Metal Storm logo
Sabaton

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 06.06.2006 - 20:42
I am not sure how many people know Sabaton, but people that went to see Edguy and Dragonforce on their last tour should have seen them open the show.

Sabaton are a traditional heavy/power metal band from Sweden and I think are very good indeed!
On their site, they just have one album listed - 'Primo Victoria' from 2005
but they have recorded other albums that were ignored because they thought they weren't very good or whatever - but there is an album 'Fist For Fight' which is like a compilation of early songs which I think is rather good too.

They are a couple of months away from releasing another album 'Attero Dominatus' which I cant wait to hear.

I hope if there is anyone that doesnt know them reading this - they will listen to a few tracks or something and hopefully get into them.
I think they are going to stick around for a bit - I hope they will anyway.

So tell me what you think of the band and anything else you want to say - news on the new album, anything.
Thanks!
13.08.2008 - 23:17
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i find them great especially because of their lyrics which i find original enough...or i dont know many other bands singing constantly about real historical events and battles
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

16.08.2008 - 21:31
albatros
Written by Jason W. on 13.08.2008 at 03:30

... The lyrics are pretty epic, but not particularly intellectual or original unfortunately. The vocals are inspired but the lack of killer guitar riffs to balance out all the symphonic parts really hurts the CD as a whole. ...

I can understand, how you came to this opinion, but when I'm driving to work in the small hours of the night I need something to raise my spirits and not food for my intellectual abilities. If there are any at all, that is. There are times when I wish for a newspaper in handy format and with large letters and there are times when I wish for simple, but powerful and effective music to get me going the same way coffee does.
I finally got "The Art Of War" today, after a lengthy search. Their distributor hasn't done an impressive job here in Germany. I finally got it in a small town where only few metalheads live, so nobody was interested in the only sample that was available.
18.08.2008 - 07:57
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Written by albatros on 16.08.2008 at 21:31

I can understand, how you came to this opinion, but when I'm driving to work in the small hours of the night I need something to raise my spirits and not food for my intellectual abilities. If there are any at all, that is. There are times when I wish for a newspaper in handy format and with large letters and there are times when I wish for simple, but powerful and effective music to get me going the same way coffee does.
I finally got "The Art Of War" today, after a lengthy search. Their distributor hasn't done an impressive job here in Germany. I finally got it in a small town where only few metalheads live, so nobody was interested in the only sample that was available.

Yes you are right - I am often very hard on this type of music in general Perhaps I should listen to it next during a great night out with friends. There seems to be a good response for the band's latest here - I've actually had not one but two random metalheads ask me if I'd heard the new CD. So, maybe I just haven't found the right place to listen to it. I do enjoy it, I just think the style is so old that only perfection jumps out at me anymore with this type of music I will try again though!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
18.08.2008 - 22:38
Bas
Retired Staff
elite
Written by Jason W. on 13.08.2008 at 03:30

Okay I was not familiar with this band until a week ago... so my opinions are only based on the latest album, but they definitely seem like a band that would be great live, but on CD they get a little tiring. The lyrics are pretty epic, but not particularly intellectual or original unfortunately. The vocals are inspired but the lack of killer guitar riffs to balance out all the symphonic parts really hurts the CD as a whole. Good listen though and I'd check them out live for sure...

from the samples i heard from their newest album i thought it was absolutely horrible because like you say; too much symphonics instead of killer riffs, but dude, you seriously have to check out their debut "primo victoria", you'll love it
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
05.02.2009 - 15:23
madgarry
Account deleted
Great band
09.02.2009 - 06:50
romerovan
Account deleted
Wow i did not know this band exist, they seem to be very good!
27.07.2009 - 23:09
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Wow...took me ages to realize how glorious are songs "Metal Machine" and "Metal Crüe"...i liked the sound from the first listening, but never looked on lyrics until recent days...it is so genius! to make lyrics from the great metal song's (Machine) and metal band's (Crüe) names

Metal Machine

I have a phobia
A fear of the dark
Afraid to shoot strangers
The animal talks

Guns scare me shitless
But love gun's my friend

The sentinel's coming
But is this the end

Riding on this crazy train
I'm going paranoid
Watch me lose my mind
And break the law

I'm a metal machine
It's close to midnight and
He's barking at the moon
I'm a metal machine
the rainbow in the dark is shining

I'm only metal machine
He's barking at the moon
I'm a metal machine
The kings of metal ride the sky

Is this st. anger
The ultimate sin
Or have I really
A black knight within

The gates of Babylon
Are open and wide
Shout at the devil
There's nowhere to hide

Fighting for the world to keep
The wild child in it's cage
Broke my metal heart
Against the wall

I'm a metal machine
He's barking at the moon
I'm only metal machine
the rainbow in the dark is shining
I'm a metal machine
He's barking at the moon
Come touch my metal machine
The kings of metal ride the sky

Metal Crüe

Take some venom and accept
That you won't see nazareth
The rainbow leads you home

Warrior sent to milky way
Ufo shooting gamma ray
A riot of destruction

Watch the rockbitch go down, vixen spread

When the priest killed a maiden in the metal church
Armored saints and warlocks watched the slaughter
Rage of the slayer forced the pretty maids
To kiss the queen in crimson glory

You were born a motorhead
Bike's in flames you race ahead
You do the kansas rush

Racing with the motley crew
Annihilator chasing you
With guns and burning roses

Status quo has been reached, wasps unleashed

Take a skyride with me, then you'll see

it is just fantastic !!!
----

30.09.2009 - 19:45
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Lol this band is so cheesy and epic, it's actually pretty close to Rhapsody in this respect. on the cd they aren't really very interesting imo but live i'm pretty sure they are quite enjoyable.
30.09.2009 - 21:59
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
If you call this cheesy, i wonder what you dont...
----

01.10.2009 - 00:13
Angel Of Mercy
They are awesome. Apparantly they give a kick ass live show. Shame I have to wait till december before I see them.
----
Your time will come.
02.10.2009 - 09:45
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ellrohir on 30.09.2009 at 21:59

If you call this cheesy, i wonder what you dont...

don't make me quote them again

Into the motherland the German army march
Comrades stand side by side to stop the Nazi charge
Panzers on Russian soil a thunder in the east
One million men at war
Soviet wrath unleashed!

Thousands of feet march to the beat
It's an army on the march - shit i thought that was a millipede you were talking about!

Burned my crosses, make way for science
Christ will only cause death and violence
Burned my crosses and made way for myself
In mother earth I trust. - apart from Mercyful Fate these are the simplest/cheesiest serious(so Venom doesn't count) anti-christian lyrics i've ever seen.

it's not just the lyrics, but also the totally over the top and dramatic way they are sung, reminds me of Bal-Sagoth(check them out if you dig Sabaton's vocals)

i totally dig songs dealing with war, but Sabaton's have simplistic lyrics and cheesy vocals. the riffs are pretty good though. the best comparison in my head between mediocre war songs and excellent war songs would be between The Price of a Mile and Iron Maiden's Paschendale.
02.10.2009 - 12:39
Warman
Erotic Stains
Of course they are cheesy and the songs sound the same. I still like them for some reason.
----
02.10.2009 - 14:20
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I just wondered what Valentin needs, if this isnt good enough for him...
----

19.11.2009 - 15:14
Angel Of Mercy
I love sabaton, just discovered them from knowing they were supporting DragonForce on thier "Hearts N Minds" tour. The art of war is one fantastic album
----
Your time will come.
02.12.2009 - 20:14
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Angel Of Mercy on 19.11.2009 at 15:14

The art of war is one fantastic album

it is indeed, but i would even say it isnt their best ever...Primo Victoria is imo
----

02.12.2009 - 23:39
Angel Of Mercy
Primo Victoria is great.

How do we as Sabaton fans feel about them being on Nuclear Blast?
----
Your time will come.
03.12.2009 - 01:11
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
We would wait what tomorrow is going to bring us...
----

03.12.2009 - 14:30
Angel Of Mercy
Aye, I hope they bring us another quality album, like the last few where.
----
Your time will come.
08.12.2009 - 22:42
GT
Coffee!!
staff
I honestly don't care what label they're on as long as they keep making good and entertaining music and tour once in a while
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
09.12.2009 - 14:22
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
But with some labels it is more likely this could turn into a slight problem...
----

11.01.2010 - 08:33
Aushorj
It was a really nice surprise to actually get 'The Art Of War' in the mail, play it and found it was so great. It has some filler songs, but overall it is a really epic album. I went on a search streak to find their whole discography and man, I am a very happy metalhead. Primo Victoria is epic as hell, and Attero dominatus might be their weakest album, but it does have some memorable tunes.

Great, great band. Awesome vocals.
05.03.2010 - 18:25
Nardor
New song, love it!

05.03.2010 - 18:52
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
We are two
----

05.03.2010 - 19:28
JÄY
Metal slave
I love their war theme...gotta separate yourself from the pack and that was a great tactic!
05.03.2010 - 20:47
FeskarN
Love the song too! It will be good opener at their live shows for sure =)
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
05.03.2010 - 21:31
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by FeskarN on 05.03.2010 at 20:47

It will be good opener at their live shows for sure =)

i think the same, but they have more of those "kick-ass" songs...take Attero Dominatus for instance i cant decide which i want to hear more likely as the first one
----

05.03.2010 - 21:41
FeskarN
Written by Ellrohir on 05.03.2010 at 21:31

Written by FeskarN on 05.03.2010 at 20:47

It will be good opener at their live shows for sure =)

i think the same, but they have more of those "kick-ass" songs...take Attero Dominatus for instance i cant decide which i want to hear more likely as the first one

indeed, "Attero Dominatus" is a great opener. I would like them to start a gig with "Into The Fire", I love that song so much. The riffs and the melodies gives me shivers down my spine everytime I listen to it.
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
05.03.2010 - 21:45
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I think Into The Fire was second song i heard from them, after Primo Victoria
----

14.04.2010 - 11:55
Thor26
Quote:
Baz Anderson
I am not sure how many people know Sabaton, but people that went to see Edguy and Dragonforce on their last tour should have seen them open the show.

What a pity for those that haven't heard of them. And what a pity that they had to be Dragonforce's openers. It's gotta be the other way around.

My absolute 2nd favourite band!
----
With Odin on our side!
27.04.2010 - 17:19
Parazyd
Sabaton's awesome... I like their war type of songs.

EDIT: I can't wait for the new album to come!
----
Don't worry Cartman. There are no stupid answers, just stupid people.