Metal Storm logo
Angra

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 06.06.2006 - 21:24
We now have ourselves an Angra thread. woo!
So yeh. It actually took me a while to get into Angra as much as I am now, I didnt bother looking into them properly for a long time. But I am very glad I did now.

I started with their first album, 'Angels Cry' and after a couple of listens I loved it, so then I got 'Temple Of Shadows' and I didnt quite love it so much and so my Angra exploration ended there for a few months after listening to 'Holy Land' and not thinking much either.

Then not all that long ago from now, I listened to 'Temple Of Shadows' and wow! hahahaha
I cannot believe I didnt love it the first time I heard it.
I think 'Temple Of Shadows' is one of the best power metal albums of all time now!

So then I ended up getting all Angra albums and giving them all lots of attention and all the rest of it.
My 'Angels Cry' is the french special edition that has the bonus disc with three acoustic live tracks on it - and the book is signed by all the members of the band (in 1996) which was an extra bonus while buying the CD.

So then you have got to ask the question 'which Angra do you like best?' - the Angra that made the first three albums, or the one that made the last two.
It is a very hard quesion because I love all their albums (even 'Fireworks')
'Angels Cry' and 'Holy Land' are really special albums, but I think I prefer the extra 'pomp' of the new Angra
'Temple Of Shadows' is really fantastic and 'Rebirth' is a good albums too. 'Nova Era' has been in my head for days and days before.

So what do you all think of the band, the band before the big change and the current band - and which do you like best?
also any thoughts on favorite album or anything else are welcome!
Thanks!
18.03.2007 - 17:28
Empress
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqeA12Ea3wg

Drummer from Angra...great to watch
19.03.2007 - 04:40
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Angra is such a good band now days, but they were perfect in the pest. Not saing that the new Angra is bad, but I really think that they should change their name, because the new Angra (which I like a lot but like the old one better) doesnt have nothing to do with the old one, so whats the point in keeping the name? ???
----
22.03.2007 - 22:22
selken
Irreligious
My favourite Angra is the old one, it has more Power Metal Elements, I'm not saying the new Angra is bad, instead, this new song found in Temple Of Shadows and Aurora Consurgens introduced me to some kind of Progressive Metal, now, thanks to TOS I know Symphony X and Dream Theater...
Angra is one of the few Latin American bands who achieved great success in both America and Europe, even Japan. Their innovative sound includes Progressive, Symphonic, Melodic and Regional elements making them a very versatile.
Some songs of the band such as "Carry On", "Rebirh", "Nothing To Say" have been heard for the most of metalheads in the world of melodic metal and will remain as icons of the band.
Angra is just the best...
----
18.04.2007 - 05:31
Gilardina
i prefer new angra!! temple of shadows is one of the best albums ever!! eventhough matos is a great musician and he was able to mix completely different rythms that none could do before, i believe new angra is more mature, they have new influences and you can see them in the aurora consurgens( an extrange album, lol). i think their new albums are complexer.
but anyway, angra rulz!!!:banger:
----
and remember, as much as it seems to be real, is all in your mind...
21.04.2007 - 00:43
I'm gonna have to agree wih ms ginata, rebirth and temple were much better than any of their old ones, if only because of the new lineup (especially the singer). Their current drummer is such a bad ass, and they remain distinctly power metal despite their variation in sound and influences, like their crazy jazzy latin bits.it just makes them that much more epic.
----
The rarer action is in virtue than in vengeance.
04.06.2007 - 04:29
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
I dont undertand why people hate Fireworks so much, its my fav album along with the Reaching Horizons Demo or EP cant remember

It has one of the best if not THE best guitar riffs in Heavy Metal, its as creative as it gets, altho the vocals arent that good (acctually I find it quite annoying after sometime) the album itself is just amazing, just listen to Extreme Dream, Gentle Change, Speed, Metal Icarus, well the whole album but Raning Nights lol

Also to those who likes the new Angra better:
Yeah it is a good band, and Temple of Shadow is one of the best albums ever
But there is only two problems with the new Angra:
1) Edu cant sing with as much emotion as Matos did
2) Edu cant sing live at all =P have you ever heard Carry on or Spread your Fire live with Edu? if not good, and keep that way please

I am looking forward to this new Shaman (now with only one "A" again lol) and they will perhaps replace Angra as my fav band =P (Matos still my fav vocalist no metter what!)
----
04.06.2007 - 08:55
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Written by thedreamwalker on 21.04.2007 at 00:43

I'm gonna have to agree wih ms ginata, rebirth and temple were much better than any of their old ones, if only because of the new lineup (especially the singer). Their current drummer is such a bad ass, and they remain distinctly power metal despite their variation in sound and influences, like their crazy jazzy latin bits.it just makes them that much more epic.

