Release date: 2007

01. For The Memories Of My Past
02. Seven Burning Eyes
03. Illusions of Silence
04. A Funeral Sky
05. Absent
06. Terminal
07. The Aftermath

Insomnius Dei is the new project of Mark Kelson the leader of the really good band from Australia, The Eternal. Insomnius Dei is a lot more Doom then The Ethernal, the music of is this combo is really dark and slow, we're just in front of a nice mix of Doom/Death Metal and ambient music and really I hope that you'll have the chance to find this album in your record shop if you use to listen to Doom.

The recipe of Insomnius Dei is not so complex. Like a lot of other Doom Metal bands, this combo made in Australia plays a really cold and slow Metal. The guitars riffs are loud and really insistent and are mixed to some Death Metal vocals (sometime clean). Insomnius Dei is not a band which plays Funeral Doom though and the seven songs of the album are easy of access. Maybe that these songs aren't so complex musically speaking but we have good ambiances in this release and in general the songs have great melodies that you'll easily remember. All in all "Illusions Of Silence" is a good catchy album of Doom Metal which never lacks of rhythm but unfortunately the production is a bit average?

The production is the only problem of this album. The recording is not the worst of the decade of course but the sound isn't so clean and even a bit loud sometime. It's a bit sad because this problem kills a bit the good ambiances of the album, I mean that I would like to listen top such album without having the feeling that I'm listening to an album which was recorded with some average means of recording. This is definitely a problem because the music of Insomnius Dei has some good really melodic passages (with, as an example, guitars soli) which clearly deserve a better sound to be fully enjoyed.

Too bad that "Illusions Of Silence" suffers a bit of its average production. But don't worry this is not horrible and anyway the songs are good and I think that the one who like Doom/Death Metal will like a lot this release. This is maybe not the best album of Doom Metal of the year but "Illusions Of Silence" is a solid release and I highly recommend it if you think that you didn't have a lot of good Doom Metal releases this year. The future of Insomnius Dei is promising if Mark Kelson is able to confirm these words with his future releases under this name. Let's keep an eye on this band ok?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 6

Written by Jeff | 05.12.2007

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 12 users
06.12.2007 - 17:11
FOOCK Nam
Very good production. I agree, riffs of this band is very loud. *put on my must-have stuff pocket*
07.12.2007 - 09:23
Rating: 8
gid
Great review, Jeff. (Just as a little note: the band is called The Eternal, not The Ethernal).

It looks like I'm going to have to go out and get this one.
25.09.2011 - 23:17
Rating: 9
ravendeath
Very, very good album. Some musicians can create amazing music no matter what genre they play.

Hits total: 3848 | This month: 6