Metal Storm logo
Discharge - The roots of black metal?

Original post

Posted by -tom-, 09.12.2007 - 01:08
Ok, this isn't meant to be a discussion on the band in general but feel free to post your opinion on them if you want. I'm mainly thinking of the influence of Discharge on first wave black metal. What do you think? Think of other extreme metal bands in the '80s.

And is it just to do with the thrashy BM/first wave? What about ildjarn and similar bands, for example? And did the emotion-over-technical-ability lay the foundations for most BM bands?

Sorry if this is badly worded. Someone mentioned that they thought Discharge influenced early BM to me and I'd never really thought about it before apart from the similarity between discharge and Ildjarn. So yeah, if it's badly worded I'm sorry but I am tvery tired as well.
11.12.2007 - 23:45
mankvill

Can we agree to disagree?
11.12.2007 - 23:46
Southern Wind
Account deleted
no
12.12.2007 - 00:40
mankvill

THEN WE WILL FOREVER WAGE WAR.

Discharge = the beginning of the black metal sound.
12.12.2007 - 00:44
Southern Wind
Account deleted
you = shut the fuck up while the adults are talking.
12.12.2007 - 02:42
mankvill

you = go back to bed grandpa
15.12.2007 - 21:17
ylside

Keep it clean please...
16.12.2007 - 01:10
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by Guest on 11.12.2007 at 23:25

The question wether A was influenced by B is somehow useless, but it's important to see if A is a logical continuation of B. Bathory could had taken some elements from Discharge, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Discharge forms part of Bathory as both bands certainly don't follow the same musical and aesthetic line, but they run paralelly. We can't say the same of, for example, Motorhead, because they DO form part of the same process over which black metal developed.

I don't understand this reasoning. If anything it should be the other way round. Motorhead's dirthy thrashy metal can be considered one of the most important factors in starting extreme metal off but it's hard to draw many similarities between Motorhead and more recent extreme metal. Discharge's primitive and angry sound appears to be influential (IMO) on many extreme metal bands in the '80s and continued to be an influence later on (Less than in the '80s but much more influentiual than Motorhead).

Obvious Discharge influence: Ildjarn, Darkthrone, Von. What about important non-first-wave black metal bands influenced by Motorhead?
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
16.12.2007 - 01:21
totaliteraliter

Written by -tom- on 16.12.2007 at 01:10
What about important non-first-wave black metal bands influenced by Motorhead?

Do we consider Impaled Nazarene important?

16.12.2007 - 03:21
mankvill

Written by totaliteraliter on 16.12.2007 at 01:21

PSH NO
16.12.2007 - 14:31
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by totaliteraliter on 16.12.2007 at 01:21

Do you think ImpNaz were more influenced by Motorhead than crust?
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
16.12.2007 - 21:14
Southern Wind
Account deleted

Written by Guest on 11.12.2007 at 23:25

The question wether A was influenced by B is somehow useless, but it's important to see if A is a logical continuation of B. Bathory could had taken some elements from Discharge, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Discharge forms part of Bathory as both bands certainly don't follow the same musical and aesthetic line, but they run paralelly. We can't say the same of, for example, Motorhead, because they DO form part of the same process over which black metal developed.

I don't understand this reasoning. If anything it should be the other way round. Motorhead's dirthy thrashy metal can be considered one of the most important factors in starting extreme metal off but it's hard to draw many similarities between Motorhead and more recent extreme metal. Discharge's primitive and angry sound appears to be influential (IMO) on many extreme metal bands in the '80s and continued to be an influence later on (Less than in the '80s but much more influentiual than Motorhead).

Obvious Discharge influence: Ildjarn, Darkthrone, Von. What about important non-first-wave black metal bands influenced by Motorhead?

I think neither Discharge nor Motorhead (I know that was a dramatical disaster but wtf) influenced more recent black metal, and I think the similarities between Discharge and many black metal bands like Ildjarn can be mere coincidence. After all, everything you need to sound like discharge are jars, strings and a fair dose of anger.
17.12.2007 - 01:40
totaliteraliter

Written by -tom- on 16.12.2007 at 14:31
Do you think ImpNaz were more influenced by Motorhead than crust?

Couldn't say just by listening, it's hard to distinguish where exactly the dirty rock/punk aspect of their sound came from specifically.
17.12.2007 - 20:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Is this band from what Metallica take song 'Free Speach For The Dumb'
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.12.2007 - 00:15
mankvill

Written by Bad English on 17.12.2007 at 20:55

Is this band from what Metallica take song 'Free Speach For The Dumb'

I believe so!
18.12.2007 - 00:58
Ellie
Account deleted
I dont think Discharge has much to do with black metal. They are a crossover punk/thrash band from the 80s..they liked to piss people off..thats about it.
18.12.2007 - 01:34
mankvill

Written by Guest on 18.12.2007 at 00:58

I dont think Discharge has much to do with black metal. They are a crossover punk/thrash band from the 80s..they liked to piss people off..thats about it.

what
26.12.2007 - 12:11
Fucked Upstairs.
Account deleted
Written by mankvill on 09.12.2007 at 23:02

Written by Bad English on 09.12.2007 at 10:30

Sorry if there was no MA I ont know band and how tahy can be influenced, Marcel are write Venom, Bathory, King Diamond are mor einfluenced how thay, thay seems be forgotten

Discharge is one of the first (Maybe THE first) crust punk band.

to make this short, discharge is not crust. discharge (talking about the demo stuff and debut only) is pure in your face hardcore punk played the good way, we can argue about the demos though, since they lack the speed to be really considered hardcore, but then, black flag wouldn't be hardcore punk either. most metalheads claim that discharge is the first hardcore punk band and whatever, but that's just because they don't know anything about hardcore punk. anyway, i'm not telling that you're one of them, but just get your stuff right. if you're looking for the pioneers of crust, try amebix and antisect.