I have to agree with that statement. Temple of Shadows was awesome. A much improved band these days they hav a future still.
18.06.2007 - 20:56
Infurnace
I've lately gotten into Angra again, and they really are one of the greatest Prog/Power Metal bands out there. Eduardo is a great singer, with such great melody in his voice.
19.06.2007 - 03:28
Baz Anderson
Staff
it was quite a few months ago.. I listened to "Rebirth" and it suddenly just clicked with me
I had just dismissed is as being a 'good' album for so long - but all of a sudden I started to really really love this album
it really is top top stuff for me now..
19.06.2007 - 21:45
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Written by 4look4rd on 04.06.2007 at 04:29

2) Edu cant sing live at all =P have you ever heard Carry on or Spread your Fire live with Edu? if not good, and keep that way please

I am looking forward to this new Shaman (now with only one "A" again lol) and they will perhaps replace Angra as my fav band =P (Matos still my fav vocalist no metter what!)

Fireworks is just amazing, beautiful and one of the most important works, very progressive. And i'm agree with the Edu thing, he sucks singin' carry on or nothing to say and in his solo disc i only like a few songs. No doubt Matos was better in Angra, but i think the direction that the band took with Falaschi is in other way that matos simply couldn't take and that reflects in shaaman and Virgo (the other matos project with Sascha Paeth).
27.09.2007 - 22:36
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Finally had the chance (and the money) to buy 'Fireworks' and 'Hunters And Prey'. Damn 'Fireworks' is a great album. Only knew two tracks from it but all the others are great too
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
05.10.2007 - 07:04
Pianoman
Account deleted
Angra is still being a nice band but I think that they dont do good progressive music (aurora consurgens). The only good album from the new angra is temple of shadows and it doesnt have anything inovating is just a nice album. If i want to hear good progressive metal i hear to Dream Theater, Evergrey or Opeth but not Angra. Im listening now to the new album of Andre Matos and I have to say that he is a genious because hes is still doing great albums and inovating his sound. Yeah Rafael and Kiko can be amazing guitar players and good composers but Andre was the guy that made Angra. They should change their name in honor to the old fans that have followed Angra since Angels Cry.
11.10.2007 - 22:13
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
An audio interview with Kiko Loureiro is available for download in two parts on the following links: Part1 and Part2.
14.10.2007 - 05:31
Mustis
Account deleted
angraaa, they came to venezuela once, but i wasnt able to go because i had no money at that time, i spend it all in helloween. i love angra, in special rebirth and aurora consurgens, wish they come back here to be in the concert
15.10.2007 - 13:39
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
I Think old and new angra are very different Andre gave it a very different feeling like more melodic thatn technical but i still love new angra i believe Temple Of Shadows is the greates Spee Power metal album ever made
----
Stay Metal !!!
17.10.2007 - 19:18
Lord TJ
I've downloaded a hand full of songs by them:
Angels Cry
Speed
Live And Learn
Nova Era
Rebirth
Spread Your Fire
The Shadow Hunter
Running Alone
Metal Icarus

These are the songs that made this band one of my favorites. I just love the skills of Rafael and Kiko, Edu is an amazing vocalist as well! Though I don't think I can tell what songs have Edu and what songs have Andre.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
27.10.2007 - 18:19
Bsquared
Does anyone know what these guys are up to? Haven't heard from them in a real long time...
----
http://www.last.fm/user/Hobflop
16.11.2007 - 01:00
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Written by Bsquared on 27.10.2007 at 18:19

Does anyone know what these guys are up to? Haven't heard from them in a real long time...

