Metal Storm logo
Why is the top 100 messed up

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 07.12.2007 - 05:25
It all started long time ago when I saw an Opeth Album being number one of all time...my reaction obviously was "wtf?...why?...what!?". Now I happen to see a discussion between fans of modern bands vs fans of classic bands arguing why "this" modern bands is superior to "this" classic band (I can surely name hundreds of reasons why old bands are "still "superior than modern bands, but better leave that to another topic later, or maybe to another person interested)

...I call it music "fashion", the big majority of people tend to listen to what is popular out there today and somehow forget, ignore or completely don't know what was the "fashion" back then when music was less digitalized and more naturalistic, musically detailed...when true talents flourished I would say.

I take for example Opeth and Wintersun two newly talented bands doing what they do best and at the same time gaining countless amounts of fans (the first one being more overrated than the other, of course) I understand people these days love the technical stuff, (I recommend Spiral Architect) but in today's music there's a lack of originality yet there's a lot of influence from those forgotten bands. In my opinion bands like Coroner, Watchtower "for example" deserve recognition rather than getting a mediocre 12 votes compared to almost 400 of pop-metal bands. I believe these people have not seen what's beyond the music they listen to but are aware of what's out there kicking these days.

The voting system in a way tends to be more balanced towards the modern people's advantage since what they vote reflects today's music, I would rather see a system in which each person individually pick their top 20 albums and have them ranked by popularity not score...I am aware that old bands will still remain in the shadows with or without this system or any new system but in a way it sounds like a more organized way of keeping such monumental title of number one of all time safe.

Here I give you the opportunity to express your thoughts and express your own points of view...Do bands like Opeth, Arcturus, Wintersun really deserve that title when competing against bands like Judas Priest, Motörhead and Iron Maiden? (<---Examples)

You wonder why MTV wasn't gay before when they didn't play bands like Trivium, Dickswitch Engay, Atreyu in a decent Metal show?... It is the same reason why I am writing this, the fans...yup, the fans (us), and of course money and the bullshit reality shows like Laguna Bitch.

*I can name hundreds of gayer bands from MTV but that's enough to scare a little...and enough to realized our generation's big mistake.
16.12.2007 - 09:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 15.12.2007 at 20:19

[
Like you said earlier, there's little point in comparing old bands to new. I agree - times have changed and so have tastes and expectations. So...

Down with the Top 100!

But even if thay change old albums are like legacy dont deny them, maybe I dont listen new albums, but old its legends
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.12.2007 - 10:58
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by gid on 15.12.2007 at 22:07

But I think the scene has "sold out" to public demand - to a certain extent. People want a predictable product. That's why every Opeth/Wintersun/Kalmah/Fintroll/etc. album sounds more or less the same - but with minor variations and enhancements. Yes there is evolution, just nothing ground-breaking.

See, I don't think the scene has sold out. It's just become popular. I remember when Finntroll first 'hit' the scene, and they were a surprise. Nobody had done what they were doing. To me there's a fair bit progression in Opeth albums, but I'll admit, I like Opeth, so I'm more likely to hear the differences. Conversely, every Motorhead album sounds the same to me, but I'm sure that a Motorhead fan will rightfully put me in my place about that.

Maybe there is very little that's ground breaking because the relative standard within the scene (as set by your favourite classic bands) is already quite high?

LOL, I know what you're talking about with Motorhead - they sound the same to me as well. And I definitely agree with your last comment - there's not as much room for bands to develop in wholly new directions now that the metal genre (and all the subgenres) are fairly well defined. It must be challenging to find a new niche and expand on it when there's already so much that's already been done. So I can certainly appreciate what the newer bands are up against.

My original point was not to put down the new stuff in favour of the old (check my profile, my favourite album is Wintersun) but rather to draw attention to the fact that the strengths of the old bands are very different from the strengths of the new ones. Iron Maiden are creative geniuses in terms of Steve Harris' ground-breaking bass work and their willingness to explore unusual, eclectic themes. Opeth's Mikael Akerfeldt is a compositional genius who has the ability to weave phenomenally intricate and complex elements together into a dissonant masterpiece.

What Iron Maiden have to offer and what Opeth have to offer are incomparable. All you find out in the Top 100 is whether there are more Maiden fans or more Opeth fans on Metal Storm. Honestly, who cares?

17.12.2007 - 08:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

... Or "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" - yes, a metal song about jogging.

Okay it is about jogging, but not as much of a creative risk as one would think at first, since the song is based on the 1962 movie The Loneliness Of A Long Distance Runner. And as we all know Maiden has quite a few songs inspired by movies and literature.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.12.2007 - 09:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.12.2007 at 08:51

... Or "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" - yes, a metal song about jogging.

