Metal Storm logo
Nirvana

Original post

Posted by therest, 07.12.2007 - 18:17
I remember there used to be a topic about them, but it was gone so I made a new one. I also remember people here didn't like Nirvana that much, but not why. So what I'd like u to do is to write down what you like about them, what you don't and anything that comes in mind about them, facts and stuff.
18.05.2010 - 08:08
whatsacow
Nirvana made one of my all time favourite albums ever: MTV unplugged in New York. Such an excellent album.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
22.05.2010 - 09:59
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Uirapuru on 04.05.2010 at 15:55

Hehe.. I never noticed how cool 'School'' was before the Fear Factory cover

Well, Nirvana's Bleach includes some song that's are so cool if they're performed in a heavier way. Beside Fear Factory's cover of School, there's also a cover of Negative Creep done by Machine Head, and that's cool in my opinion too.
Anyway Bleach is totally a Metal album in my view..
22.05.2010 - 15:17
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Nirvana "murdered" Metal. nuff said
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
22.05.2010 - 15:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Zombie on 22.05.2010 at 15:17

Where does this misconcetion come from? That they killed off metal. All grunge did was kill that atrocity called glam/hair metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.05.2010 - 20:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.05.2010 at 15:25

Written by Zombie on 22.05.2010 at 15:17

Where does this misconcetion come from? That they killed off metal. All grunge did was kill that atrocity called glam/hair metal.

And as far as I remember... Metal that was more well known [like thrash] wasn't doing very well in the 90s in the first place, you can't blame another [and completely different] genre for that : .
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.05.2010 - 17:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.05.2010 at 20:19

And as far as I remember... Metal that was more well known [like thrash] wasn't doing very well in the 90s in the first place, you can't blame another [and completely different] genre for that : .

Exactly you can't blame another genre (in this case grunge, which btw had lots of metal in its sound) for the demise ofa large part of metal. Thrash was getting stale cause most bands had lost their anger and bite. Glam/hair metal had become even more ridiculous than it already was. But at the oppostie side of the spectrum Death metal was huge back then. The popularity death metal had reached by that point hasn't been matched since.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.05.2010 - 22:13
Got Mayhem?
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.05.2010 at 17:46

Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.05.2010 at 20:19

Exactly you can't blame another genre (in this case grunge, which btw had lots of metal in its sound) for the demise ofa large part of metal. Thrash was getting stale cause most bands had lost their anger and bite. Glam/hair metal had become even more ridiculous than it already was. But at the oppostie side of the spectrum Death metal was huge back then. The popularity death metal had reached by that point hasn't been matched since.

I'm not sure why people think that either. Grunge rushed into the mainstream light, something that Thrash and Death metal (ideally) despised. Though I wasn't old enough to remember stuff like that at the time I can't imagine that Nirvana made metalheads turn in their Entombed shirts for a Soundgarden one.
----
25.05.2010 - 01:20
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
In my humble opinion, Fuck Nirvana and any band that sounds like Nirvana...
----

25.05.2010 - 10:03
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Zombie on 25.05.2010 at 01:20

I read this somewhere, it would be nice if you read it too..

Don't go bashing bands (or any other subject for that matter) you don't like unless you really have something of worth to say.
Replying with a phrase like "it sucks" without backing it up with some argument is totally useless and will only offend people.
30.05.2010 - 20:05
vezzy
Stallmanite
Nirvana are largely overrated, in my opinion, I prefer Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and Audioslave over them. That and the many Kurt Cobain conspiracies.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
31.05.2010 - 14:33
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Got Mayhem? on 23.05.2010 at 22:13
I'm not sure why people think that either. Grunge rushed into the mainstream light, something that Thrash and Death metal (ideally) despised. Though I wasn't old enough to remember stuff like that at the time I can't imagine that Nirvana made metalheads turn in their Entombed shirts for a Soundgarden one.

Well, I was/am a metalhead that actually liked Nirvana, Soundgarden, and especially Alice In Chains. (Never liked Pearl Jam though!) But still loved Entombed, death metal, and all the metal stuff I liked before grunge appeared. I think its totally ludicrous that anyone would think you have to ''turn in your metal shirt'', in order to start liking grunge. As for grunge ''killing'' metal, thats just a ludicrous suggestion. I guess it must have risen back from the dead then! lol I was still buying albums by Testament, Overkill, etc at a time when most people assumed metal was dead, or at least thrash was. No, it was never dead, it just got pushed underground, thats all. Bands like Overkill and Testament could never have survived that era if they didnt still have a substantial (if reduced) fan base still buying their albums.
22.07.2010 - 01:19
JD
Account deleted

i don't agree with you
22.07.2010 - 01:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 22.07.2010 at 01:19

i don't agree with you

I am backing you on that one.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.07.2010 - 02:01
JD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.07.2010 at 01:48

Written by Guest on 22.07.2010 at 01:19

i don't agree with you

I am backing you on that one.

hahah ok then ur welcome, anyway the only grunge bands that i like is (AiC, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Pearl Jam) i started with this style
22.07.2010 - 02:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 22.07.2010 at 02:01

hahah ok then ur welcome, anyway the only grunge bands that i like is (AiC, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Pearl Jam) i started with this style

I only like Pearl jam's first albm and a bit of their second. But the rest I agree, Temple Of The Dog are brilliant, btw I also like Mother Love Bone
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.07.2010 - 02:14
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
So, should i apologize for Nirvana or what ? .. coz i wont

anyways, if what you copied and pasted was a forum rule then sorry for breaking it.. otherwise.. i stand by my opinion.. i despise that band
----

22.07.2010 - 02:14
JD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.07.2010 at 02:06

Written by Guest on 22.07.2010 at 02:01

I only like Pearl jam's first albm and a bit of their second. But the rest I agree, Temple Of The Dog are brilliant, btw I also like Mother Love Bone

don't know Mother Love Bone, do you know that the vocals of Temple Of The Dog is Chris(vocals)from soundgarden and the backing vocals is the Pearl Jam's vocalist
22.07.2010 - 02:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 22.07.2010 at 02:14

don't know Mother Love Bone, do you know that the vocals of Temple Of The Dog is Chris(vocals)from soundgarden and the backing vocals is the Pearl Jam's vocalist

Of course I know I have the original cd. The Pearl jam guy does the back up and only does a couple of co-lead vocals on two or three tracks. The rest is purely alll Cornell. Who is btw a much much much better vocalist than Eddie Vedder
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.07.2010 - 12:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Can't say I've ever really heard a grunge band I dislike. Something about the style instantly reminds me of my younger days. Even Pearl Jam has managed to regain a decent amount of respect again with their last two albums. Which is nice. </irrelevant to thread>
10.10.2010 - 18:00
therest
Written by Zombie on 22.07.2010 at 02:14

So, should i apologize for Nirvana or what ? .. coz i wont

anyways, if what you copied and pasted was a forum rule then sorry for breaking it.. otherwise.. i stand by my opinion.. i despise that band

A passionate despiser is always an asset for a band.
----
"It's because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everybody does everything." - Homer Simpson

"Then hold to the fading colors
The grayest of life is yet to come"
- Întunecatul
12.07.2011 - 13:27
JD
Account deleted
Here is some Covers\Tributes for Nirvana, I've collected these songs In the past few years, I just wanna share it with you guys, and if you know some tributes i don't know about, feel free to PM me

The Melvins:
Smells Like Teen Spirit

Tori Amos:
Smells Like Teen Spirit

Patti Smith:
Smells Like Teen Spirit

Fatboy Slim:
Smells Like Teen Spirit

Cibo Matto:
About A Girl

Tallywood Strings:
"String Quartet Tribute to Nirvana's Nevermind" they covered the whole "Nevermind" album in Symphony Orchestra style.

Mambo Kurt:
Come as you are

Smells Like Bleach: A Punk Tribute to Nirvana by VA

Aiden:
Drain You

Anathema:
Something In The Way

Caravans:
About A Girl

Evanescence:
Heart Shaped Box

Fear Factory:
School

Hole:
Old Age

Ill Nino:
Territorial Pissing

Machine Head:
Negative Creep

Marilyn Manson:
Lithium

Otep:
Breed

The Polyphonic Spree:
Lithium

Type O Negative:
Smells Like Teen Spirit
13.07.2011 - 07:53
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 12.07.2011 at 13:27

Here is some Covers\Tributes for Nirvana, I've collected these songs In the past few years, I just wanna share it with you guys, and if you know some tributes i don't know about, feel free to PM me
*Long list of covers that would take up to much space*

I coulnd't find the Type O Negative or Marilyn Manson cover on youtube. Ill Nino's cover was awesome, and The Melvins cover sounded almost identical to the original, only with inferior vocals. Do you know of any metal band covering In Bloom? That's by far my favorite Nirvana song.
13.07.2011 - 14:03
JD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.07.2011 at 07:53

Written by Guest on 12.07.2011 at 13:27

*Long list of covers that would take up to much space*

I coulnd't find the Type O Negative or Marilyn Manson cover on youtube. Ill Nino's cover was awesome, and The Melvins cover sounded almost identical to the original, only with inferior vocals. Do you know of any metal band covering In Bloom? That's by far my favorite Nirvana song.

The Type O Negative cover was awesome, I really love what they did with the song, so you need to check it, The MM cover sucked IMO, about "In Bloom" Tallywood Strings coverd it without a vocals, just a symphonic orchestra song, and Papa Roach covered either "In Bloom" or "Lithium" am not quite sure, but it wasn't good as I remember.

PS: I didn't get any notification that you quoted me here.
30.06.2014 - 08:53
Ganondox
Love Nirvana, my second favorite grunge band after Alice in Chains. Probably the heaviest and noisest band to reach their level of success, but they've got a great sense of melody as well.
18.10.2014 - 14:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ganondox on 30.06.2014 at 08:53

Love Nirvana, my second favorite grunge band after Alice in Chains. Probably the heaviest and noisest band to reach their level of success, but they've got a great sense of melody as well.

Alice in Chains was heavyer, most metal from all Grunge
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.10.2014 - 15:27
IronAngel
Alice in Chains were more "metal" but they certainly weren't heavier.
18.10.2014 - 22:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Jesus H Christ all of you youngsters are clearly DEAF

The heaviest grunge band was clearly early Soundgarden
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.10.2014 - 05:48
Ganondox
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.10.2014 at 22:26

I'm not saying that Nirvana is the heaviest grunge band, just they are the heaviest band to reach their level of success, which is significantly more than the other grunge bands because they've had more lasting popularity. However, while I agree in general Soundgarden is heavier than Nirvana, the heaviest thing I've heard from Nirvana is heavier than the heaviest thing I've heard from Soundgarden. Then again I'm a lot more familiar with Nirvana's discography than Soundgarden's.
25.10.2014 - 15:54
DayFly
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.10.2014 at 22:26

I guess Alice in Chains and Tad are not grunge bands?

Btw, death metal killed metal. At least traditional metal and thrash (which was dead anyway by 1992). The dedicated airwaves were only playing death; hard rock and trad metal were simply no longer requested (or ignored if requested). Not that I'm judging or lamenting of anything, it's just how I remember it. Make of it what you will.
09.11.2014 - 21:53
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Remember getting Nevermind on audio cassette not long after it came out, then seeing them play at the ANU Bar in Canberra in February 1992. It was a wild and chaotic night and a great show. I was only 18 then and just really enjoyed the night and the music and have great memories of it. I still think that Nevermind is one of my favourite albums of all time. Just the raw energy and simplicity of it makes me want to get up and mosh out.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...