02. For The Stabwounds In Our Backs
03. Where The Silent Gods Stand Guard
04. Versus The World
05. Across The Rainbow Bridge
06. Down The Slopes Of Death
07. Thousand Years Of Oppression
08. Bloodshed
09. ...And Soon The World Will Cease To Be

Sweden, birthplace of so many excellent Death Metal bands, especially Melodic Death, once again displays a major combo with Amon Amarth. I have to say that I was totally oblivious to the sole existence of that band before having a chance to discover this album. But as if the band was aware of this, they generously included a bonus disc with "Versus The World", which contains a best of their previous albums, and that album alone is praiseworthy. But let's not diverge from our major topic now, namely "Versus The World". The band has been around for quite some time now but this album is their huge breakthrough.

In a renewal of the Melodic Death sound alongside bands such as Darkane and In Flames, Amon Amarth plays what we could fancily call Brutal Melodic Death Metal. It may sound dense but it's what came to my mind from the first listen and the concept is not that stupid. Let's say Melodic Death with a convinced riff brutality, if you prefer. The drumming is absolutely remarkable, the recurrent use of bass drums is delicious.

From the spirited "Death In Fire' to the optimistic '?And Soon The World Would Cease To Be', this record presents very interesting musical elements with a different view. I'm almost tempted to state that it's refreshing. These guys know how to blast and they do it well. It came to my knowledge as a total surprise and never vanished of my mind since, a sign of utmost quality. The diversity displayed in the album is definitely a great plus as 'Across The Rainbow Bridge' doesn't sound like any other song, and it's pretty much true for each track on the CD, although there are a few exceptions.

The production is huge, the packaging absolutely gorgeous and even more important their music stays crafted in one's mind over the listens. No one can stay icy cold while hearing 'Death In Fire' and that's the force of Amon Amarth: melting the opposition with [musical] strength. Now, on the downside, as Deadsoulman pointed out in his own review, the lyrics are somewhat bringing shame to the whole thing. Northern Gods, Odin and the likes, going to battle? Not really Shakespearean if you know what I mean.

As for the bonus disc, it contains some memorable songs despite of being recorded with a lower production. The opening track 'Siegreicher Marsch' has to be one of the most complex Melodic Death compositions ever and nonetheless so catchy. Mostly, the reminder varies from traditional Death to Black influenced Death, I guess in the early years of the band.

In my opinion, "Versus The World" has the class needed to be considered as one of the bests of 2002. The addition of a bonus disc is not to displeased the listener, and in the whole, Amon Amarth's latest effort deserves its rating even though I have the feeling that this band could do better. Unite with them against the world, I have already join their ranks.

Written on 11.08.2004 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 212 users
04.12.2007 - 09:24
Rating: 10
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
good review, and you said they could 'probably do better' - With Oden on Our Side is the answer i think it (Oden) takes this album in particular to a new level, good album nonehteless, one of my fav AA albums
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
27.11.2008 - 14:44
Rating: 7
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Not their best but a good album
11.02.2009 - 13:45
Rating: 9
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Great album and good review! Bloodshed kicks ass!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
11.02.2009 - 15:04
Abattoir

Well I'll say straight, that With Oden On Our Side is an amazing album, but for me it doesn't beat this one. Yeap, like I said. The start with Death In Fire and For Stabwounds... is just amazing, it couldn't be better. All the other songs are also on the level, while the end with song ...And The World Will Cease To Be is perfect.
10.04.2009 - 08:16
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
''...the lyrics are somewhat bringing shame to the whole thing...'' That's very true.

''I've lived a life or prosperity
But I'm not as young as I used to be
Down the road waits misery
Why cannot death just set me free!''

Some parts are just lame . But still that's a nice album, remarkably heavier than all others, but still with melodic and catchy parts that remember us what band we are listening. The three first tracks are my favorites. The production is only ok.

As for the bonus cd, the german version (i think ) of Victorious March is pretty good, some other songs looks like demo versions of the songs from the EP ''Sorrow Throughout The Nine Worlds''.. and some other really demo songs that i didnt like.

Overall, i guess the rate 7.5 would be fair for the disc1, the bonus are most for fans than anybody else.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
17.04.2011 - 19:56
JeffreyAgente
Account deleted
Good review! I rated with an 9... this album is so amazing!
Down The Slopes Of Death- The best song of the album, althought it don't change much the speed, is so awesome! Listening to this song makes me think someting like this:

02.12.2015 - 12:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Cant compare In Flames whit this there are nothing alike .. even In Flames would be lost totaly if keep on playing metal, they had no talent at all or motivations
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 8443 | This month: 17