Somewhere Out In Space
Heading For Tomorrow
Majestic
Insanity And Genius
Sigh No More

Total votes: 117
06.06.2006 - 20:55
Baz Anderson

I am a massive fan of Kai Hansen and Gamma Ray, it disappoints me some times how little Gamma Ray fans there seem to be compared to Blind Guadian or Edguy for example.
Kai Hansen is pretty much the 'godfather' of power metal - yet his band doesnt get much recognition, at least it doesnt seem to from here.
So seeing as there isnt a Gamma Ray thread yet, post any opinions you have of Gamma Ray in here as well.

But which is your favorite album? I always ask myself that question and I never get an answer.
'No World Order' 'Powerplant' Somewhere Out In Space' 'Insanity & Genius' and 'Heading For Tomorrow' are all favorites of mine!
I think 'Majestic' was definatly their weakest album though, which isnt a good sign. it is still a good album, but nothing compared to the rest.

'No World Order' as a very good consistency about it, but 'Powerplant' was the second Gamma Ray album i heard as well.
I loved the early Gamma Ray, maybe more then the current Gamma Ray - they had a more traditional heavy metal sound and Ralf Scheepers (now Primal Fear) was singing.
So if I have to pick one album for my favorite, I think it has to be 'Insanity And Genius' - which isnt an album I hear a lot about from other people - so it will be interesting to see where everyones elses votes go.
songs like 'No Return' and 'Last Before The Storm' are just fantastic though - just a read of the title gets the song in your head.

So let me know what you all think! Thanks!
10.06.2006 - 12:12
Dragonheart
Account deleted
For me, it boils down to Powerplant vs Somewhere Out In Space, and I'm going with the latter. It was my first Gamma Ray album, and it's got numerous killer songs (my favs being "Valley of the Kings", "Watcher In The Sky", "The Guardians Of Mankind" and "No Stranger"). Especially the first couple of songs are pretty fast and heavy for power metal standards and a proven method against feeling depressed

Powerplant is my second favourite with standout tracks like "Razorblade Sigh" and "Heavy Metal Universe". Next would be No World Order, though I've got to admit I haven't listened to it in ages. Land Of The Free starts out strong but lacks consistency, and I'm not too much into their older albums, though both the title track from Heading for Tomorrow and the ballad "The Silence" are great songs.
10.06.2006 - 13:17
wrathchild

Yeah, it's difficult to me to make a choice... I know I wouldn't vote for Insanity And Genius or Powerplant, and I haven't listened to Majestic yet.

I like Sigh No More a lot, but it's difficult to call it a 100% Gamma Ray album. However I think it's the less boring, I like every song featured on this album equally. And I love Uli's drumming, a lot more than Dan's.

As Dragonheart wrote, Land Of The Free is excellent at first but somehow manages to get boring by the end. Nevertheless, it ocntains some of the best Gamma Ray tracks.

Heading For Tomorrow was a disappointment, except for the title track which is truly excellent.
I don't really like the sapcy touch of Powerplant especially cause it doesn't bring anything new from Somewhere Out In Space, and is, I think, worse than the latter (which is very good). No World Order is a good album, but the track I prefer on the album is the intro... I'm a bit bothered by the weird feeling I have with some songs, cause to me, there are some that sound like they're a rip off of Judas Priest or Freedom Call (which is not surprising).

In the end, I guess my top 3 is:
Sigh No More
Land Of The Free
Somewhere Out In Space
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
11.06.2006 - 03:17
Baz Anderson

ha, yeh. Kai is such a massive Judas Priest fan though, i guess that is to be expected
especially on the latest album 'Majestic'

i have never really clicked so much with 'Land Of The Free' - i dont know why seeing as a lot of people before have said it was their favorite

wrathchild: haha, it doesnt even sound like you like Gamma Ray that much - or is that just how i interpreted everything
maybe that is why Gamma Ray doesnt seem to have as many fans as you would have thought - people might think they are boring and so un-original. i dont know
11.06.2006 - 07:00
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Wow tough choice between Land Of The Free and Powerplant here for me.... im going to go with Land Of The Free, i love the first song so much, and it has alot of other goodies on there.
Heading For Tomorrow and Somewhere Out in Space are 3rd and 4th.
Gamma Ray are awesome!
11.06.2006 - 18:27
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Gamma Ray is the result of hte work that kai made in helloween and iron saviour, so his music is very powerful and cannot compare with other band of today, the best harmony on two guitars are made by him and is something that nobody could copy or use as they do
11.06.2006 - 19:03
wrathchild

Written by Vinnie R. on 11.06.2006 at 18:27

Gamma Ray is the result of hte work that kai made in helloween and iron saviour, so his music is very powerful and cannot compare with other band of today, the best harmony on two guitars are made by him and is something that nobody could copy or use as they do

Sure, but this is off-topic... what is your favorite album then (and why)?
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
11.06.2006 - 23:56
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Written by wrathchild on 11.06.2006 at 19:03

Written by Vinnie R. on 11.06.2006 at 18:27

Sure, but this is off-topic... what is your favorite album then (and why)?

oh, i forget it...mmm...i think somewhere out in space because is a very progresive album, the use of eyboards and everything is related to an harmony very special that i can't feel in others albums, even withe the voise of ralf scheepers
15.06.2006 - 14:29
Baz Anderson

i am sure the last album with Ralf was 'Insanity And Genius' wasnt it?
Kai just took over from 'Land Of The Free' onwards
or have i just taught myself a load of rubbish? haha
03.07.2006 - 23:00
Milan
Account deleted
My favourite albums are:
1.Land Of The Free
2.Somewhere Out In Space
3.No World Order

The worst albums I think are: Insanity And Genius, Sigh No More and maybe Majestic. The others are cool. Rebellion In Dreamland and Heading for Tomorrow are definetly the best song.
06.07.2006 - 11:56
Baz Anderson

Milan: 'Insanity And Genius' and 'Sigh No More' are fantastic albums! maybe you should give them another go and listen to them a good numbner of times. they are worth getting into, 'Insanity And Genius' is probably one of my favorites

'Majestic' is kind of boring though which is a shame i just hope the next one will spring up a bit
09.07.2006 - 22:04
F1R3PR00F
Account deleted
They're all good releases, but I prefer Powerplant over the rest because of the high energy they have put into it. Every song is a feel good song, I just love that album. One of my favorite metal bands, I definitely appreciate.
14.07.2006 - 09:18
BORT

1) Land of the Free
2) Majestic ----> There is nothing wrong with this album give it another chance guys
3) No World Order
4) Insanity And genius
5) Somewhere Out In Space
6) Powerplant
7) Heading For Tomorrow
8) Sigh No more
14.07.2006 - 12:08
Baz Anderson

haha, you are like the other way 'round to me
your 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 are my top ones

i havent given 'Majestic' a lot of time, Gamma Ray are one of my all time favorite bands - i tried to make myself like it like i do the othes but it just seems a bit too un-original and plain to me
maybe you should give their other ones some more time. especially 'Somewhere Out In Space' Powerplant' and 'Heading For Tomorrow' - i think they are some of the best
07.08.2006 - 02:35
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Gamma Ray is a great band,and Kai Hansen is no doubt a great man,a living legend.I voted for Land of the Free,because it gave us that timeless classic "Rebellion in Dreamland" and that alone is worth voting for it. It also contains "Afterlife" the song written for Ingo Schwichtenberg (RIP). What a great album.
07.08.2006 - 23:18
Baz Anderson

i am actually really really surprised
i mean if i have to think which is my favorite Gamma Ray album, i think of like five of them - but i know 'Land Of The Free' isnt one of them. and that has a lot more votes then the others
also 'Heading For Tomorrow' would be in my top bunch and it has no votes
oh well
04.09.2006 - 11:56
Prowler84

They reached pure perfection with No World Order
----
Steve Harris isn't a God.God is a S.Harris!!
12.09.2006 - 15:35
Sethaios
Account deleted
Gamma Ray=legend imo....they have inspired so many bands and artists...and Kai Hansen is an 'enormous' artist...but you know all that!so....;Powerplant; all the way for me coz:it was my first Gamma Ray album and generally my first power album!BUT 6 years after that and after listening to it hundreds of times i insist its top.so fast so agressive and it sounds to me 'fresh' even now....
14.09.2006 - 00:21
peavy
Account deleted
Very hard for me to pick only one out but I finally went for "Insanity & Genius" since I absolutely love Ralf's voice!! I love 'em all though including Majestic!!!
14.09.2006 - 01:03
Baz Anderson

yay! i am so glad someone else has voted for that album! it is rather underrated in my opinion
its the last album with Ralf before Primal Fear as well - and they are also one of my top top bands
29.11.2006 - 06:22
Devil Child
Account deleted
I voted for Insanity And Genius. This album is more varied than their others works and I prefer Ralf on vocal more than Kai.
08.12.2006 - 15:47
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
hard to choose between Powerplant and No World order because have my favorites there but i think no world order is the best i find it more catchy
----
Stay Metal !!!
08.12.2006 - 23:26
Bitch Boy

Powerplant of course. I like the melody of the whole album, and it has my favorite Gamma Ray songs: "Anywhere in the galaxy", "It's a sin" and "Send my a sign".
09.12.2006 - 03:44
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
I just realised, i havent heard No World Order yet... yikes.

I think my favourite Gamma Ray song is Razorblade Sigh.
09.12.2006 - 14:37
eximius

Written by Prowler84 on 04.09.2006 at 11:56

They reached pure perfection with No World Order

jost love the songs Dethrone Tyranny and Heart Of The Unicorn
another vote from me to No World Order
02.01.2007 - 20:45
alkatraz
Account deleted
Allright Insanity And Genius was the album that I liked from the first to the last song(especialy 18 years and heal me), but on the other side is Majestic also an album that I like from the start to the end so it's difficult, but my vote goes to Majestic 'cause of Kai
11.01.2007 - 18:37
Zenzero
Zenzero
I like some gamma ray's album and hate insanity & genius!! but i think that the one I prefear is Majestic!!!
12.01.2007 - 00:39
APOHAKC
The Bard
First album I heard was Heading For Tomorrow so it will be always my favorite but after HFM album I think No World Order is a masterpiece, really great album, and KAI KICK ASS!
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
15.01.2007 - 10:21
Judas
The Amputator
I'd have to go with 'Land of the Free', it was the first Gamma Ray album I heard, and definitely the best still to my ears. I'm not saying the others are bad, I think they're fucking awesome as well, but this one holds a special place in my collection! 2nd best would be 'Sigh No More', and 'Powerplant' in 3rd (purely because of the song 'Send Me A Sign'!).
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
24.03.2007 - 04:03
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Somewhere Out In Space, because it's the first GAmmaRay album I heard, and it's themost dynamic IMO. Land Of The Free in 2nd.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!