Metal Storm logo
The Quick Questions Thread

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 11.03.2009 - 02:26
Question: Kirk Hammett played on the latest K'Naan album and I wanted to add that to his profile, but I am not sure how to. Could someone please help me out?
18.01.2019 - 13:16
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Azarath on 13.01.2019 at 11:36

I've been having a problem with adding/editing stuff on here. When clicking the 'Submit' button I just get a white screen instead of the "Thanks, your submission must now get checked before appearing..."

Does anybody know what's that about? I've been fiddling with the 'Site settings' in the browser (Chrome), but I can't seem to get it to work.

Clear your 'caches' and try again.

Also try to login on Metal Storm from Opera or Firefox.
19.01.2019 - 05:58
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by D.T. Metal on 17.01.2019 at 22:03

Written by M C Vice on 12.01.2019 at 07:29

Should this album by Clouds https://cloudsofficial.bandcamp.com/album/dor-bonus-album be counted as a separate album (or go in the other releases section) or be added to the main album http://metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=96045&band_id=8474&bandname=Clouds tracklist as a bonus album/disk?

While it is a separate album, it really isn't. On bandcamp they stated "Bonus CD from the DOR album" and I read the following statement as well: "A little treat has been already been sent to those who have ordered the limited box, please check your spam folder too!!"
This tells me that the bonus album is just that - a bonus for those who bought the limited version of Dor.

Thanks. added it to the Dor album's tracklist as a bonus disc.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
18.02.2019 - 13:06
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
How do band name links in various artists albums work? Is it only visible ones that link? Just wondering why Blue Hummingbird On The Left doesn't link in the Black twilight Circle compilation.
http://metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=79960
----
18.02.2019 - 14:09
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by M C Vice on 18.02.2019 at 13:06

How do band name links in various artists albums work? Is it only visible ones that link? Just wondering why Blue Hummingbird On The Left doesn't link in the Black twilight Circle compilation.

Now it's fixed.
The band wasn't linked because that compilation was older than Blue Hummingbird On The Left's appearance on this site.
The algorithm does not automatically search for conceivable band profiles, you have to tell the database to consider each particular band of a split release or compilation by providing the band's individual database number.
----
signatures = SPAM
18.02.2019 - 14:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 18.02.2019 at 13:06

If bands are in MS. then click edit, coppy band id from adress bar
example
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=13&bandname=Opeth

Copy 13

and copy
Band(s):
Transfer the album to another band or add more bands (for splits and VA).
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.03.2019 - 18:47
I would be happy for a very tiny and small change in main top thread BANDS> add Top 20 Albums 2019
less unnecessary clicks = more convenient isn't it
20.04.2019 - 22:59
nikarg

Written by christmas.inHell on 12.03.2019 at 18:47

I would be happy for a very tiny and small change in main top thread BANDS> add Top 20 Albums 2019
less unnecessary clicks = more convenient isn't it

It's on the left-hand column
17.09.2019 - 17:56
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Hi. Is there a way to fight against those stupid ad list created by bots ? these for instance:

http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=5831
http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=5827
http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=5826
http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=5825

and ban those fake user of course. Lists like that are quite recurring I remarked
----
17.09.2019 - 18:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Ansercanagicus on 17.09.2019 at 17:56

Hi. Is there a way to fight against those stupid ad list created by bots ?

I'll clean these all up as soon as I have PC access in a couple hours. Unfortunately these are harder to spot as they don't appear in the forums when searching through new posts. You can always hit the report button at the bottom of the list though, that way a Mod will see it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.09.2019 - 18:57
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.09.2019 at 18:49

You can always hit the report button at the bottom of the list though, that way a Mod will see it.

Sorry am I blind ? a report button ? where ?

EDIT: Oh I see, but I have to post a comment to create a forum thread so the button appears. Isn't this going to create unnecessary forum threads, or isn't it unclear for the mod ? it feels like I'm reporting myself which is strange
----
17.09.2019 - 19:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Ansercanagicus on 17.09.2019 at 18:57

EDIT: Oh I see, but I have to post a comment to create a forum thread so the button appears. Isn't this going to create unnecessary forum threads, or isn't it unclear for the mod ? I feel like reporting myself which is strange

I realized that right after I posted my response. In that case you can always copy the page link and PM a Staff member directly to ensure they see it. Not all of us scroll through new forum posts regularly so things can be missed.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.09.2019 - 19:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Ansercanagicus on 17.09.2019 at 17:56
http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=5831
http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=5827
http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=5826
http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=5825

Okay, all lists deleted, all profiles wiped of spam content and banned.

Thanks for the links.
----
20.09.2019 - 00:47
Vombatus
Potorro
Quick question:
Is there any issue with album submissions? Trying to add the new Blood Incantation, and the page always fails to load after submitting ("Site can't be reached").
I tried 3 times, same error. Rest of the site works fine for me. Internet connection is fine too.
20.09.2019 - 00:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Vombatus on 20.09.2019 at 00:47

Quick question:
Is there any issue with album submissions? Trying to add the new Blood Incantation, and the page always fails to load after submitting ("Site can't be reached").
I tried 3 times, same error. Rest of the site works fine for me. Internet connection is fine too.

I added a compilation album last night without issue, though I do sometimes experience server connection issues, especially when deleting posts by spambots and it returns a 404 error message. After I refresh the page everything works fine after a while.
----
21.09.2019 - 12:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Vombatus on 20.09.2019 at 00:47

Quick question:

do you add img?
maybe IMG are to large, try whit out img
I have add maybe 1 milion albums and it works.
But maybe you tried when site has server eror?
----

apos;'
[image]
27.02.2020 - 12:52
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Hey Staff! When can we get ol' tee contest back?

