Metal Storm logo
Megadeth vs Metallica

Original post

Posted by -Valhalla-, 07.06.2006 - 03:18
Megadeth and Metallica have been trying to out do eachother for years. Dave Mustaine was an Ex-Metallica guitarist, and made Megadeth to show that he doesn't need metallica. Metallica the more popular of the two, cut thier hair, and sold out, touring with bands like Linkin Park, Limp Bizcuit. Meanwhile, Megadeth's still going strong. Who's better? Would you rather go to see live?

In my opinion Megadeth is the better of the two. Metallica is a bunch of fatheads who have sucked balls since Ride The Lightning. Megadeth still sounds great, and has the Gigantour going, while Metallica is busy filming their next documentary about, whiney disagreements, and how the band is falling apart.

Poll

Megadeth vs. Metallica

Megadeth
Metallica

Total votes: 971
01.03.2012 - 16:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by mojo on 01.03.2012 at 16:41

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2012 at 15:50

Written by mojo on 01.03.2012 at 15:25

At least Dave had the good grace to quit when he was shit - for a while at least. Metallica haven't so far extended us the same courtesy.

Neither has Dave since he's still at it.

Indeed, that's why i added - for a while at least. He tried though; bonus points for effort

I am implying he should have quit definitely as well. Metallica's break between Metallica and Load was longer than Dave's longest break.
A shame he keeps on releasing turds for albums as well and that from a man who released classics in the form of Peace Sells and to a lesser extent Rust In Peace. Damn did he go downhill fast as well
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.03.2012 - 03:58
mojo
To be fair, my favourite Metallica LPs are more favourite than my favourite Megadeth LPs .. I'll be listening to Master of Puppets for a long time after I've forgotten Peace Sells... However, at this moment, on recent releases, Megadeth are ahead on music, Metallica on "originality" (hehehe) ... Dave loses points for being a right-wing christian nutter but Metallica have Lars Ulrich (I mean .. Lars. Ulrich. I know, right?)

Jason Newsted had the right idea.

But I'm not one for icons or idols, so fuck 'em both. I can think of fifty bands who in 2012 are more interesting, exciting and relevant than either of these bloated rock monsters as I'm sure most of us can (NP: Dying World by Vektor)

So, sarcasm aside - Megadeth. No wait .. Metallica. No .. hang on, what was the question again? (damn this drummer is good....)
----
Yeah. No. Wait, what was the question?
08.03.2012 - 23:07
Codera the Great
Account deleted
I'm not huge on either anymore, however the first four Metallica albums really shaped me as a metalhead initially.
25.12.2012 - 13:36
megadeath13
Account deleted
Megadeth without doubt. Metallica was great in the 80´s. They released 4 legendary studio albums, but thats it. Megadeth are still releasing kick ass albums. Endgame was such a badass album and even Thirteen was great. I still discover Metallicas 80s stuff but Megadeth is without question the better band.

great albums Metallica released: 4
great albums Megadeth released: 9 (The other four albums are good too.)
25.12.2012 - 18:46
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 23.02.2012 at 09:19

No matter how many times I hear it, I never fail to dumbstruck by people who claim Megadeth always stayed true to thrash. UNLIKE Metallica, of course. Nobody with functioning ears could possibly call "Youthanasia" a thrash album, or fail to hear the pop music elements found in "Risk". Some of the material on "Risk" is definitely more mainstream than anything Metallica have done. In cases like this, I can only come to 2 conclusions: The person claiming Megadeth never deviated from their original sound must have a severe hearing problem, or, they are a blind fanboy.
Thumbs up, thanks for the bravery, I have exactly the same opinion
26.12.2012 - 11:32
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Megadeth is still going strong today, but I voted for Metallica based on the first four albums. I'm not really a fan of either anymore, but those first four Metallica albums were always essential for me in my early days as a metal fan.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
03.01.2013 - 11:33
Metalandy92
Megadeth,No doubt.

Metallica have done too many mistakes the last years.
05.01.2013 - 16:54
Cream
Account deleted
Megadeth have 13 albums which are masterpieces to solid with the worst being The World Needs a Hero. Metallica stopped producing good music after the black album, with the albums that followed being shit to uneven with LULU as their pinnacle of embrassment.

So Megadeth are creating continually great metal music since 30 years and Metallica are embrassing the metal community for 12 years already.
07.01.2013 - 13:33
Metalandy92
Written by Guest on 05.01.2013 at 16:54

Megadeth have 13 albums which are masterpieces to solid with the worst being The World Needs a Hero. Metallica stopped producing good music after the black album, with the albums that followed being shit to uneven with LULU as their pinnacle of embrassment.

So Megadeth are creating continually great metal music since 30 years and Metallica are embrassing the metal community for 12 years already.

A lot of people say that metallica returned to their roots with death magnetic.THey didn't.

It sounds more like ST.anger(a terrible album) than Master of puppets.

It isn't thrash either.

I think Death Magnetic sucks and I don't like and justice for all either.
07.01.2013 - 16:12
Ilahiya Khinzir
Account deleted
Written by Metalandy92 on 07.01.2013 at 13:33

A lot of people say that metallica returned to their roots with death magnetic.THey didn't.

It isn't thrash either.

And Justice For All is their magnus opum in my humble opinion, but true about Death Magnetic which is unlistenble since its so embrassingly fucking ultra-compressed and loud that your ears are just in pain.
07.01.2013 - 23:22
For me megadeath , because megadeath has made betters album and they follow doing it
08.01.2013 - 11:36
Metalandy92
Written by Guest on 07.01.2013 at 16:12

Written by Metalandy92 on 07.01.2013 at 13:33

It isn't thrash either.

And Justice For All is their magnus opum in my humble opinion, but true about Death Magnetic which is unlistenble since its so embrassingly fucking ultra-compressed and load that your ears are just in pain.

I only like one or two songs of that album,and I think One is overrated and a bit boring.And Death Magnetic were just terrible and not real metallica at all.
08.01.2013 - 11:41
Metalandy92
Written by YesferalCuevaSanchez on 07.01.2013 at 23:22

For me megadeath , because megadeath has made betters album and they follow doing it

Megadeth not megadeath.
15.01.2013 - 02:46
FourMechALYX
Account deleted
Megadeth. I really like both, but Megadeth has had more good songs. Metallica was really great in the beginning, and even through the weird 90s stuff they had some very good songs, but just not as high a percentage, in my opinion, as the amount of good, catchy, well organized, meaningful, emotion-capturing Megadeth songs. The again I do just really like Megadeth and connect well with some of their songs, so maybe I'm not being fair. They are both good though, and they're more different than it would seem at first thought.
24.01.2013 - 02:39
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
1980s: Tie
1990s: Megadeth
2000s: Megadeth
2010s: Megadeth
04.02.2013 - 04:46
Seita
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 24.01.2013 at 02:39

1980s: Tie
1990s: Megadeth
2000s: Megadeth
2010s: Megadeth

09.02.2013 - 20:48
Hi everybody!

This seems like the right thread to post my question:

Since there are so many knowledgeable people in here, there is a certain chance I will find someone eho can help me with this.

I write (in my blog) about old concert tickets and other cool gig related stuff in my personal collection. Much of this is bought or traded with other collectors, and I dont have all the details for all shows, obviously. One of the coolest tickets I have was bought from legendary producer Bill Grahams archives, and is for the New Years Eve show in San Fransisco Civic i 1985, when Megadeth, Metallica, Metal Church and Exodus blew the minds of 6-7000 metalheads away in a now legendary gig. I have written about the gig here (http://rockmetalmemorabilia.com/2013/02/01/unused-ticket-metallica-san-fransisco-civic-auditorium-usa-december-31st-1985-master-of-puppets-live-for-the-first-time/) , but I would be really interested in hearing from anyone who was actually there that night, and get a better feel of how the show was, and what the atmosphere was like! That would be just insane, so:

If anyone in here was present at the San Fran Civic December 31, 1985, let me know!!

And for that matter, if you were at any of the other gigs I have blogged about, let me know, and I will add it/ correct my articles to make them more true and interesting

Thanks a bunch so far, hope to hear from anyone. Any comment welcome!!
----
Levi
www.rockmetalmemorabilia.com
Old concert tickets and the story behind!
26.03.2013 - 13:41
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Megadeth, definitely. I've always liked James Hetfield's vocals better, but Megadeth makes better music by far.
----
28.03.2013 - 13:18
Metal_Elle
I voted Megadeth. It's a better band with many good albums, contrary to Metallica which had only 3 good albums (Master Of Puppets, Ride The Lightning and Metallica).
28.03.2013 - 20:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Metal_Elle on 28.03.2013 at 13:18

I voted Megadeth. It's a better band with many good albums, contrary to Metallica which had only 3 good albums (Master Of Puppets, Ride The Lightning and Metallica).