Okay it is about jogging, but not as much of a creative risk as one would think at first, since the song is based on the 1962 movie The Loneliness Of A Long Distance Runner. And as we all know Maiden has quite a few songs inspired by movies and literature.

Almoust all songs are inspirate till No Prayer for Dying even new album

But .... isnt it about Maraton battle where guy run till Atenas to tell that greeks won
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.12.2007 - 17:20
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by gid on 15.12.2007 at 21:15

"Images and Words" by Dream Theater: it's arguable that this album cemented the progressive metal genre. If it didn't, it certainly brought it to the mainstream's attention. Complex song structures, complex modal melodies... well, there's not much on this album that isn't a creative risk, to be honest.

I don't think I could agree with you more. In a time when Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Dinosaur Jr., Guns n Roses, and a more commercial version of Metallica were the biggest acts in rock music, Dream Theater sure did take a risk by putting that album out. As far as most people were concerned Metal (Glam & Pop Metal is this case) were dead, and American Thrash was not far behind. Yet these five guys put out an album that sounded like nothing at the time, had no radio friendly material, no record label to support them, and no massive fan base, yet the music was so fresh, so new, so...progressive, that "Pull Me Under" became a radio and MTV hit, the album went gold and Progressive Metal had now established itself.

But for some reason, people rate this alum with 1s here. Go figure.
----
(space for rent)
21.12.2007 - 05:33
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 20.12.2007 at 17:20

But for some reason, people rate this alum with 1s here. Go figure.

Yes, it's all because of the Top 100. I'm sure we'd all be happier without it - or with a more meaningful replacement. But I'm starting to sound like a broken record now...
22.12.2007 - 09:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Meh, I think this all comes down to the simple problem of each person having different standards for what makes a top notch album, some people judge purely on speed or skill, another on complexity, another on production and depth, uniqueness, catchiness,others that judge it on an album standing the test of time and leaving a permanent mark on metals history. and you can usually see this in a persons votes what type of judge they are, and the majority of what kind of people there are can be seen in the top 100.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.12.2007 - 15:28
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 16.12.2007 at 10:58

Honestly, who cares?

yeah, i was about to say the same. this thread should be locked. there's nothing to discuss here.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
23.12.2007 - 00:38
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 22.12.2007 at 15:28

Written by Guest on 16.12.2007 at 10:58

Honestly, who cares?

yeah, i was about to say the same. this thread should be locked. there's nothing to discuss here.

You've quoted me out of context... I wasn't talking about this thread.
11.03.2008 - 03:22
Evil Chip
There are 4 iron maiden albums in the top 10. Yeah I know they are a classic, but... Are they the only metal band that is good?. Seems like every fan votes 1 for other bands that can be a potential top 10.
11.03.2008 - 04:06
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Evil Chip on 11.03.2008 at 03:22

There are 4 iron maiden albums in the top 10. Yeah I know they are a classic, but... Are they the only metal band that is good?. Seems like every fan votes 1 for other bands that can be a potential top 10.

And none of them are even close to being that good. Iron Maiden makes hits, not top-notch albums. Even Number of the Beast has a handful of mediocre songs on it. An album with mediocre songs should never even come close to being in the top 10 when there are dozens of albums out there that are top-notch from start to finish.

The amount of abuse is ridiculous. I hope they pull the plug on the Top 100.
11.03.2008 - 04:19
Evil Chip
Written by Guest on 11.03.2008 at 04:06

Written by Evil Chip on 11.03.2008 at 03:22

And none of them are even close to being that good. Iron Maiden makes hits, not top notch albums. Even Number of the Beast has a handful of mediocre songs on it. An album with mediocre songs should never even come close to being in the top 10 when there are dozens of albums out there that are top-notch from start to finish.

The amount of abuse is ridiculous. I hope they pull the plug on the Top 100.

Yeah I know in Iron Maiden classic albums there are the classic tracks and the others are just fillers. I think are good or very good albums with catchy riffs and choruses not much more than that.
11.03.2008 - 04:31
Evil Chip
And its stupid to say all classics are masterpieces, I own a lot of them but not all of them are masterpiece. And by the way all of that albums where mainstream at their time, more than the new metal albums (metal is a more underground music now). Some new bands have come with really good albums like Opeth, and to say that new metal its a new fashion shows inmaturity and lack of based argues. How can a band with 10 minutes tracks be a fashion.
Theres no respectful to all those classic albums just objetive point of views.
11.03.2008 - 04:48
Evil Chip
Written by selken on 07.12.2007 at 16:42

I see this thread kind of pointless cause you get some points that don't make sense for me:
MTV???: Yes, I'm tired to watch Opeth, Arcturus and Death on mtv, even, the only thing I watch on MTV is South Park!!!.
There are also many good old albums featured in the top 100, Ace Of Spades, The Number of the Beast, Beneath the Remains.... Even AC/DC's Back in Black, that album ain't metal, but What I am supposed to do? nothing, its my opinion against 85 ppl who voted that album.
The same goes for the rest of albums, if there exist voting, ALWAYS you'll find things that you don't like, but that's democracy, power of the masses, if you are complaining you are acting like if you want to put your will in the site.

Written by Ivan on 07.12.2007 at 12:48

this site

You said it for me, Metal Storm is just a website (a very good one BTW ) but is not the whole world.

After all, the top 100 is not so important, you listen to your fav bands, I listen to the mines, regardless of the possition they have on that table, I'm I wrong??
Just don't try making people to think like you???, Debating about opinions is just pointless.

Opeth and Arcturus on MTV??????. Wtf i only have my chemical romance, fall out boys, panic at the disco, kudai and the more metal in mtv is 30 second to mars. I see South Park always too.
11.03.2008 - 21:12
selken
Irreligious
Written by Evil Chip on 11.03.2008 at 04:48

Opeth and Arcturus on MTV??????. Wtf i only have my chemical romance, fall out boys, panic at the disco, kudai and the more metal in mtv is 30 second to mars. I see South Park always too.

I was being sarcastic
----
11.03.2008 - 21:40
Evil Chip
Written by selken on 11.03.2008 at 21:12

Written by Evil Chip on 11.03.2008 at 04:48

I was being sarcastic

Oh
But south park rules anyways.
20.09.2008 - 22:32
tarek173
Account deleted
Why isnt the voting based on likeness not based on posession ? I have alot of albums that I think are shit, having them doesnt mean they're top 100 !!!!!!!!!!!!!
21.09.2008 - 14:58
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 20.09.2008 at 22:32

Why isnt the voting based on likeness not based on posession ? I have alot of albums that I think are shit, having them doesnt mean they're top 100 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

It isn't like that. There is a top 100 based on votes, and one based on how many people own it.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
24.01.2009 - 14:35
Slayer666
Written by Lucas on 21.09.2008 at 14:58

Written by Guest on 20.09.2008 at 22:32

It isn't like that. There is a top 100 based on votes, and one based on how many people own it.

Exactly, that's why top 100 is crap. The album needs a 100 votes to be on it, so only the bands that are either really commercialized or have a great advertising can even compete. When I look at it, and see Opeth's album at position 3......
I don't like Metallica, but I can somewhat understand that their albums are 1st and 2nd. Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Dream Theatre, Porcupine Tree.... Ugh.
Many of the albums at top 100 are good, but are certanly not good enough to be there, while some real amazing releases are forgoten.
All of this is in my not-so-modest opinion.
25.01.2009 - 11:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
The vote minimum is smart.

the fact is it needs some actual validation for consideration.

this site is littered with people who horribly inflate ratings (or horribly deflate as well) for albums. i remember naglfar used to have scores of over 9.1 for each of their albums, so i went and bought one. well, it was a pretty good album the first listen through (8.0 imo), but after each listen it lost some luster. now i'd barely consider it a 7.

the fact is 11 people (fanbois) voting horribly overinflated that work.

the last thing i want is something like "Sheol" showing up on our top 100 because a fistful of fanbois love it and no one else has even bothered to check it out.

part of the significance of an album is the influence of said album. the impact it had. if only a dozen metalstormers have heard it, it couldn't really have had too terribly much of an impact, could it?

finally, the concept about minimum posts for voting is absurd on a couple levels.

1. we have plenty of people on the site who do not participate on the forums who know their music. there are a couple dozen members of various metal bands that MSers love that visit the site, see what's said about their stuff. They don't post - but i'm willing to bet they know their metal. probably better than most of us do.

2. a posting minimum would just promote spam.

i'd rather have Arkona direct 250 people to our site to register and vote for their album and then disappear than 250 people spamming the forums with "Dude, band X rocks... :banger;" just to hit the minimum to support their favorite artist.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.01.2009 - 11:50
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by BitterCOld on 25.01.2009 at 11:03
finally, the concept about minimum posts for voting is absurd on a couple levels.

1. we have plenty of people on the site who do not participate on the forums who know their music. there are a couple dozen members of various metal bands that MSers love that visit the site, see what's said about their stuff. They don't post - but i'm willing to bet they know their metal. probably better than most of us do.

2. a posting minimum would just promote spam.

i'd rather have Arkona direct 250 people to our site to register and vote for their album and then disappear than 250 people spamming the forums with "Dude, band X rocks... :banger;" just to hit the minimum to support their favorite artist.
I agree that a minimum post count in order to vote for albums is absurd, but about your last paragraph, I'm not so sure. With proper moderation and deletion of such useless posts, perhaps the avoidance of lamevotes would be easier under those circumstances than if a band directs fans to sign up and they never truly join the community (i.e. completely cease visiting the site after one or two days).
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays