Metal Storm logo
Gamma Ray: Favourite Album

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 06.06.2006 - 20:55
I am a massive fan of Kai Hansen and Gamma Ray, it disappoints me some times how little Gamma Ray fans there seem to be compared to Blind Guadian or Edguy for example.
Kai Hansen is pretty much the 'godfather' of power metal - yet his band doesnt get much recognition, at least it doesnt seem to from here.
So seeing as there isnt a Gamma Ray thread yet, post any opinions you have of Gamma Ray in here as well.

But which is your favorite album? I always ask myself that question and I never get an answer.
'No World Order' 'Powerplant' Somewhere Out In Space' 'Insanity & Genius' and 'Heading For Tomorrow' are all favorites of mine!
I think 'Majestic' was definatly their weakest album though, which isnt a good sign. it is still a good album, but nothing compared to the rest.

'No World Order' as a very good consistency about it, but 'Powerplant' was the second Gamma Ray album i heard as well.
I loved the early Gamma Ray, maybe more then the current Gamma Ray - they had a more traditional heavy metal sound and Ralf Scheepers (now Primal Fear) was singing.
So if I have to pick one album for my favorite, I think it has to be 'Insanity And Genius' - which isnt an album I hear a lot about from other people - so it will be interesting to see where everyones elses votes go.
songs like 'No Return' and 'Last Before The Storm' are just fantastic though - just a read of the title gets the song in your head.

So let me know what you all think! Thanks!

Poll

Which do you prefer?

Land Of The Free
No World Order
Powerplant
Somewhere Out In Space
Heading For Tomorrow
Majestic
Insanity And Genius
Sigh No More

Total votes: 117
27.03.2007 - 00:07
Robstar

For me New World Order , due to since track one, It makes you bang your head more than others GR albums , personally speaking.
I dont really like their newest stuff ...
----
Nothing is unreacheable
07.04.2007 - 21:28
Stratowarrior

yes new world order is the best from the start til it ends the best song lake of tears
----
power metal 'til death!!!!!!!!!
08.04.2007 - 16:18
Stalker
Lone wanderer
1. Land of the free
2. No world order
3. Powerplant

Those are the best GR albums, the rest arenthalf as good as any of these, I dont know, its like different band....
----
10.04.2007 - 16:19
Baz Anderson

like a different band??
'Somewhere Out In Space' and 'Powerplant' are almost identical...
14.04.2007 - 14:01
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
For me it's:

1) Insanity And Genius
2) No World Order
3) Land Of The Free
30.06.2007 - 00:59
Arcaliz666
Account deleted
Difficult election :

1. Land Of The Free
2. PowerPlant
3. Somewhere Out In Space
30.06.2007 - 16:41
Baz Anderson

I can't believe after 42 votes, no one voted for "Heading For Tomorrow" !!!!
that is one of my favourites.. I love the album..
30.06.2007 - 16:53
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Baz Anderson on 30.06.2007 at 16:41

I can't believe after 42 votes, no one voted for "Heading For Tomorrow" !!!!
that is one of my favourites.. I love the album..

I think it's because people who would have otherwise voted for that one have two (arguably) better albums with Ralf on vox to vote for instead ('Sigh No More' and 'Insanity & Genius'). I love that album as well, but I'd probably choose 'Insanity...' over it, from the Ralf era.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
30.06.2007 - 17:09
Baz Anderson

yeh - I probably do prefer "Insanity & Genius" but not "Sigh No More"
still though.. after so many votes I would have expected at least one!! its quite weird really.. it's a fantastic album
18.07.2007 - 02:18
Dark Tormentor
Account deleted
damn this is hard such good cd's from my favorite band
emmmm i dont know which to voe there is Majestic, Heading for Tomorrow, Somewhere out in Space, No world order and Powerplant its hard
24.07.2007 - 17:45
king of fools
Account deleted
For me it's

Heading For Tomorrow
Land Of The Free
No World Order
Powerplant
Somewhere Out In Space
24.07.2007 - 19:16
Baz Anderson

wooo!!! we have a vote for "Heading For Tomorrow"
thank you!! hahaha
26.07.2007 - 15:57
king of fools
Account deleted
Hey, you, hey you, hey you, hey, you, where do you go?
Heading for tomorrow
Hey, you, hey you, hey you, hey, you, where do you go?
Heading for my life

Hey, you, where do you go? - Heading for tomorrow
Hey, you, where do you go? - Heading for my life
Hey, you, where do you go? - Heading for tomorrow
Hey, you, where do you go!

Great song and a awesome album.
26.07.2007 - 16:15
APOHAKC
The Bard
I already voted, but each and everyone of you cheated, while I put just one album, although I wanted to put all of them, everyone putted at least three

1. Heading For Tomorrow
2. No World Order
3. Powerplant

HELL YEAH! GAMMA RAY RULE!
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
10.08.2007 - 07:18
selken
Irreligious
Powerplant is the best, second goes somewhere over the space
----
11.08.2007 - 03:58
In Chaos

No World order is the best Gamma Ray album i have ever heard. Powerplant is not so bad either.
11.08.2007 - 15:18
Knightrider
The Sorcerer
No World Order is my favorite.
12.10.2007 - 20:58
Mustis
Account deleted
Power Plant is the best, all albums are great but power plant has razorblade sigh and send me a sign, great power metal band, Kai Hansen for me is one of the best musicians in the world
14.10.2007 - 10:13
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
I decided that No World Order is their best every song is great it has the best lyrics of gamma ray especially the self titled track
----
Stay Metal !!!
17.10.2008 - 17:25
Yossarian

I like all insanity and genius tracks, so the oscar goes for it. There are some songs I do not like in the other ones.
19.10.2008 - 02:41
FerBenitez

Wings Of Destiny is a great song! and Powerplant is the best album
09.03.2009 - 14:04
nocolor666

I voted No World Order, but i dont like the last track.
----
车到山前必有路啊!!!
09.12.2009 - 02:21
DoomGuard

Cloooooooooooooooooose race between Powerplant and No World Order, two very good albums but had to go with Powerplant, just a personal favorite
Armageddon
09.12.2009 - 14:20
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I went for Powerplant too...Hand Of Fate, Armageddon, Anywhere In The Galaxy, Gardens Of The Sinner...great tracklist!

but my most favorite single song would probably be Hold Your Ground from their debut
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

09.12.2009 - 22:13
Angelic Storm
Melodious
For me, it just has to be ''Somewhere Out In Space"! It was a tough decision, as "Powerplant" and "No World Order" are pretty much flawless albums in that they both have absolutely no filler whatsoever. I just find that "Somewhere Out In Space" has a certain magic about it, while the other 2 are just very high quality metal albums. There's not a single moment of filler, and the Gamma Ray sound was at its peak on that album!

I also want to say, that the 3 albums with Ralf Scheepers on vocals don't get anywhere near enough credit. I even find "Sigh No More" to be quite underrated, even though I know some people don't like it. "Heading For Tomorrow" is an amazing album, and I'm sorry Kai, I love ya, but you just can't match Ralf's majestic performance on "The Silence"! "Insanity And Genius" has some awesome songs on it as well, espeically "Tribute To The Past", which is another song where Kai can't match up to Ralf's original commanding vocal performance. These 3 albums, especially the first and last albums, are very high quality, and deserve more credit from some Gamma Ray fans I think. And I'm the biggest Kai Hansen fan there is! hehe
17.12.2009 - 00:29
Baz Anderson

You're echoing my opinion exactly pretty much.
I need to go back and enjoy these guys again. One of my best live experiences EVER was the first time I ever saw Gamma Ray - on the 8th of January 2008 - which is also my birthday, and the day I turned 20.
21.05.2011 - 08:49
GroundZero

1. No World Order
2. Heading For Tomorrow
3. Somewhere Out In Space
4. Sign No More

I think "Land Of The Free" is an overrated album, I don't find it good
24.05.2011 - 01:26
erykk

Of course, Land of the Free, a masterpiece ¡hell yeah!
----
Open your eyes
29.06.2011 - 15:51
Aristarchos

Somewhere out in space has the best songs overall.
01.03.2012 - 19:33
Infernal Eternal

No Word Order is my fave. The other albums are good too.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter