04. Return Of The Pharaoh (Part I)
05. The Battle Of 1386
06. Into The Black
07. Return Of The Pharaoh (Part II)
08. Keys To Avalon
09. Stampede
10. Towards The Light
11. You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget [Yngwie Malmsteen cover] [bonus]

American progressive metallers Artension have been producing albums since 1996, but it wasn't until now that guitarist Roger Staffelbach decided to branch out by himself with his very own project; Roger Staffelbach's Angel Of Eden. This project includes members and guests of musicians that have worked with some of the biggest names in heavy metal - Bruce Dickinson's keyboard player finds himself in the Angel Of Eden line up and also guests include ex Testament and Manowar members and also the talented Ferdy Doernberg of Axel Rudi Pell. It comes to no surprise then that this album delivers the goods.

"The End Of Never", the first album of this Angel Of Eden project kicks off in quality style with the title track and for the duration of this album the foot is relentless with the accelerator as the album goes from strength to strength. Roger Staffelbach leads his troops into battle in traditional neoclassical, progressive and power metal style - melodic, catchy guitar riffs and solos, and for the first four tracks of the album Ferdy Doernberg lends his recognisable magic fingers in the keyboard department also providing splendid backing lines and solos. Carsten "Lizard" Schulz does a good job with his oral wails and apart from sounding a little strained or flat during song "Angel Of Eden" he keeps the quality high throughout.

Roger Staffelbach's Angel Of Eden sounds in ways like the result of a sordid interbreeding session of Yngwie Malmsteen, the members of Masterplan and Axel Rudi Pell in the most respectful of senses. The Malmsteen neoclassical elements combined with the melodic and power metal elements of Axel Rudi Pell and the same, plus the progressive tendencies of Masterplan; all blended smoothly into one band.

"The End Of Never" has it's fair share of diversity, we have speed metal stompers "Dreamchaser", "Into The Black" and the suitably named "Stampede" as well as progressive instrumentals "Return Of The Pharao" Part I and II and the more traditional "Keys To Avalon" leaning more towards the Malmsteen sound, but not as much as the end bonus track - a cover of the great "You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget".

An album of high quality indeed, but you would have a hard time picking highlights, there are no standout tracks, everything on the album entertains and pleasures your musical senses, but unfortunately nothing jumps up and down and grabs your attention like a fire breathing starfish would. Still, on the plus side there are no points on the album where you would fall asleep as if a Jigglypuff were singing to you. "The End Of Never" flaunts musical talent from beginning to end, reaching from powerful metal stompers to delicate progressive and neoclassical movements. This album comprises all the essential elements and more when concerning an album seated in this progressive, power style and inevitabley should arouse the attention of anyone interested in the genre.

Written on 25.11.2007 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 14 users
25.11.2007 - 02:32
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
"Fire breathing starfish"... Where do starfish breath from?
Interesting review and album, although I don't think I'll bother checking it out.
26.11.2007 - 19:26
Metal Maiden
Megadead
Written by Guest on 25.11.2007 at 02:32

"Fire breathing starfish"... Where do starfish breath from?

Uhm, i think he means a starfish that breathes fire...like dragons usually do, you know...
Other than that, i found this album by accident, you can say it found me, and i must say it's quite enjoying...Nothing exceptional though, like Baz said...
26.11.2007 - 19:32
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
Written by Metal Maiden on 26.11.2007 at 19:26

Uhm, i think he means a starfish that breathes fire...like dragons usually do, you know...

Lol, thank you a lot for telling me, that's very nice of you, but I can understand English. Not my fault if he forgot the "-" between "fire" and "breathing". I was quoting Barry.

P.S.: Sorry, my reply seems aggressive.
26.11.2007 - 22:33
Metal Maiden
Megadead
Written by Guest on 26.11.2007 at 19:32

Lol, thank you a lot for telling me, that's very nice of you, but I can understand English...

Well, it certainly didn't seem so...can you blame me

P.S. Yes, it does, but it's OK...
27.11.2007 - 00:07
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Sounds like it might be interesting. I'll buy it this week.
----
(space for rent)

Hits total: 6293 | This month: 9