You're right they only had three really good albums and Metallica is NOT of them. Their three best by far are their first three, so also Kill 'Em All
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.03.2013 - 15:26
Metal_Elle
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.03.2013 at 20:20

Written by Metal_Elle on 28.03.2013 at 13:18

You're right they only had three really good albums and Metallica is NOT of them. Their three best by far are their first three, so also Kill 'Em All

For me, Metallica is a good album. But I'm not a great fan of this band and its music. I really prefer Megadeth. And the european thrash metal with Kreator, Sodom or Tankard. I don't really like James Hetfield's voice.
01.04.2013 - 10:19
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.03.2013 at 20:20

I'm with you. The "Black Album" was a decent heavy metal release, but it was dumbed down and boring, especially compared to shit like Ride the Lightning.

I can say that ...And Justice for All was pretty decent, but nowhere near as good as the first three. I'm still thoroughly confused by all the people that think that Metallica was one of their best.
----
05.04.2013 - 11:05
Hellbrann
Metallica, they were one of my first metalbands. Too bad they have become a shadow of their former selves. But I thought Death Magnetic was pretty solid. Then again, it can't get much worse than St. Anger. I refuse to acknowledge Lulu as a part of Metallica's discography. Also I can't stand Mustaine's vocals.
----
Druantia | Folk metal
13.04.2013 - 07:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Hellbrann on 05.04.2013 at 11:05

Metallica, they were one of my first metalbands. Too bad they have become a shadow of their former selves.

Megadave has as well, only people don't seem to hold his sell out against him while they froth at the keyboard about Metallica. people hate on one while gobbling the other's balls. i will never get it.

i wouldn't spend $5 on anything either band has released since 1990.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.04.2013 - 09:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by BitterCOld on 13.04.2013 at 07:05
Megadave has as well, only people don't seem to hold his sell out against him while they froth at the keyboard about Metallica. people hate on one while gobbling the other's balls. i will never get it.

i wouldn't spend $5 on anything either band has released since 1990.

That scenario is simply proof that a band being hugely popular with the masses is on it's own, enough for some metalheads to shun them. Once a band reaches a certain level of mainstream popularity, some metalheads will hate them purely for that reason, making the actual content of the band's music a non-issue within that process. Although they will of course, claim to hate the band's music.

This is really the only explanation for why Metallica are shunned for "selling out", yet Megadeth largely escape the same backlash, even though they sold out just as much, if not even more so than Metallica. I never even had MTV, but I'm still aware that Megadeth were very much MTV darlings in the early-mid 90's. Probably 2nd only to Metallica when it came to metal bands featured on MTV. In the end, I think this situation really just shows up that some metalheads can be just as superficial when it comes to reasons for liking/disliking bands, as some people who mainly listen to more mainstream types of music.
17.09.2014 - 22:25
lizardking_laah
Account deleted
After AJFA, Metallica has been releasing bad albums... Megadeth keeps the same 'magic'...
18.09.2014 - 02:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 17.09.2014 at 22:25

Megadeth keeps the same 'magic'...

Risk, World Needs Another Hero, Cryptic Writings, Youthanasia, Super Collider. All terribad albums as well.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.09.2014 - 02:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.09.2014 at 02:01

Risk, World Needs Another Hero, Cryptic Writings, Youthanasia, Super Collider. All terribad albums as well.

Youthonesia is best in that list
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.09.2014 - 04:31
Ganondox
Eh, Metallica I guess, because James Hetfield is a better singer, though despite being a shitty singer Dave Mustaine can bring some intense stuff vocally. I will say Megadeth generally has better instrumentation, but Metallica has plenty of good songs as well, and I'm not a huge fan of thrash anyway so I don't really care.
18.09.2014 - 16:33
lizardking_laah
Account deleted
LoL, ok... I accept that's not been the best comment ever... It's just that compared to the last Metallica albums, Megadeth's are 'better' albums... They try to keep the same style (except by Risk and all those you said)... IMO, I think Megadeth's first 5 albums are a lilttle better than Metallica's first 5 albums...

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.09.2014 at 02:01