Metal Storm logo
Florida Death Metal

13.12.2007 - 01:33
Cut-Throat
Whats your views on Florida Death Metal?

when was the best era of time to be in Flordia at this scene? who's the best band to come out of it? what killed it? what makes it original? etc etc.
13.12.2007 - 14:08
Grimurc
Florida Death Metal? explain?
----
Still drinking,-
13.12.2007 - 14:19
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Written by Grimurc on 13.12.2007 at 14:08

Hahahahaha!! This is one of the most classic posts to date on MS.

It's death metal that comes from Florida, duh. Examples: Death, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Brutality.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
13.12.2007 - 14:36
Grimurc
Written by Xtreme Jax on 13.12.2007 at 14:19

Written by Grimurc on 13.12.2007 at 14:08

Hahahahaha!! This is one of the most classic posts to date on MS.

It's death metal that comes from Florida, duh. Examples: Death, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Brutality.

ahh ok... i didn't know that was called florida death metal... i feel embarassed ok never mind...great examples
----
Still drinking,-
13.12.2007 - 14:38
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Well to be picky, it's not Florida death metal. It's Floridian death metal as it comes from that state - the title is incorrect.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
13.12.2007 - 20:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
No doubt it was in 80ties and early 90ties best time for DM ewerywhere and those bands us eunique sound werry great and awsome, thats why I strat listen metal
Death, Athesit, Cyinic, Brutality, Decide(I dont like band) , Eulogy(Searching), Monstrosity(one of my firts FDM bands), Morbid Angel, Raped Ape(searching), Sickness

Thos ebands I like of genre and lsitening, and I mention all what I know and had hear exept 2 what I seraching but know from samples , and i love first albums of bands so,

FDM give us legacy moust know bands MA, Death, Decide those 2 gives us incredibile legacy and nobody wont destroy it, but there are other bands too I adore Monstrocity
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.12.2007 - 20:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Xtreme Jax on 13.12.2007 at 14:38

Well to be picky, it's not Florida death metal. It's Floridian death metal as it comes from that state - the title is incorrect.

Grammatically you are 100% correct, but even back in the Eighties it was already alled Florida Death Metal, even by the Americans, just like New York Death Metal, Bay Area Thrash, Arizona thrash, New York thrash, etc.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.12.2007 - 21:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.12.2007 at 20:56

Grammatically you are 100% correct, but even back in the Eighties it was already alled Florida Death Metal, even by the Americans, just like New York Death Metal, Bay Area Thrash, Arizona thrash, New York thrash, etc.

Sugest me 80ties NY DM band cant think any of them.
----

apos;'
[image]
13.12.2007 - 21:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 13.12.2007 at 21:16

Malevolent Creation started in the 80s, but you're right most are from the 90s
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.12.2007 - 02:58
Cut-Throat
Written by Bad English on 13.12.2007 at 21:16

not lets stick just to the topic
14.12.2007 - 05:27
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I love Floridian Death Metal...Death, Morbid Angel, Atheist, Brutality, Cynic, etc...I love how they all stick together too and use the same musicians for different projects...such camaraderie!..and yes, there is such a genre called Floridian Death Metal...
14.12.2007 - 17:41
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I also enjoy some Frloridian death metal bands, especially Atheist, Death and Cynic (if you consider them DM), but also Nocturnus, Morbid Angel, Deicide, and Obituary.

Anyway...about camaraderie...I have somehow gotten the impression that these bands didn't get along that well at all. I remember even reading from an interview with Kelly Schaeffer that during some Atheist gig Schuldiner phoned Borivoj Krgin and told him that the crowd couldn't stand Atheist's performance, though they actually got a really positive reaction from the crowd. Guess Schuldiner was just jealous, still later when Schuldiner got to know the Atheist guys better via the Cynic guys they started to get along better.

Glen Benton has also said in an interview that during the heyday of Florida death metal the atmosphere was really competetive, I remember him having said that when he first heard Morbid Angel he was like "I can blow that away".
I guess that this competetive atmosphere played an important role in the development of the genre, as bands were constantly trying to outdo each other, or at least that's the impression I've gotten.
14.12.2007 - 17:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 14.12.2007 at 17:41

I also enjoy some Frloridian death metal bands, especially Atheist, Death and Cynic (if you consider them DM), but also Nocturnus, Morbid Angel, Deicide, and Obituary.

Anyway...about camaraderie...I have somehow gotten the impression that these bands didn't get along that well at all. I remember even reading from an interview with Kelly Schaeffer that during some Atheist gig Schuldiner phoned Borivoj Krgin and told him that the crowd couldn't stand Atheist's performance, though they actually got a really positive reaction from the crowd. Guess Schuldiner was just jealous, still later when Schuldiner got to know the Atheist guys better via the Cynic guys they started to get along better.