Also, where can I buy MS tee?
09.05.2020 - 14:19
Răzvan

Has MS been experiencing a lot of downtime lately, or is it just a problem on my end? I don't come here as often as some others, but whenever I do it's pretty much hit and miss if I'm gonna actually get the MS page I want or just some "could not connect to database" error.

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I don't use the forums very much and I couldn't find a recent topic on this issue.
----
My subjectivity is better than yours.
09.05.2020 - 16:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Răzvan on 09.05.2020 at 14:19

Has MS been experiencing a lot of downtime lately, or is it just a problem on my end? I don't come here as often as some others, but whenever I do it's pretty much hit and miss if I'm gonna actually get the MS page I want or just some "could not connect to database" error.

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I don't use the forums very much and I couldn't find a recent topic on this issue.

Yes its true
It starts like 5 years ago, but then it was hmm maybe once per 2 months , more time goes more it takes, year ago it was like 2 days messed, the 2 weeks good. This week to me site has been down every day 4-8 hours something .

I remember MA had same problem, they fixed it, IMO it was programming code and shity server. I dunno what is ms problem, but well if I knew 5 years ago I was capible donate to ms maybe 3000 euros ... 30 000 Svenska kroner ...
----

apos;'
[image]
24.05.2020 - 01:36
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Is there a way to add a genre to a compilation album released after a band has disbanded?
----
24.05.2020 - 05:11
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by M C Vice on 24.05.2020 at 01:36

Is there a way to add a genre to a compilation album released after a band has disbanded?

Yep. The specific genre(s) of each album can be modified, regardless of the band's status.
Which album?
----
signatures = SPAM
25.05.2020 - 00:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

He answered, same goes to all albums what are out after Split up. Only people whit perms can do, so those cases om me or german guy
----

apos;'
[image]
25.05.2020 - 08:18
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Starvynth on 24.05.2020 at 05:11

Yep. The specific genre(s) of each album can be modified, regardless of the band's status.
Which album?

A pair of Elf compilations.
http://metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=67399&band_id=6727&bandname=Elf
http://metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=59279&band_id=6727&bandname=Elf
Also noticed that the Hendrix albums released after his death don't count in the sort by genre thingy on the collections page, though they do have genres attached to them. I assume that's a separate issue.
----
26.05.2020 - 00:53
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by M C Vice on 25.05.2020 at 08:18

Fixed. Thanks for reporting.

Also noticed that the Hendrix albums released after his death don't count in the sort by genre thingy on the collections page, though they do have genres attached to them. I assume that's a separate issue.

Yes, it is.
The genres of your MS collection will not be influenced by manually modified styles of specific albums, only the band's general genre at the time of the album's release is taken into account.
Kreator is a good example. Add Outcast to your collection and you will end up with one additional thrash metal album in your virtual CD shelf, eventhough the album is rightfully and correctly tagged as "gothic metal".
Not a real bug though, but kinda irritating for genre nerds (like me).
----
signatures = SPAM
26.05.2020 - 22:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Starvynth on 26.05.2020 at 00:53

Yes, it is.
The genres of your MS collection will not be influenced by manually modified styles of specific albums, only the band's general genre at the time of the album's release is taken into account.
Kreator is a good example. Add Outcast to your collection and you will end up with one additional thrash metal album in your virtual CD shelf, eventhough the album is rightfully and correctly tagged as "gothic metal".

I think its good we have such option, one wrong album can riun whole thing,
----

apos;'
[image]
27.05.2020 - 07:42
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Starvynth on 26.05.2020 at 00:53

Yes, it is.

Thanks for that.
----
13.06.2020 - 21:49
Vombatus
Potorro
Why doesn't the website have a ssl certificate? I'm not sure it was always the case.
14.06.2020 - 22:37
sgtrobo

Written by Vombatus on 13.06.2020 at 21:49

Why doesn't the website have a ssl certificate? I'm not sure it was always the case.

It's been that way for awhile
14.06.2020 - 22:49
sgtrobo

Is there a reason that you cannot filter the "top 200 albums" list using melodic death metal/melodeath (or, for that matter, melodic black metal)?
I thought maybe Gothenberg was being used as a catch-all, but it doesn't seem that way (which is good)

You can filter bands using the melodic death metal label, but not albums.
Was wondering if I am missing something as I'm obviously fairly new to the forums.

I did find a single reference asking for the difference, but it wasn't really answered ==>

Written by Risto on 17.01.2015 at 23:39

How exactly does this site differentiate Gothenburg metal and melodic death metal?

gothenburg always struck me more as a scene, rather than a style. i.e. 'Bay Area thrash' or "Teutonic thrash", that type of thing.
15.06.2020 - 02:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by sgtrobo on 14.06.2020 at 22:49

Is there a reason that you cannot filter the "top 200 albums" list using melodic death metal/melodeath (or, for that matter, melodic black metal)?

The reason is that it was never designed that way, unfortunately. The search filters are extremely limited in scope and in need of an update. Until that happens, it is what it is.
----
15.06.2020 - 03:06
sgtrobo

Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.06.2020 at 02:33

Written by sgtrobo on 14.06.2020 at 22:49

The reason is that it was never designed that way, unfortunately. The search filters are extremely limited in scope and in need of an update. Until that happens, it is what it is.

ok cool, just wanted to confirm I wasn't mucking something up. Thanks!