Metal Storm logo
Discharge - The roots of black metal?

Original post

Posted by -tom-, 09.12.2007 - 01:08
Ok, this isn't meant to be a discussion on the band in general but feel free to post your opinion on them if you want. I'm mainly thinking of the influence of Discharge on first wave black metal. What do you think? Think of other extreme metal bands in the '80s.

And is it just to do with the thrashy BM/first wave? What about ildjarn and similar bands, for example? And did the emotion-over-technical-ability lay the foundations for most BM bands?

Sorry if this is badly worded. Someone mentioned that they thought Discharge influenced early BM to me and I'd never really thought about it before apart from the similarity between discharge and Ildjarn. So yeah, if it's badly worded I'm sorry but I am tvery tired as well.
27.12.2007 - 22:55
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by Guest on 27.12.2007 at 19:47

Now, I think it's a bit hilaraious that some people talk about Ildjarn like the "proof" of black metal being directly influenced by Discharge. First, Ildjarn couldn't be considered as one of the early black metal acts, second, they're certainly not a typical black metal act, and their own influence for the whole genre isn't as huge neither, and last I don't really see an obvious relation between both bands, beside the fact that both habe garage noise sound, short songs and underdeveloped composition.

I used Ildjarn as an example of a second wave BM band that's punk influenced. I Didn't claim they were proof of anything.

I'd say Ildjarn is fairly representative of black metal. I suppose it's a matter of opinion but the fact that they're quite punkish at times doesn't make them atypical. I'd also say they were quite influential.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
05.01.2008 - 03:51
Drop Out
Account deleted
I question, if Discharge influence Venom, Bathory and so forth, then who influenced Discharge?
05.01.2008 - 04:05
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I would say that the very best BM influences back in the 80's would go to Bathory and Venom. I think that these two really got the genre going, and this type of music has of course evolved, among other things in intensity throughout the years. Discharge surely influenced some bands, but i wouldnt go to say that they are a root for the type of music considering theyre mostly punk. I think that the bands that really defined BM would be Bathory, Venom and Darkthrone. These acts really started the genre and gave it a name.
Hails to Black Metal
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
06.01.2008 - 07:27
totaliteraliter

Written by Guest on 05.01.2008 at 03:51
I question, if Discharge influence Venom, Bathory and so forth, then who influenced Discharge?

Sex Pistols, The Damned, The Clash, etc. They drew from mostly the same stuff as Motorhead I think, but gravitated towards the punk scene rather than the rock/metal scene.
06.01.2008 - 09:56
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Visioneerie on 05.01.2008 at 04:05

I would say that the very best BM influences back in the 80's would go to Bathory and Venom. I think that these two really got the genre going, and this type of music has of course evolved, among other things in intensity throughout the years. Discharge surely influenced some bands, but i wouldnt go to say that they are a root for the type of music considering theyre mostly punk. I think that the bands that really defined BM would be Bathory, Venom and Darkthrone. These acts really started the genre and gave it a name.
Hails to Black Metal

ah, but if you read interviews with Quorthon, Charged GBH was as a big influence on Bathory. And Fenriz is unabashed in admitting Darkthrone's punk influences as well.

i'm not going to make a call as to whether or not discharge specifically was a progenitor of black metal, but punk was certainly a massive influence on the bm movement.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.01.2008 - 10:00
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 11.12.2007 at 23:25

Sorry if I didn't read well your post before replying last night. I should write 100 times "I will not post in metalstorm while I'm drunk"

well, that approach would cut my post count in half - and probably eliminate my better posts.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.01.2008 - 11:29
Fuath

ive always heard that bathory, maybe venom were the founders of black metal, ive never even heard of those mentioned in the topic starter post, and here i was thinking i was a black metal fan, i think i need to do some research
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

07.01.2008 - 00:55
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by BitterCOld on 06.01.2008 at 09:56

Written by Visioneerie on 05.01.2008 at 04:05

Hails to Black Metal

ah, but if you read interviews with Quorthon, Charged GBH was as a big influence on Bathory. And Fenriz is unabashed in admitting Darkthrone's punk influences as well.

i'm not going to make a call as to whether or not discharge specifically was a progenitor of black metal, but punk was certainly a massive influence on the bm movement.

That is true, punk did influence some bm bands. Discharge probably had no idea that they were going to influence such a music genre. But i still stay with the fact that the band is not a root, and i'll admit that they could've helped started bm. I know for a fact that the creative musicians will create a sound of their own, which i think Quorthon achieved, but if the proof in the interviews you mentionned that darkthrone and bathory have had some influences from discharge than i wont deny it.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln