Metal Storm logo
Angra

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 06.06.2006 - 21:24
We now have ourselves an Angra thread. woo!
So yeh. It actually took me a while to get into Angra as much as I am now, I didnt bother looking into them properly for a long time. But I am very glad I did now.

I started with their first album, 'Angels Cry' and after a couple of listens I loved it, so then I got 'Temple Of Shadows' and I didnt quite love it so much and so my Angra exploration ended there for a few months after listening to 'Holy Land' and not thinking much either.

Then not all that long ago from now, I listened to 'Temple Of Shadows' and wow! hahahaha
I cannot believe I didnt love it the first time I heard it.
I think 'Temple Of Shadows' is one of the best power metal albums of all time now!

So then I ended up getting all Angra albums and giving them all lots of attention and all the rest of it.
My 'Angels Cry' is the french special edition that has the bonus disc with three acoustic live tracks on it - and the book is signed by all the members of the band (in 1996) which was an extra bonus while buying the CD.

So then you have got to ask the question 'which Angra do you like best?' - the Angra that made the first three albums, or the one that made the last two.
It is a very hard quesion because I love all their albums (even 'Fireworks')
'Angels Cry' and 'Holy Land' are really special albums, but I think I prefer the extra 'pomp' of the new Angra
'Temple Of Shadows' is really fantastic and 'Rebirth' is a good albums too. 'Nova Era' has been in my head for days and days before.

So what do you all think of the band, the band before the big change and the current band - and which do you like best?
also any thoughts on favorite album or anything else are welcome!
Thanks!
31.08.2006 - 12:29
GT
Coffee!!
Ohh a new album...sounds great. I too hope that it will be as good as 'Temple Of Shadows' 'cause that is one hell of an album
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
04.09.2006 - 00:17
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I cant wait for their new album and single.The album is entitled "Aurora Consurgens" and the single "The Course of Nature".Just the titles alone make my mouth water.I honestly cannot wait for these two.
04.09.2006 - 02:44
Baz Anderson

haha no, i cant either - especially after i listened to 'Angels Cry' a few hours ago adn looked through my (signed) book from them
04.09.2006 - 11:29
pajo
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 04.09.2006 at 02:44

haha no, i cant either - especially after i listened to 'Angels Cry' a few hours ago adn looked through my (signed) book from them

you have signed book?
how did you get it? :-O
04.09.2006 - 12:03
Baz Anderson

yeeeeees
its the book for 'Angels Cry' and i got it off the internet
i got the album, and it was the special limited edition one that was only released in France
it has a second CD with three live acoustic tracks on it, and the book had been signed as well
it wasnt expensive at all - i cant understand why they would have wanted to sell it but im glad!
05.09.2006 - 16:02
GT
Coffee!!
@ Baz Anderson: you lucky bastad People do weird things when they need money
----

05.09.2006 - 17:09
Baz Anderson

06.09.2006 - 13:54
pajo
Account deleted
to Baz:
Man you are so lucky! I envy you!

btw, when will be the single released?
C'mon guys hurry up!!!
06.09.2006 - 21:00
Baz Anderson

the single "is expected to be released as a "virtual single" later this month."
apparently..

haha it is just about the only thing that i have that anyone might envy apart from maybe a signed Sabaton album
at the end of this month i should be able to get my Savage Circus, Axel Rudi Pell and Primal Fear albums signed though because i am seeing them at bloodstock!! woo!
07.09.2006 - 09:50
pajo
Account deleted
haha I know that it will be released this month, but when?
this month will last another 23 days and I am so inpatient

I do not know sabathon. I will check them ;-)
What is it about?
07.09.2006 - 11:31
?Bodomchild?

Oh ! nice ! Angra thread...well... i heard Angra from long time ago...cuz i live very close of brazil...so yes all albums are great all Angra and new Angra...but in old angra they make masterpieces of power/symphonic metal like Carolina IV with Andre Matos on vocals...then they recorded Holy Live...ho contains songs of Reaching Horizons,Angels cry and Holy Land albums....then they make Fireworks...IMO the most heavy and break that melodic sound and Andrea Matos left the band with Marco Antunes and they recruit Edu Falaschi and Aquiles Priester so theres new blood to make a new album with new concept....and also Andre Matos is singind with Shaman.....and Born Rebirth a great power metal album so they make again a masterpiece like Carolina IV with songs like Nova Era or Running Alone....they recorded Rebirth World Tour - Live in Sao Paulo ho its a great live album like Holy Live...they make it again that sense of Angra its back with Temple of Shadows and im glad to see them here in Caracas i also have stuff signed by them
----
asd
07.09.2006 - 11:37
Baz Anderson

yees. the new stuff i think is a lot more power metally then the first three full lengths
i probably prefer them as well even though i love 'Angels Cry' and 'Holy Land'

pajo: yees, Sabaton are a great heavy metal/power metal band from Sweden
they are well worth getting into. the arent anything like Angra though
26.09.2006 - 11:56
pajo
Account deleted
Hey guys!!!
Have you heard the new single?
I am quite surprised... It is more heavy and completely different than any other Angra stuff. After few hearings I love it
Amazing guitar solo and that brazilian "samba" drum rythm!!! I am waiting for album
26.09.2006 - 21:44
DreamStalker
Account deleted
Someone has already put the full album on the internet for download :\
But I think it is not complete, as there is missing a song and the intro for "The Course Of Nature"
Anyway, the single is very good. Lets wait for the album to be released, but I liked it.
27.09.2006 - 08:28
pajo
Account deleted
I have that album already... Sure I will be first to buy original copy when it comes to central europe, but I cannot wait for so long so I downloaded it
Its great! There are "classical" angra songs with some fresh ideas and few completely different ones. I like this album very much
27.09.2006 - 18:49
GT
Coffee!!
@ pajo: hmm sounds very promising...always nice when a band try new things and they turn out good
----

27.09.2006 - 19:36
Baz Anderson

i listened to the single this morning and then another two times later on in the day
it does sound quite a bit like Dream Theater, but it clearly is still Angra
i quite liked it, it will be nice to hear something different and progressive so i have high hopes for the album now
04.10.2006 - 23:35
Kanon
Account deleted
I listened the album too , well 9 tracks , i think is a very nice work of angra, more Heavy and progressive than before , with a really nice ideas, i really miss the classical intros of angra like a Unfinished Allegro or Deus Le volt , anyways the album have a speed songs too, like a "the voice comanding you" my favorite song of the album. i think this is one of the Best albums of the year
06.10.2006 - 03:57
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Angra is definally the best Power metal band. Most PM bands get too old too fast, thats not Angra's case, cuz every album they but something different, and enjoyable
----
06.10.2006 - 11:27
Kanon
Account deleted
hell yeah, the Pm bands get old, but angra have a fresh sounds in every album, all albums had a special sounds, special songs and special moments, never sound bored
09.11.2006 - 22:11
Baz Anderson

ive finally got my hands on the new album today so i have already listened to it twice
the second time i was going through with the lyrics (thanks to this site) and i think its a brilliant album
it hasnt sunk in completley yet, but i think it has some 'gems' on it
i cant remember which songs stuck out for me, but most of the songs left a good impression with me after they had finished - so thats good!
i dont think it is much more progressive then 'Temple Of Shadows' at all - its just in a different sort of style. 'Temple Of Shadows' is more power metally - this one is, i dont know, its different but i wouldnt call it much more progressive then the last
21.11.2006 - 13:50
pajo
Account deleted
I think that ToS is power metal album with the progressive elements, but Aurora is progressive album with power metal elements

IMHO tremendous
10/10
22.11.2006 - 03:04
ReckoningWinter

I love Angra, one of my top favorites, and of course, I love Temple Of Shadows, nothing more to say.
22.11.2006 - 03:17
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
Angra is probably the only reason I like Brazil...Other than Mike in Brazil.
22.11.2006 - 04:32
Baz Anderson

would you not like Brazil if Angra didnt exist then?
22.11.2006 - 13:44
pajo
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 22.11.2006 at 04:32

would you not like Brazil if Angra didnt exist then?

Me either... If Angra did not exist I would probably do not mind Brazil.
Do you mind Algeria? But if some good metal band would be from Algeria I will love Algeria then
22.11.2006 - 17:17
the dark goddess
Account deleted
Great band! I would like to see them live.
22.11.2006 - 17:26
Lupas
Maximus
Written by Guest on 22.11.2006 at 17:17

IT is simple , just buy tickets and fly to brazil .
The problem is .........money
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
22.11.2006 - 17:31
the dark goddess
Account deleted
Written by Lupas on 22.11.2006 at 17:26

Written by Guest on 22.11.2006 at 17:17

IT is simple , just buy tickets and fly to brazil .
The problem is .........money

the money is not the problem, I don't have anyone that would be willing to go with me there just to watch a Metal band. I don't dare to go to brazil all alone.
28.12.2006 - 20:23
Baz Anderson

a magazine i was going through gave the new album 4 out of 10 - so that was kind of annoying because it really doesnt deserve a rating that low
i dont think it is as good as 'Temple Of Shadows' or 'Rebirth' from the new era - but it is still rather good
its grown on me a bit more i think, ive listened to it a lot. i would say it deserves more like 7 out of 10