Disc II [Special Edition Bonus CD - B-Sides/Rarities 1994-2008]
01. Hallowed Be Thy Name [Iron Maiden cover]
02. Alan's On Fire [Poison Idea cover]
03. Negative Creep [Nirvana cover]
04. Seasons Wither
05. My Misery
06. House Of Suffering [Bad Brains cover]
07. The Possibility Of Life's Destruction [Discharge cover]
08. Ten Ton Hammer (Extended Original Mix)
09. Hole In The Sky [Black Sabbath cover]
10. Colors [Ice-T cover]
11. Hard Times [Cro-Mags cover] [live]
12. Halo (I Want Your Soul) [demo 2005 version]
13. Aesthetics Of Hate (Thrash-terpiece) [demo 2005 version]

Disc III [Special Edition DVD]
01. Clenching The Fists Of Dissent [Live With Full Force 2008]
02. Now I Lay Thee Down [Live With Full Force 2008]
03. Halo [Live With Full Force 2008]
04. Aesthetics Of Hate [Live Rock In Rio 2008]
05. Davidian [Live Rock In Rio 2008]
06. Imperium [Live Download 2007]
07. Old [Live Download 2007]
08. A Thousand Lies [Live Burn My Eyes 10th Anniversary 2004]
09. The Rage To Overcome [Live Burn My Eyes 10th Anniversary 2004]
10. Death Church [Live Burn My Eyes 10th Anniversary 2004]
11. Blood For Blood [Live Burn My Eyes 10th Anniversary 2004]
+ Halo [video]
+ Now I Lay Thee Down [video]
+ Aesthetics Of Hate [video]
+ Making Of Feature For Each Video

Who said Thrash was on its way out? From the first listen, the first riff of 'Clenching The Fists Of Dissent', you could tell that this was not so. Since Machine Head's début, 'Burn My Eyes' in 1994, they have done what they do best. Playing top-notch Thrash Metal. And their latest effort 'The Blackening' is definitely their best release so far.

The Blackening has all the elements for a great record; awesome thrash-orientated riffs, brilliant solos, catchy melodies, choruses that will stick in your mind for days (no, it's not a bad thing), diversity, and Rob Flynn's brilliant vocals. The album has eight perfectly written songs, with several clocking in at almost 10 minutes. However, these ten minutes are filled with diversity; from acoustic interludes to mid tempo metal to all out thrash. 'The Blackening' has it all. The guitar work on the album is first-class. The riffs are heavy and fast, and never stop for the entirety of the album. The only thing that stops this Machine Head monstrosity is the acoustic interludes, which are chucked in here and there to add to the diversity of the album. The solos in the album are brilliant, melodic, fast, catchy, and will make you air guitar like you never have before.

Rob Flynn's job on vocals is filled with anger aimed at politics, including Bush and Iraq, as we can see in 'Clenching The Fists of Dissent', "Sing revolution's song, when they say die, die for America". His thrash vocals, as well as the change to clean vocals on certain tracks, are absolutely spot on the mark, and add to the total ferociousness of the album.

The Blackening is quite complex, and listeners will appreciate the depth that Machine Head has created in the album more and more with each listen. This is a must have album in any good metal collection.

Highlights: 'Clenching The Fists Of Dissent', 'Aesthetics Of Hate', 'Now I Lay Thee Down', and 'Halo'.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written by BurbotsRevenge | 27.11.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
ProjectEndgame
Rating:
I absolutely hate hearing people say that whenever they hear an awesome album, they think it's the greatest thing ever to come since sliced bread, and the fact the people consider something perfect is complete crap. This is what bothers me the most about Machine Head and The Blackening: it may very well be the greatest thrash album ever created in this generation (meaning the 2000s only of course).

Read more ››
published 12.11.2010 | Comments (10)

Guest review by
AndMetalForAll
Rating:
Finally... Machine Head released an album in 2007 after four years of absence. Although not one of the biggest metal bands of the last 20 years (at that time), The Blackening was one of the most expected albums by all the fans or non-fans of the band. In my opinion, most of the fans wanted to see the direction the band was going to take. Machine Head had different styles through the years since their formation. In the entire album, one thing I have to say and honor is the outstanding performance of the band but mainly by Rob Flynn, finally he got a grip on his life, learned how to play guitar really well (before he almost never made a solo, in this album he makes solos in most of the songs), changed his life and that reflects in the entire album and his performance.

Read more ››
published 02.12.2011 | Comments (3)

Comments

Comments: 43   Visited by: 303 users
27.11.2007 - 23:08
Rating: 10
Bash'
:)
Nice review! I am not into Machine Head, but seems like you'll make me try them, the review is so enthusiastic really

Hope I like it like you.. Thank you!
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
30.11.2007 - 06:59
Rating: 3
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Lol, good luck EverDreaM, I wouldn't put any money on it.

I'm sorry to say this review reads like a typical "well-written" magazine hype machine - take that as a good thing or a bad thing. I hate the band and feel this album is overrated as fuck, "these ten minutes are filled with diversity" makes me turn in my above-ground grave
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
30.11.2007 - 07:07
Rating: 5
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I agree with Syk. This album sounds like the record label wrote it.
30.11.2007 - 08:00
Baz Anderson
Staff
indeed, this album is not interesting, not engaging, just generally not good
the songs are so typical, it is so manufactured to be a popular "thrash" album with all them stupid clean vocal choruses and cringeworthy acoustic type moments
this band just writes the music that is popular of the time - you saw it with "The Burning Red" and you saw it here as well, just obviously what is commercial and sells has changed a little since then

very average, if that
30.11.2007 - 09:02
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
@last three posters: really? i thought it was a great record, but that is my opinion, and ur entitled to have yours but i generally loved the album ah well, people have different tastes...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
01.12.2007 - 20:54
Bash'
:)
Okay I am back, spent last somedays lsning to this album [downloaded not bought, here there is no selling originals.. nevermind..], I can say Halo was my fav. song, specially after the main riff ends and calm down, I won't pray for you I won't pray for you I won't pray for you... you close your eyes & they start with a plural clean vocals singing, that is just amazing & moving..

Also, I liked Aesthetics Of Hate, those were my top fav. tracks & I see it is indeed a great release, I am going to try their other stuff [BurbotsRevenge thanks you introduced the band to me at by the shoutbox]
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
03.12.2007 - 14:13
Rating: 8
suberatu
I liked the album as well. I didn't think it was the greatest thing I've ever heard (nor did I think it was as 'perfect' as the review called it), but I enjoyed listening to it.
22.12.2007 - 13:23
dunkin91
Account deleted
I think the review is a good one..The album is fucking mad!! I can understanc how a lot of people hate mahcine head because of the shit phase they went through...but I disagree that they are writing music that is popular at the time any more..When was the last thrash album as good as this?? Not since the 90s at least.
22.12.2007 - 13:57
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Maybe I should get this.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
24.12.2007 - 01:50
Rating: 3
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Guest on 22.12.2007 at 13:23
When was the last thrash album as good as this?? Not since the 90s at least.
Exodus' 2004 release was a million times better than this, as was Mastery's album from last year and Municipal Waste from the year before
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
24.12.2007 - 02:26
Rating: 9
Sonic MrSumo
This is by far and away Machine Head's best offering. It's like they're a different band...songs are a lot more complex and well structured.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
26.12.2007 - 12:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

I think the review is a good one..The album is fucking mad!! I can understanc how a lot of people hate mahcine head because of the shit phase they went through...but I disagree that they are writing music that is popular at the time any more..When was the last thrash album as good as this?? Not since the 90s at least.

Death Angel - The Art Of Dying
Exodus - Tempo Of The Damned
Onslaught - Killing Peace
Municipal Waste - The Art Of Partying

Need I go on?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.01.2008 - 13:43
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Well this a very melodic album, some riffs are even Arch Enemy-like just take "Clenching The Fists Of Dissent" as an example. I see that they took a lot from whats being done in metal melodic wise.
I love the lyrics on this album and the variations within the songs, it has a lot to offer, I think the songs are tight. Its a fun album and I'm excited to know how they work it live later this year when they play here.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.02.2008 - 14:15
cockpuncher
Account deleted
I downloaded this out of curiosity, and honestly couldn't listen to the whole album without skipping through the tracks. I gave up after the forth or fifth attempted listening.

Maybe they tried to be "epic" with the longer songs, but to me it just came across as boring as fuck.

