02. Beyond The Apocalypse
03. Aiwass Aeon
04. Necronatalenheten
05. Perished In Pain
06. Singer Of Strange Songs
07. Blood Is The Mortar
08. Internal Winter
09. The Blade

Chapter II from the new speed masters of Norwegian Black Metal, which is exactly what this album will show you. With their second full length album, they have progressed somewhat past the obscurities of standard Black Metal and added some new things to their sound, such as a very haunting sound of Slayer-esque riffing and a solo on the Track - Internal Winter. The solo isn't half bad either, it reminded me of the opening solo from Captor Of Sin by Slayer, which was very intense and very high noted, nothing like 1349 has done before. Added also into this album was more of an outro song, it has vocals in it, but it combines a more lasting effect of being an atmospheric track then being an actual song.

The album opens up with Chasing Dragons, which of course Frost's grade A drumming is present and pounding away, this time with more of a redefined sound to it, but the same signature drum rolls, cymbal usage, and blast beats. Nothing beats a top notch drummer, in my opinion that is. Chasing Dragons is a surprisingly six and a half minutes long, very long for a very fast and drum oriented song. As you hear in this song, the riffing has progressed and gotten a lot better, there is more sound then the average power chords used. For the most part, this album is very good, if not better then their last attempt at making speed inspired black metal.

The bad part of this album? Its not generic as the last one, but its somewhat of the same thing over and over, except for the last few songs, which are a bit slower and add in a more touch of maturity that wasn't present with their first album.

Over all, I give this album an 8.5 out of 10, its better then Liberation, but not excellent.

Written by Prugor | 02.06.2004

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 63 users
06.06.2006 - 18:30
Rating: 10
Ziom

It's an excellent album, which combines dirt, chaos and rawness of a true black metal with addition of really good riffs and excellent drums (it's Frost after all).
14.06.2006 - 19:23
Basso
Account deleted
I think this album rules ^^ The best 1349 has ever spawned through the plague atleast. And the song "Singer of Strange Songs" is just so fuckin amazing.
07.07.2006 - 11:34
Throne of Rats

I agree. IMO Beyond the Apocalypse is by far the best album. I own also Liberation and Hellfire which are good albums but they both lack something. On the other hand BTA is a fantastic album which has speed and technicality with recording that gives the perfect feel.

matt
----
Burning Crosses, Invoke the Powers, Rape the Crown, Hell Awaits!!
21.07.2006 - 07:46
Rating: 7
Megadeth88

Beyond The Apocalypse is my favorite album/song. Though I do own Liberation, and Hellfire I feel like this album has more rawness to it than Liberation, and Hellfire.
07.03.2007 - 22:36
Empty Spaces
Unburied At Dusk
Great album!! Most aggressive album I've ever heard in black metal...
19.09.2009 - 19:51
Rating: 8
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
You're right, nothing does beat a top notch drummer. Frost MURDERED "Blood is The Mortar". MURDERED it i say.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.

Hits total: 6174 | This month: 7