Metal Storm logo
Iced Earth - Matt Barlow Rejoins Band

Matt Barlow has rejoined Iced Earth, according to the following statement posted on www.icedearth.com:

"Hello Dear Friends!

Once again the winds of change are upon us, and this time I can say that I am very happy about the result.

While out on the European tour I had several in depth discussions with many loyal Iced Earth fans. A common theme of these discussions was how much Matt is missed. I agreed with the fans that things were not the same and that it was a very special period in Iced Earth's history.

When I heard several months ago that Matt was going to be doing a project in music again, I was thinking about contacting him and seeing what his intentions were. I didn't act on this because I was so focused on the writing of the new epic, and frankly, it just didn't seem realistic.

Well, after getting out on the road and speaking with many of you directly, I decided to call Matt and see how he was doing and if he was interested in working together again. I am proud to say that he is coming back to Iced Earth and we will be getting back to work in the studio very soon.

Matt will be singing on Part 2 of the Something Wicked concept CD and we will be looking forward to getting out on tour and delivering a series of Iced Earth shows that will rival any in the history of the band. And there will be a proper DVD filmed from this period, something we've all been waiting for.

I want you all to know that it was you who made this a reality. I have missed Matt's presence onstage and in my personal life in a big way over the past few years, so I appreciate your honesty in our discussions. It did help me realize the decision to move forward with pursuing this. The fans have spoken and we have delivered!

You true fans know that I'm a straight shooter, I say what I mean and mean what I say. And though I value your opinions greatly, you must believe that this is a decision that comes completely from the heart and is not motivated by anything other than what feels the best for Iced Earth. This is the way that things have always been dealt with, for better or for worse, but always honestly and from the heart.

Tim Owens is a great and talented singer and I wish the best for him and his future on a personal and professional level.

There will be more news soon as to further developments and plans. This will push back the release of Part 2 a bit. Not because we couldn't be ready to record in time, but because of a new addition to Matt's family in early 2008!

I am very happy to announce that Iced Earth is truly BACK!

Have a great holiday season. We'll be in touch very soon with more details.

Jon Schaffer"

Source: icedearth.com
Band profile: Iced Earth
Posted: 12.12.2007 by Lyrinan

Comments page 3 / 4

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 99   Visited by: 42 users
12.12.2007 - 22:22
Asitis

Written by Guest on 12.12.2007 at 22:19

Am I the only one who doesn't care at all?

Nope, I don't either.
----
The silent moment, right before the dusk fades away
I open my eyes, but the darkness stays
12.12.2007 - 22:29
FrostbittenIlham
Account deleted
Written by Asitis on 12.12.2007 at 22:22

Nope, I don't either.

Good to know. Although I wouldn't care either if I were the only one.
12.12.2007 - 22:33
Asitis

Written by Guest on 12.12.2007 at 22:29

Written by Asitis on 12.12.2007 at 22:22

Nope, I don't either.

Good to know. Although I wouldn't care either if I were the only one.

Thats the spirit. Individualism! woohoo!
----
The silent moment, right before the dusk fades away
I open my eyes, but the darkness stays
12.12.2007 - 22:42
Oskmrgo83
Oskmrgo83
I'm happy and sad at the same time.Matt... welcome back! Ripper... How we're gonna miss you, man.
----
Now it's time to... rock!!!!!
12.12.2007 - 22:45
FrostbittenIlham
Account deleted
Written by Asitis on 12.12.2007 at 22:33

Thats the spirit. Individualism! woohoo!

I'd qualify it as a sort of independence of thought, that's all .
12.12.2007 - 22:57
Infurnace

Damn! This is some of the best news i've heard this year. Welcome back Matt!
12.12.2007 - 23:38
Opium
Account deleted

That there madam is an opinion for war. Let's get her!
13.12.2007 - 01:06
AnarChrist

Okay,everything is said already,I agree with:
a) Something Wicked part I = awesome with Owens
b) Something Wicked part II recorded with Matt = wtf stupid
c) Jon Schaffer = a big shithead
d) Barlow with Iced Earth = definately good , timing for it = bad
e) HOLY SHIT! OMGWTFBBQ!!!

New stuff to add:
a) Get back at Schaffer, Owens, go for Metal Storm Scandal of the Year 2007!!
b) Night of the Stormrider is the best IE album anyway
----
oh my fucking god, fucking dinosaurs
13.12.2007 - 02:22
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
One of the best news I heard in last days.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
13.12.2007 - 02:48
Oracle
Orcinus
YES!! he's my fav Iced Earth singer out of al of them
Im soooo glad he rejoined Iced Eath
13.12.2007 - 03:05
Jason W.
Razorbliss
I think the news is even more disheartening than much I've heard this year, as the timing is terrible. And to top it off, I don't think the problem has been Tim's vocals, it's been the songs he's been singing. I have little interest in their new work, even if Matt's back. I actually find Jon's decision just rude. But hey, it's not my band, so more power to him... :
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
13.12.2007 - 05:22
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by necrovamp on 12.12.2007 at 20:12

hmm, feel sorry for tim, sacked from judas priest and now iced earth? jons a dick for doing this, its like dumping your girlfriend to get eith your ex, does he have any morals? idiot

took the words right outta my mouth. thats hella weak that he got axed from both iced earth and priest. at least he can focus fully on Beyond Fear if he doesnt do anything else, like join Therion.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
13.12.2007 - 12:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
this is great! owens only has 2 styles of voice: "shriek"(and right now in the metal world he is no. 1 on my list of shriekers) and "talk real loud", while barlow is much more versatile.
13.12.2007 - 13:14
Nimlot
A. Reader
OMFG THIS IS AMAZING... I can't believe it... this is the best year in my life! 1 - I went to a Blind Guardian concert (my first concert ever) 2 - Iron Maiden Concert 3 - ManOwaR Concert (FRIGGIN best concert in my country 6 hours non stop HEAVY METAL) 4 - I Bought an electric Guitar (Ibanez GRG270b), I'm Getting good at it 5 - Helloween and Gamma Ray Concert (no better combination for a concert ) AND NOW THIS OH MAN ICED EARTH IS MY FAV. BAND OF ALL TIME! (Blind Guardian and Iced Earth actually)
13.12.2007 - 13:29
kaoskrew

They must have sorted out their little mis-understanding then and poor old "ripoff"!
----
John
Kaos Krew Promotions
"Metal Music Facilitators"
Sponsors of Black Winter Day http://www.blackwinterday.co.uk
13.12.2007 - 14:59
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Iced Earth are going to suck no matter who sings for them.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
13.12.2007 - 18:54
Götter
HELL YEAH

Written by Dark Cornatus on 12.12.2007 at 05:22

Well, certainly was not expecting that. I guess its good news thought i never really had too much of a problem with Owens. Just seem like Owens got the boot up the arse and yeh... ah well, its the typical Jon Schaffer way of doing things, still works for the band haha.

Actually, I was expecting that ever since I first heard Matt was back in the music business. Besides, the 9/11 craze which prompted him to leave is kind of over. There is no better public service for Matt than singing in Iced Earth.
14.12.2007 - 04:51
Skull

The new of the year!!!
That's f*uking awesome!!

"I am very happy to announce that Iced Earth is truly BACK!"

This pharse TRULY summarized everything.
----
Heavy Metal is the law that keeps us all united free
A law that shatters earth and hell
Heavy Metal can't be beaten by any dynasty
We're all wizards fightin' with our spell
14.12.2007 - 13:53
Darkside Momo
Retired
Good news but...
As was said earlier, in every interview he certainly said that Matt's days in Iced Earth were over.

And now? What's next?...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
14.12.2007 - 16:46
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Eh, well cool, i guess...what really needs to change is the fact that they need to write some good music first.
14.12.2007 - 17:11
metalheadstinaa
Account deleted
that is the greatest news. it wasnt the same without matt, he really did something to us fans that made us truely miss him. im glad to hear he's back with iced earth m/
14.12.2007 - 20:47
Jay
Perkele
too soon... they should have recorded more with ripper owens
----
This one goes to 11
14.12.2007 - 21:08
BrightNight

FUCK YEAH Now Iced Earth is really back....There was always one voice who really suited the style of Iced Earth...the voice of Barlow! Best metal news of this year! Iced Fucking Earth is BACK!

Hope Tim Owens finds another band...he deserves it. But Barlows voice is the best for Iced Earth. Im happy with this.
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
14.12.2007 - 23:04
DoomGuard

WOOT!

favorite band back in business with the amazing vocals of Matt Barlow!!!!

God i freaking love Iced Earth!!!! Time to pull out Nights Of The Stormrider
15.12.2007 - 05:45
IcedGuardian
Account deleted
Wow!!!! Im starting to like Iced Earth again!!!
15.12.2007 - 15:51
RavenLord

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.12.2007 at 08:31

If this is actually true (and why shouldn't it be?) then it shows what a d******d Shaeffer actually is, first praising Tim to no end and burning down Matt, and now that the fans really miss Matt (which they have done right from the moment Matt left btw) goign back to Matt again. I think Jon was really really really disappointed by the sales figures of the last two albums, somehow thinking that IE would really break it big with Tim.

Marcel's hit the nail on the head. Schaffer's complete and utter inconsistency is damaging Iced Earth as much as any fans' reactions. Now, I'll be honest here. I hate Tim Owens' voice. I love Matt Barlow's voice. This news should have me over the moon, but I'm extremely skeptical. The last two albums have been pretty abortive, even disregarding Ripper's vocals. I don't think that having Matt Barlow back will redeem Iced Earth's descent into self-parody (which started with Horror Show, arguably), but we'll have to see.
----
15.12.2007 - 17:53
Powerslave16
Account deleted
Wow, when I first heard this I thought about stripping off my clothes and going prancing happily through the fields, but then the sadness of the Ripper began to set in. I am sorry that he is gone, but the show must go on. Matt is back, though I really wish someone (be it Matt, Jon, or Pyramaze) would make some more details known. I read somewhere he joined Pyramaze so he could keep his job with the police. If he's in Iced Earth now with a kid on the way, does that mean Iced Earth won't tour? I can't see Jon not touring. He needs a stable job if he's going to have a kid. Good God, I wish someone would issue a statement.
15.12.2007 - 22:34
exar
Account deleted
This is great the great Matt barlow is back
16.12.2007 - 07:10
Fuath

i think they should re-do glorious burden and framing armageddon,
ripper has an awesome voice but it doesnt fit the music, nor does the music fit his voice
barlow on the other hand, i think the music was shaped around his voice
i really cant wait for something wicked part 2

but i still want to know what is to become of ripper
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

16.12.2007 - 19:46
parallax

AMAZING! Barlow is the true singer of this band. I feel bad for Owens, but I think he should do his own thing. So far he's just been taking other peoples places.

Hits total: 8852 | This month: 6