Plus, the whole thing just reeks of Trivium. This is not a good thing.
04.02.2008 - 20:16
RockeRoy
this album is so fucking good!!
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
09.02.2008 - 20:18
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
I don't know what everyones talking about. How is this album boring. My one problem with this album is that it takes its time building up to its great and meaty thrash riffs. The fact that "clenching the fist of Dissident" is 10 minutes long, mostly of the heavy parts, is a great thing. I'll admit i'm listening to it right now, and have gotten half way through but so far so great.
25.03.2008 - 03:46
jaeger
Account deleted
It's been a long time since I haven't enjoyed a Machine Head album. The Blackening is definitely their best release since Burn my Eye. Some songs may be boring like 'Beautiful Mourning' -sounds like a Supercharger song with Burning Red-like clean vocals- but as BurbotsRevenge said 'Clenching The Fists Of Dissent', 'Aesthetics Of Hate', and 'Halo' are pretty good tracks.
02.04.2008 - 06:31
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Syk on 24.12.2007 at 01:50

When was the last thrash album as good as this?? Not since the 90s at least.
Exodus' 2004 release was a million times better than this, as was Mastery's album from last year and Municipal Waste from the year before

Anything The Waste touches is better than this. I think it was Pyro who said, sounds like the record label wrote it. That was the first thing I thought too. The magazine have been over hyping this too unfortunately.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.04.2008 - 05:34
Sulvrot
I find all of these negative opinions interesting, as I genuinely enjoyed the album. It should not be compared to the works of bands like Exodus, imo, as it is not pure thrash. I agree that their entire mid-period was sellout trash, but don't let that sway your opinion; look at this album only, not the band's entire catalog. Also, I have no qualms with the songs' length; they are long, but I never felt bored listening to them. Then again, I'm also a fan of funeral doom, which would probably bore many pure thrash fans to death. As long as you don't expect a straight-up thrash record, I don't see much reason to hate this album with as much vehemence as I have seen directed towards it. I think this album genuinely deserves the vote of 9 out of 10 that I gave it.
23.11.2008 - 15:10
BornOfWilderness
Account deleted
One: I like the album BUT Two: That is an overrating!

There are some very enjoyable moments on this album, but they are surpressed by the far more medicore ones.
Total bashing of The Blakcening is really not true in my opinion, but it's not nearly as good as Trough the Ashes of the Empires to me.

Shure commerciality appears, but it doesn't take over the wheel, to me it seems that they tried to have the ultimate blend of thrash prog and something else but the ideas crumble to a little bit boring mix in the end.
23.01.2009 - 14:34
Rating: 7
Morphis
This review is definitely overrating, for me this one sounded like an average trash/heavy metal album similar to the last one but a little bit worse (6.4).
30.05.2009 - 20:45
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Normal album. Can't understand the 9.3, it's not that complex, for me it was a bit of a dissappointment.

And the 9 or 10 minutes songs didn't help at all.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
11.06.2009 - 12:49
terrorist
I think this album is their best.I liked long songs,sound is great and of course solos are amazing.They did a lot of progress on this one.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
11.06.2009 - 14:52
brapp32
Municipal Waste is garbage. The same goes for the other bands mentioned above. I'm not even a big fan of the blackening but it destroys municipal waste. I didn't even stay to watch lamb of god at the new England metal festival because I didn't want to suffer through their set.
17.06.2009 - 07:43
terrorist
Best album definitely.They made such a progress on this one.10 for me.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
20.10.2009 - 18:42
Novas
That review it from thier website
04.12.2009 - 10:37
Kwis
Seriously good album
16.01.2010 - 17:09
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.12.2007 at 12:56

Death Angel - The Art Of Dying
Exodus - Tempo Of The Damned
Onslaught - Killing Peace
Municipal Waste - The Art Of Partying

Need I go on?

Kreator-Enemy of God
Sodom-Sodom
Revocation-Empire Of the Obscene
01.02.2010 - 22:45
thewall30
Sounds like an amazing album, I might pick this one up...
----
30.03.2010 - 10:45
Awesome? really the review is a little bit over the top, probably 8.3 out of 10 but giving this album 9.3 seriously is this better then headbanging classics like Kreator Pleasure to kill, Slayer show no mercy, Celtic frost to Mega therion, Overkill Under the influence i don't think so but i do have this album and yes its worth buying. Machine head are one of the leading bands around at the moment

Hits total: 9116 | This month: 18