04. Crazy But No Fool
05. Life And Death
06. Gabon Viper
07. High Above
08. Red Alert
09. Bloodline
10. Angel Dancer
11. Turkish Nights

House Of Shakira have been around for quite a number of years, and now ten years on from the band's debut these Swedish melodic hard rockers return with their latest offering "Retoxed". House Of Shakira are one of a seemingly booming collection of bands at the moment that are intent on keeping the old style of rock 'n' roll that became so popular around the time of the 80's, this is not new territory for these rockers though as after forming in 1991 this is studio album number five.

"Retoxed" is a modern album with all the charms of the classic rock bands, multiple layers of vocals singing super catchy melodies in every chorus of the album. The band call these, their trademark vocals their "Abba inspiration" with lead vocalist Andreas Eklund constantly being vocally backed up by lead guitarist Mats and bassist Per to produce a grand, sonic wall of singing. Infectious guitar riffs always present make "Retoxed" almost a hard rocking hybrid son of Abba and Kiss. "Crazy But No Fool" and "Life And Death" back to back is the main highlight of the just under fifty minute long album, real rock music with a strong touch of melody, boasting some of the best music of this genre.

House Of Shakira ooze confidence and ability without sounding overly cocky or arrogant. Production is crystal clear, enticing cover art, a good overall performance; "Retoxed" is an all round great album. Nothing highly original or groundbreaking though, no overall outstanding highlight and there may be a couple of songs on the album that slip inconspicuously under radar, but if you know you have a soft spot in your heart for this melodic, highly singing oriented kind of hard rock then these minor drawbacks will have little or no affect on your overall enjoyment of the album. This is melodic hard rock how it should be.

A good beat follows through the whole album, that finishes with the more sombre "Turkish Nights" closing the album, still keeping an element of swagger about it the song is almost ballad-ish and suitable for a fresh, modern, contagious album that delivers what it sets out to deliver in the true spirit of rock. This is not hard, heavy metal, it is mature, elegant and dashing, classy rock 'n' roll that aims to get its infectious charms into your head, and for the most part succeeds marvellously.

Written on 24.11.2007 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 173 users
25.11.2007 - 01:20
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
I would like to listen to this, it's nicely described, and I have been lacking melodic stuff at the moment. But again.. no space for it in the pc.. *sigh*
25.11.2007 - 01:35
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.11.2007 at 01:20

I would like to listen to this, it's nicely described, and I have been lacking melodic stuff at the moment. But again.. no space for it in the pc.. *sigh*

Ahem, what did I recommend deleting?

There's always room for new material on your PC, just take some initiative and delete what isn't needed
25.11.2007 - 07:12
Herzebeth

Ain't Shakira that girl who sings badly and dances with really sexy arabic moveS?

Shakira's House

Shakira

If those guys actually know where her house is...I better start talking to them a bit...
----
25.11.2007 - 11:57
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Guest on 25.11.2007 at 01:20
I don't really think you would... you can play a song straight through your browser by finding them on MS' sampler, it's kinda boring but maybe you will like it...
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
25.11.2007 - 14:07
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
Written by Syk on 25.11.2007 at 11:57

I don't really think you would... you can play a song straight through your browser by finding them on MS' sampler, it's kinda boring but maybe you will like it...

Wrong! I listened to it on the sampler, and I liked it a lot. Thank you for telling me it was there . The song that is not far from being a ballad, and it's the last song of the album. It must be a sort of conclusion to it, that's why you found it boring.
25.11.2007 - 14:48
ylside

House of Shakira... we already have the swedish death band House of Usher (although, of course, they existed before him haha).. what's next, House of Sean Paul ?
25.11.2007 - 15:04
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Guest on 25.11.2007 at 14:07
Wrong! I listened to it on the sampler, and I liked it a lot.
Ah, well, great

Haha, I noticed Usher was the only Swedish House on MA and made the link with the individual artists but failed to realize they're both pop/R&B singers. Let's hope it doesn't come to that! (BTW, that House of Usher, would you recommend them?)
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
25.11.2007 - 17:47
Herzebeth

Written by ylside on 25.11.2007 at 14:48

House of Shakira... we already have the swedish death band House of Usher (although, of course, they existed before him haha).. what's next, House of Sean Paul ?

HAHAHAA LOL

"Get out my head and into the bed girl..."

Lol...you're gonna die when you check that Mexican band called "House of Spears"...really... lol

I think somewhere there's a House of Justin right? or maybe House of Timberlake?

----
28.06.2008 - 12:02
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
I day dream about being in Shakira's house as much as the next guy, but naming your band House Of Shakira takes it a bit too far

Sounds like a good album though, for what it is.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
06.01.2009 - 11:59
Deadsoulman

According to our statistics, this is the most popular review on Metal Storm. I guess a lot of people on the Internet visit this page expecting pictures of Shakira at home (probably naked) I can only laugh at their frustration when they realize they're dealing with hairy hard rockers...
09.05.2009 - 01:19
Magatouve
Account deleted
Written by Deadsoulman on 06.01.2009 at 11:59

According to our statistics, this is the most popular review on Metal Storm. I guess a lot of people on the Internet visit this page expecting pictures of Shakira at home (probably naked) I can only laugh at their frustration when they realize they're dealing with hairy hard rockers...

Yeah.. I was wondering why this the most popular review....
So if I create a fictional band called "Britney Tits" with an album titled "Exposed" and have it reviewed here then it may outdo this one in the charts...
20.07.2010 - 18:06
frewq

Sexy
07.12.2010 - 12:19
Rating: 8
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
Per, if you're reading this, know that you guys picked the right name for the band 20 years ago

Hits total: 56188 | This month: 16