As for the topic, it's not just Discharge, I think punk was a huge influence on metal in general, not only on thrash metal but also in death and black. since i hate venom and most of the first-wave "black metal" bands, I can't tell if it's an influence on it, but i don't think that punk and/or discharge has influenced the second wave of it or the today present bands. though the influence of punk music in metal is obvious so yeah I think it did somehow influence the birth of black metal.
26.12.2007 - 12:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

what no way maybe thay had a lot of albums MA shows a lot of but genrelary thay are good band, and its ROOTS of BM, because King Diamond/Mercifull Fate, Venom, Bulldozer, and such bands werry inspirated whole Norvegian BM
Venom bass/vocals sad :'' You fuckers know, that I use to know a lot of musicians who play like we, but moust of tham ha skids, and day job nowdays, but venom still on the road, buut hearing that whole Norvegian BM scene and bands has been isnpirated of Venom .... ''

same about Discharge
----

apos;'
[image]
26.12.2007 - 21:27
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 26.12.2007 at 12:17

what no way maybe thay had a lot of albums MA shows a lot of but genrelary thay are good band, and its ROOTS of BM, because King Diamond/Mercifull Fate, Venom, Bulldozer, and such bands werry inspirated whole Norvegian BM
Venom bass/vocals sad :'' You fuckers know, that I use to know a lot of musicians who play like we, but moust of tham ha skids, and day job nowdays, but venom still on the road, buut hearing that whole Norvegian BM scene and bands has been isnpirated of Venom .... ''

same about Discharge

Nah I still think Discharge is early thrash/punk
26.12.2007 - 21:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 26.12.2007 at 21:27

same about Discharge

Yes it is but itinspirate BM scene
----

apos;'
[image]
27.12.2007 - 02:42
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 26.12.2007 at 21:39

Written by Guest on 26.12.2007 at 21:27

same about Discharge

I still dont think so
27.12.2007 - 09:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
#Ellie ask those guys who play BM, thay was young whan Discharge play so thay inspirated tham
----

apos;'
[image]
27.12.2007 - 14:41
A.J Thunder

same about Discharge

Too bad i dont understand the moust of you writting

I at least have never seen Discharge meontioned anywhere when speaking about the roots of bm. The 3 first band you mentioned you'll allways find when speaking of the subject. And im quit known with Discharge's music.
27.12.2007 - 16:20
villain

After listening to Ildjarn's Det Frysende Nordariket, I thought that Discharge was definitely an influence upon black metal. Similarly, bands like Darkthrone and Impaled Nazarene have punk-hardcore elements which could be traced back to Discharge.
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
27.12.2007 - 17:16
A.J Thunder

Damn i should start reading the topics correctly. I didnt notice it said first wave.

Yeah i guess Discharge could have had an influence on the first wave of black metal.
27.12.2007 - 17:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by A.J Thunder on 27.12.2007 at 17:16

Damn i should start reading the topics correctly. I didnt notice it said first wave.

Yeah i guess Discharge could have had an influence on the first wave of black metal.

Thay never read firts post

Even early mayhem and Darthrone can sounds lil but like tham, werry litle inspirations there are of this band
----

apos;'
[image]
27.12.2007 - 17:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:
Written by Guest on 27.12.2007 at 02:42

I still dont think so

This band ha sinspirated even metallica, have you hear Metallica garage inc album have you know what kind a punk bands thay listened? look to Garage Ince there be full of such type of bands, and also BM biorn something in late 80ties, and almoust ewery band know this band, and lil take something

Listend early Darkthrone
----

apos;'
[image]
27.12.2007 - 18:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Quote:
Written by Bad English on 27.12.2007 at 17:30

I still dont think so

This band ha sinspirated even metallica, have you hear Metallica garage inc album have you know what kind a punk bands thay listened? look to Garage Ince there be full of such type of bands, and also BM biorn something in late 80ties, and almoust ewery band know this band, and lil take something

Listend early Darkthrone

When a band is covered that doesn't necessarily mean that the band is inspired by them.

Take for example Turisas covering Boney M.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.12.2007 - 18:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.12.2007 at 18:17

When a band is covered that doesn't necessarily mean that the band is inspired by them.

sdame like megadeth covered Sinatra(not Frank ) but in Metallica case thay IMo isnpirated lil bit of band, and I read that thay listened this band when was young
----

apos;'
[image]
27.12.2007 - 19:47
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.12.2007 at 18:17

Written by Bad English on 27.12.2007 at 17:30

I still dont think so

Listend early Darkthrone

But Children Of Bodom were obviously influenced by Britney Spears

Now, I think it's a bit hilaraious that some people talk about Ildjarn like the "proof" of black metal being directly influenced by Discharge. First, Ildjarn couldn't be considered as one of the early black metal acts, second, they're certainly not a typical black metal act, and their own influence for the whole genre isn't as huge neither, and last I don't really see an obvious relation between both bands, beside the fact that both habe garage noise sound, short songs and underdeveloped composition.