfulness they use when writing, though.

on a sidenote, i really hope they find a good vocalist. it's a shame they lost both their previous ones at the same time, because i thought they did an excellent job together.
03.02.2008 - 11:45
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
i really like this band, new and creative stuff.I feel like they are a better heavier version of SOAD.Then again they prove you wrong wit the next song.Cant really put them down under a specific genre.

and being a bassist the bass lines are really kick ass, hope to hear more stuff from them
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
04.03.2008 - 01:53
Talvi
Ok, I still only heard their debut, but I'm quite obsessed about it these days. Each time I hear it, I like it even more. And it has been like 20 times, and it's still growing on me. This has to be one of the hardest bands to get into, at least for me.

How is it their second album compared to the debut? I don't want to hear it until I don't know the debut by heart, but I have lots of expectations. It's a shame both vocalists left, I always become fan of a band when they broke up or some members left or something like that, I have bad luck with this.
----
04.03.2008 - 02:40
b0000mst1ck
Written by Talvi on 04.03.2008 at 01:53

Ok, I still only heard their debut, but I'm quite obsessed about it these days. Each time I hear it, I like it even more. And it has been like 20 times, and it's still growing on me. This has to be one of the hardest bands to get into, at least for me.

How is it their second album compared to the debut? I don't want to hear it until I don't know the debut by heart, but I have lots of expectations. It's a shame both vocalists left, I always become fan of a band when they broke up or some members left or something like that, I have bad luck with this.

i think their second album is better than the first. better production value and sound quality, as well as more diversity from song to song.

and yes, it's a terrible shame that both vocalists left. they blended together so well that i doubt they'll find a worthy replacement.
04.03.2008 - 03:33
Talvi
Written by b0000mst1ck on 04.03.2008 at 02:40

i think their second album is better than the first. better production value and sound quality, as well as more diversity from song to song.

and yes, it's a terrible shame that both vocalists left. they blended together so well that i doubt they'll find a worthy replacement.

Couldn't they have done the same music with just 1 vocalist?
----
04.03.2008 - 04:52
b0000mst1ck
Written by Talvi on 04.03.2008 at 03:33

Written by b0000mst1ck on 04.03.2008 at 02:40

Couldn't they have done the same music with just 1 vocalist?

well the one singer (can't remember which one) joined a group called malefice. he does a good job, even though they play metalcore, but they don't have that clash between higher screams/singing and growls that both singers brought for sikth.

don't get me wrong, the musicians in sikth are amazing (for lack of a better term), so i'm sure they won't let up any. i just don't think they'll sound as close to what they have in the past with a new singer. i'll still buy any CD they release though, simply because of the stellar musicianship.
18.09.2008 - 03:12
brapp32
I like these guys I wish they didn't break up. I remember the first time I heard them I was thinking what the hell is this.
18.09.2008 - 23:05
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by brapp32 on 18.09.2008 at 03:12

I like these guys I wish they didn't break up. I remember the first time I heard them I was thinking what the hell is this.

Yeah it was the "what the hell" factor which attracted me to them in the first place. Still, like 4/5 years later 'The Trees Are Dead..." still makes me go "wft."
15.03.2011 - 08:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
SikTh's vocalist (and awesome one at that), Mikee Goodman, has a new band called The Painted Smiles: http://www.myspace.com/thepaintedsmiles

Pretty good from what little I've heard actually.

But yeah, SikTh continue to wow me even after their demise.
15.03.2011 - 11:26
Nefarious
Doom Knight
Staff
Written by Guest on 15.03.2011 at 08:04

SikTh's vocalist (and awesome one at that), Mikee Goodman, has a new band called The Painted Smiles: http://www.myspace.com/thepaintedsmiles

Pretty good from what little I've heard actually.

But yeah, SikTh continue to wow me even after their demise.

Mikee is also in a band called Sad Season http://www.myspace.com/sadseason but like The Painted Smiles, there is only limited material available.

I wish they would just reform SikTh They are one of those bands that seem to have a permanent home on my playlist. I never seem to go more than a few months without going back & listening to them again. Just never get bored of it.
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
20.03.2011 - 06:55
Void_Eater
Account deleted
What's this? A metalcore band that I enjoy? It seems to be. Checked them out a few days ago, very interesting band to say the least... The clean vocals sometimes sound to poppish for my taste, as most -core bands do, but those riffs are really unlike any other band I've heard before. And those screamed vocals... They're almost laughable, but they fit in with the whole experimental fucked up sound of the music. Are you aware of any other bands like this? My curiosity is perked...
20.03.2011 - 16:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 20.03.2011 at 06:55

What's this? A metalcore band that I enjoy? It seems to be. Checked them out a few days ago, very interesting band to say the least... The clean vocals sometimes sound to poppish for my taste, as most -core bands do, but those riffs are really unlike any other band I've heard before. And those screamed vocals... They're almost laughable, but they fit in with the whole experimental fucked up sound of the music. Are you aware of any other bands like this? My curiosity is perked...

You could try out TesseracT, they borrown a lot from SikTh's sound. Other than that, maybe Cyclamen, I haven't listened to them much but they're a bit crazy and shizzle and sound like they're coming from the same kind of place as SikTh. I like them anyway.

Actually there is a band called Shy Of The Depth but they've based themselves so much on SikTh's sound it's just ridiculous. To say they're a second rate clone doesn't even come close.
20.03.2011 - 19:35
Mikyz
Written by Guest on 20.03.2011 at 16:16

You could try out TesseracT, they borrown a lot from SikTh's sound. Other than that, maybe Cyclamen, I haven't listened to them much but they're a bit crazy and shizzle and sound like they're coming from the same kind of place as SikTh. I like them anyway.

Actually there is a band called Shy Of The Depth but they've based themselves so much on SikTh's sound it's just ridiculous. To say they're a second rate clone doesn't even come close.

TesseracT and Cyclamen are what they're calling "Djent", they're pretty crazy but they don't come close to SikTh quality and insanity wise. I'll check Shy of the Depth later on, but if their sound is similar to SikTh, it'd be more than awesome. I'm searching hard for a song that's similar to "Can't We All Dream", which is a freaking masterpiece so if you anything that comes close let me know please, thanks.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
20.03.2011 - 20:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by Mikyz on 20.03.2011 at 19:35

TesseracT and Cyclamen are what they're calling "Djent", they're pretty crazy but they don't come close to SikTh quality and insanity wise. I'll check Shy of the Depth later on, but if their sound is similar to SikTh, it'd be more than awesome. I'm searching hard for a song that's similar to "Can't We All Dream", which is a freaking masterpiece so if you anything that comes close let me know please, thanks.

Yeah "Can't We All Dream" is the best example of why this band is ridiculously far beyond any other of its kind. It's pure self-indulgent experimentation, and experimentation that works on its own level. I think to find something similar to it you'd need to look outside of metal to be honest. I've only heard one Shy of the Depth track and it was just a skeleton of what SikTh can do. There was no intelligence behind it, just a mimickry of their sound.

Personally I find the concept of "Djent" completely retarded and not something that I subscribe too. I know people try to pass it off as a movement rather than a sound (even though that's exactly what it is: a sound) but the fact is you'd need to retroactively reclassify Meshuggah into the "Djent" genre and that's not something that makes me happy. No Sir.
03.06.2011 - 09:45
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Guest on 20.03.2011 at 16:16

Tesseract are no way even close to what Sikth were. These guys were quite a loss for the UK scene i'm sure. I caught Tesseract in India when they played for the GIR fest, but I didn't enjoy them much, I hated the vocals. The bassist was pretty solid though. I'm going to listen to some sikth now, I haven't heard them in ages
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
12.07.2011 - 02:57
Selkies
Death of a Dead Day is an amazing album. It seems like bands with 2 lead singers are always really talented: SikTh, The Number 12 Looks Like You, Dance Gavin Dance, etc.
Written by Talvi on 04.03.2008 at 01:53

I always become fan of a band when they broke up or some members left or something like that, I have bad luck with this.

Aggh, me too. It's the worst feeling when I find a band that I actually like, and then I find out that they broke up