Have you tried their homepage? Thats usually the best place to start.
25.11.2007 - 00:28
Oskmrgo83
Oskmrgo83
Temple of Shadows is a great album, Aurora Consurgens too... but Rebirth is the best album with Edu Falaschi on vocals.
----
Now it's time to... rock!!!!!
12.12.2007 - 20:58
Ascalon
I can say properly, that Angra it's my favourite band, I got all their discography, I've listen all their songs I can get, I've read a lot of theri lyrics.
And I can conclude that the old Angra (Reaching Horizons 92' - Fireworks 98') it was technically a perfect band, and Andre Matos an amazing creato and composer, but their problem was that hughe figure that Matos was, the same with Shaaman, they weren't a solid group beucause the presence of this dominant figure... and now the new Angra (Rebirth 99' - Aurora Consurgens 06') is a great band... maybe with some problems alive 'cause Falaschi it isn't such a good vocalist as Matos, but Priester in drums ... and Andreoli in bass they are great musicians ... so they've found an equilibrium that brigs to us SUCH A POWERFUL MUSIC !! ... So ... wich one is better ?? ... no one ... maybe Angra today it doesn't have the right or obligation to keep that name ... but the last 3 albums for me are pieces of art... much more progressive than power ... but good things... maybe Aurora Consugens... it isn't so good ... but ... Angels Cry wow !! ... such a great work ... now Angra is a solid band .. with similar works, not like the old one ... that Fireworks... is not a godd album ... just Speed it's a good song .. there ... I can't choose ... I cna explain what I think ... so ... for me Angra is one of the best bands in metal ...

"Follow your steps and you'll find ... the unknown ways are on your mind" ... that's a lesson for your life ...

I recommend... Never Understand, Carry On, Nova Era, Unhloy Wars, Running Alone, Speed, Winds of Destination and No Pain For The Dead ...

Liste to Angra ...
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
03.01.2008 - 19:05
Hellsing
What a Couple of guitar players!!! , Edu can not reach the high notes live that disapointed me a bit, but still they kick ass!!!
----
±M@u®î©îر
www.myspace.com/voidcr
www.myspace.com/strato_mauricio
20.01.2008 - 18:20
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Angra OWNZ too IMBA their only bad thing is that many ppl dont listen / dont know them really sad because ANGRA RULZZZZZZZZZ
20.01.2008 - 18:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Metalhead2 on 20.01.2008 at 18:20

Angra OWNZ too IMBA their only bad thing is that many ppl dont listen / dont know them really sad because ANGRA RULZZZZZZZZZ

What the ..... are IMBA?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.07.2008 - 07:08
Fhuesc
Someone has any info about what they are doing?, their page doesn't work and their myspace doesn't have any info. It has been almost 2 years since they release AC.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
21.07.2008 - 18:45
FOOCK Nam
I like their song Lisbon, that kind of attitude would cheer me
19.11.2008 - 04:14
Written by Vinnie R. on 19.06.2007 at 21:45

Written by 4look4rd on 04.06.2007 at 04:29

The reason he can't do those songs live is because he has a somewhat lower range than their old singer, and those songs were written in a key that is too high for him to sing. so i think he does pretty admirably considering. and not as much emotion? he's twice the badass matos will ever be.
----
The rarer action is in virtue than in vengeance.
06.01.2009 - 19:23
MeloDeathViking
I had heard about Angra a lot better never really looked into them until a little while ago. The first album I got from them was Temple of Shadows and WOW is all I can say about it. It's one of my favorite power metal albums. I now also own Rebirth and Aurora Consugens which I think are both great albums.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
29.03.2009 - 19:34
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Angra have updated their official MySpace page with a message about the next tour
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendId=108050538

Unfortunately, it seems that Aquiles Priester is no longer an active member of Angra.
I'd love to know the reasoning behind this as my favourite Angra releases have all featured him and his style contributed significantly to the perfection of these releases.
29.03.2009 - 19:54
Shadowcross
The Summoner
By the way, the reason why Edu Falaschi 'sucked' live in the previous tours before this is because he has suffered from acid reflux, if anyone doesn't know what this does, it effects the ability to use your throat correctly.
And any fans that actually own the Live In Sao Paulo dvd should know he could pull of the complex vocal passages up to Rebirth. The more complex vocal parts in Temple of Shadows became very difficult for him on subsequent tours, and the Aurora Consurgens vocals are noticeably 'dumbed down' compared to earlier releases.
I'm glad to hear Angra and Edu Falaschi are back in action!
29.03.2009 - 21:50
Fhuesc
Good news indeed, i thought they were done. Yeah!!!
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!