CHuck had problems with loads of bands, if I remember correctly Chuck and Patrick mameli (of Pestilence) were even throwing punches during a tour cause Pestilence got a better reception than Death. I dunno if that was actually true, but Pestilence was kicked off the tour for one reason or another..
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.12.2007 - 17:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 14.12.2007 at 17:41

Glen Benton has also said in an interview that during the heyday of Florida death metal the atmosphere was really competetive, I remember him having said that when he first heard Morbid Angel he was like "I can blow that away".
I guess that this competetive atmosphere played an important role in the development of the genre, as bands were constantly trying to outdo each other, or at least that's the impression I've gotten.

Damn I forgot mentioned Obituary into my firts post, i agree good band iMO thay and mosntrocity are best bands from area great
----

apos;'
[image]
14.12.2007 - 18:26
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.12.2007 at 17:47

CHuck had problems with loads of bands, if I remember correctly Chuck and Patrick mameli (of Pestilence) were even throwing punches during a tour cause Pestilence got a better reception than Death. I dunno if that was actually true, but Pestilence was kicked off the tour for one reason or another..

I remember having read an interview with Martin van Drunen (Pestilence) where he said that thanks to Chuck's constant complaining about Pestilence getting a better reaction even the Death roadies started sleeping in the Pestilence bus, because they couldn't stand Chuck's company anymore.
15.12.2007 - 02:22
Cut-Throat
Here in my opinion is a list of some bands who had the potential but ran out of time to leave their imprint in the genre

Hellwitch : their future was ruined by bad business decisions by signing with wild rags records that basically prevented them going anywhere

Massacre : From Beyond the perfect album? how they managed to produce a piece of shit album like the panned "promise" is mystery to this day

Nocturnus : proberly one of the 1st bands to add keyboards to death metal and lyrics where about sci fi territory and reformed in 2000 but faded away once again

Cynic : debut from 1993 "Focus" remains a good album to this day but upon its release at the time they started experimenting with jazz and it was the end b4 they knew it!
15.12.2007 - 09:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Cut-Throat on 15.12.2007 at 02:22

Here in my opinion is a list of some bands who had the potential but ran out of time to leave their imprint in the genre

Hellwitch : their future was ruined by bad business decisions by signing with wild rags records that basically prevented them going anywhere

Massacre : From Beyond the perfect album? how they managed to produce a piece of shit album like the panned "promise" is mystery to this day

Nocturnus : proberly one of the 1st bands to add keyboards to death metal and lyrics where about sci fi territory and reformed in 2000 but faded away once again

Cynic : debut from 1993 "Focus" remains a good album to this day but upon its release at the time they started experimenting with jazz and it was the end b4 they knew it!

Nocturnus was first band who use keyboards into metal but isnt thay from Florida
----

apos;'
[image]
17.12.2007 - 21:24
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Nocturnus were from Tampa, Florida if I remeber correctly.
17.12.2007 - 21:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 17.12.2007 at 21:24

Nocturnus were from Tampa, Florida if I remeber correctly.

Then I shood eddit my firts post
Nocturnus, Obituary, and Monstrocity + Atheist and cynic I like more
----

apos;'
[image]
08.01.2008 - 21:28
Fucked Upstairs.
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.12.2007 at 17:47

...if I remember correctly Chuck and Patrick mameli (of Pestilence) were even throwing punches during a tour cause Pestilence got a better reception than Death.

yeah that's true, i saw the interview with martin van drunen befor or after (i'm not sure) the show on youtube some time ago.
28.02.2008 - 01:46
Cut-Throat
everyone should check out brutality : screams of anguish its a florida death metal masterpiece. Ressurection - Embalmed Exicstence is great also!
28.02.2008 - 16:08
ylside
Staff
Written by Cut-Throat on 28.02.2008 at 01:46

everyone should check out brutality : screams of anguish its a florida death metal masterpiece. Ressurection - Embalmed Exicstence is great also!

yes indeed Screams of Anguish is awesome.
29.02.2008 - 15:38
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I think that the Florida death metal scene had a big impact on the genre all around the world, it's certainly the core. I would say bands like Morbid Angel, Death, Atheist, Deicide, Obituary are the stronger acts to come out of that state. All of those bands definitely inspired a shitload of musicians to continue the genre. I don't think we can ask much more from these bands, they were and for some are still great. One fairly newer act that has a great deal of talent would be Capharnaum, and it would be nice if they came out with a new record soon
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
12.03.2008 - 09:27
ABUSOR
Account deleted
Monstrosity is no doubt my fav Floridian Death Metal band.. They're 1992 album Imperial Doom is an absolute Death Metal classic. I also think the band Killing Addiction from the early/mid 90's are an extremely underrated Death Metal band that came out from Florida. In my opinion Death is one of the remote few bands that are shit and came out of Florida.... They just never did it for me. I tried with albums like Scream, Bloody, Gore, Leprosy, Human etc and I've always thought they are nothing special and very average. Because of this I have no respect for Chuck even though he is dead.... But is that wrong?? I think not.