05. All Gut, No Glory
06. Up The Dose
07. Torture Of Duty
08. Masters Of Ordure
09. Right To Die
10. Dawn Of The Dread
11. The Last Gasp

Gore has never been so perfect!

Finally we receive a good follow-up to "Mondo Medicale". While Impaled's "Death After Life" was, in a couple of levels, interesting and decent, it wasn't what everyone was expecting - it ended up being a mellow side of what the band had released in the past and all of a sudden they started sounding like a medium class Death Metal band...

Fortunately "The Last Gasp" appeared and destroyed every doubt in the scene and then delivered one of the most surprising and entertaining extreme albums of 2007; every single tune is a powerful cut wrapped in brutal song writing intense execution and intricate structures. The whole album manages to keep your ears next to the speakers to the very end. The profuse super-catchy riffs add replay values all over the place ensuring the undoubted longevity for years to come and the classic concept won't disappoint the band's fanatics and avid listeners at all.

The music is really polished in every single edge of it though, so I understand the reactions of Sikfuk or Torsofuck followers who are only waiting for filthy Goregrind with the fastest execution and the most outrageous and impossible to understand vocals and structures. In the end, Impaled has always been a band with harsh music that will easily suit in most metal brains out there, odd but actually convenient fact for the money collectors. So don't go along with the cover just for the sake of it, even though it shows an eyeless woman covered with semen and vomiting guts, the general music and scheme of this band is way more digestible than what it actually seems (or wants to be).

"The Last Gasp" is a great addition to any extreme metal collection, then if you're an Impaled fan this is a huge MUST for you; almost 40 minutes of the most entertaining and amazing violent music you've heard in years, that's totally worthwhile from where I'm standing. Highly Recommended!

Best Tracks: "Sickness Is Health", "All Gut No Glory", "The Last Gasp"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written by Herzebeth | 09.12.2007

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 73 users
13.12.2007 - 04:07
Bloodshed
Account deleted
Your review got me all excited, I guess I'll try this album out....

EDIT: Found it cheaper than expected on Relapse.com I already ordered it, can't wait to hear those cuts.
09.10.2010 - 12:05
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Superb piece of work.. I'd have to agree gore has never been so excited since the "Days of Carcass"

Hits total: 7573 | This month: 5