10. Raging Speedhorn - How Much Can A Man Ttake

[Lesson 6 - Alternative]
11. Engel - In Splendour
12. Skinny Puppy - Politikil
13. Amplifier - The CSonsultancy
14. Zebrahead - Anthem

[Finals]
15. Motörhead - Ace Of Spades [live]

If you don't know them yet, SPV is a big label, a really big one? If you don't trust me, just have a look on the set-list/line-up of their last compilation and you'll understand that these Germans don't joke when it comes to talk about Metal! "A Spanking Good Song Collection" is a compilation yes, and it's a really well done one, perfect for all the Metal newcomers who want to understand what Metal is but also perfect for all the Metalheads who want to listen to some good songs featured on a really varied record?

Of course "A Spanking Good Song Collection" is just a new compilation without anything exclusive or unreleased and you'll not be able to listen to heavy and brutal music except with some Thrash and Hardcore songs (but nothing Death or Black Metal two Metal styles which aren't really represented in the SPV Team anyway). All in all, these two CDs are good CDs, I mean that the guys of the label weren't wrong when they chose to classify the combos, Power Metal bands are Power Metal bands, same with Thrash, Heavy etc? The songs all come from the catalogue of the label and they are featured in general on the last albums of the bands featured on this compilation. Don't expect a lot of classics here, it's just some "not so old" material but it's ok to learn or discover the different Metal styles thorugh these songs which aren't bad anyway.

Full of great bands with cool songs and really varied "A Spanking Good Song Collection" is a good compilation. Of course, it could be better with at least one classic from each bands but it's also a matter of copyrights you know? Well, it's just a compilation and not a lot of things are missing here? You'll maybe not discover any new bands (not sure?) but you'll listen to more than two hours of good Metal and hey, I think that the line-up doesn't have a lot of loosers don't you think? Ho and yes, the way to conclude this compilation by Motörhead and "Ace of Spades" simply rocks?

If you don't know what to do and want to listen to some good Metal, "A Spanking Good Song Collection" is for you. I say it again, this is not perfect but it's a cool compilation so why not after all? "A Spanking Good Song Collection" is not a must but it's a cool way to listen to a lot of good music, have a look on it if you're lazy to buy all the releases of the SVP catalogue!

Written by Jeff | 06.12.2007

Comments

Comments: 17   Visited by: 81 users
06.12.2007 - 23:23
dancingdecember

horsepooooo,booriiing ehehe come oooon even the cover is so lame and cliche its good that i dont need so-called metal lessons from them.
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
07.12.2007 - 00:07
Stalker
Lone wanderer
OK, wheres the damn Iron Maiden?!
----
07.12.2007 - 01:32
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
once hell of a wide ranging comp. Skinny Puppy, Helloween, Biohazard, and UFO on the same release? that's a lot of ground.

i love that Motorhead is the final.

And, dd, as cliche as the cover might be, I find it both fitting and titillating.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.12.2007 - 01:48
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Haha, who invented the genre Motörhead?
07.12.2007 - 01:49
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Stalker on 07.12.2007 at 00:07

Well, first of all they're not on the SPV label so if they should've been on the disc someone would've had to pay like... a lot ^^ this is a label compilation right?
07.12.2007 - 01:50
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Spyroid on 07.12.2007 at 01:49

Well, first of all they're not on the SPV label so if they should've been on the disc someone would've had to pay like... a lot ^^ this is a label compilation right?

Oh... If thats so.... than Ok.
----
07.12.2007 - 03:01
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Written by Stalker on 07.12.2007 at 01:50

Written by Spyroid on 07.12.2007 at 01:49

Oh... If thats so.... than Ok.

Yes, that was implied

It does look like a pretty strong compilation though. You are right about the power SPV wields, Jeff!
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
07.12.2007 - 04:16
Hyvaarin

The entire Priest collection, and they chose 'Bullet Train'?
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
07.12.2007 - 09:28
FOOCK Nam

The cover is like emo, lol
07.12.2007 - 09:58
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Hyvaarin on 07.12.2007 at 04:16

Haha, I think Priest has not been on SPV for very many albums. Maybe they're just allowed to choose from the albums released on the label?
07.12.2007 - 12:45
dancingdecember

Written by Spyroid on 07.12.2007 at 01:48

Haha, who invented the genre Motörhead?

haha motörhead from now on will be accepted by mankind as a whole new genre it looks funny
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
07.12.2007 - 14:07
Deadsoulman

I like the choice of the songs. It is so not obvious I think it's the first time I have something positive to say about a compilation of known bands, but SPV has not chosen the easy way with the most famous songs of each band. I like that
07.12.2007 - 16:45
Hyvaarin

Written by Spyroid on 07.12.2007 at 09:58

Haha, I think Priest has not been on SPV for very many albums. Maybe they're just allowed to choose from the albums released on the label?

Yeah probably. Any idea which Priest albums are on SPV?

Written by FOOCK Nam on 07.12.2007 at 09:28

The cover is like emo, lol

Haha what?
----
08.12.2007 - 03:37
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Hyvaarin on 07.12.2007 at 16:45

Written by Spyroid on 07.12.2007 at 09:58

Yeah probably. Any idea which Priest albums are on SPV?

Written by FOOCK Nam on 07.12.2007 at 09:28

No idea! It's probably on wikipedia if you want to check it out. But all albums I own with them (from the 70's or 80's) are Columbia
18.12.2007 - 15:31
Hyvaarin

Uno momento, por favor - since when have Type O Negative been considered hardcore?
----
18.12.2007 - 15:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Hyvaarin on 18.12.2007 at 15:31

Uno momento, por favor - since when have Type O Negative been considered hardcore?

Ever listen to their debut album? although the gothic influences seeped through there as well.

But not after that anymore, I agree...
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.12.2007 - 15:41
Hyvaarin

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.12.2007 at 15:35

Written by Hyvaarin on 18.12.2007 at 15:31

Ever listen to their debut album? although the gothic influences seeped through there as well.

But not after that anymore, I agree...

Haha, I actually haven't - I wasn't just being a rhetorical prick . My knowledge of Type O is pretty minimal, so seeing them there raised some genuine questions haha.
----

Hits total: 9135 | This month: 17