06. 2000 Light Years From Home
07. No Vacation
08. I'm Calling You
09. Solid Gold
10. Freeze And Pixelate
11. A Thousand Stars
12. Slap In The Face
13. Little Bag Of Gloom

The year 2007 was a good year for the monsters of Stoner Rock. Trouble and Down did a really nice come back and Monster Magnet has finally released its last album "4-Way Diablo". 2006 was not so great for Dave Wyndorf, the charismatic leader of the combo, who had some serious problems with drug (he even did an overdose?) but the show must go one as we say and luckily Dave found the energy to write and record this new album. No need to wait anymore to say "4-Way Diablo" is great, and damn it's good to listen to such music, don't be doubtful anymore, the pioneers (with Kyuss) of Stoner Rock will kick our asses one more time with their new release!

I like to listen to Monster Magnet because in general all their songs are really deep, complex but never boring or too elitist, it's Rock n Roll and good one! "4-Way Diablo" will not be disturbing if you like the previous albums of the band. This is always a good catchy Stoner Rock with great melodies and great guitars riffs. This is melodic yes but the force of "4-Way Diablo" also comes from the general spirit and ambiance of the record. The overdose of Wyndorf didn't calm him down and, at the opposite, inspired him to write this release which is, as you can imagine, definitely psychedelic but still in the trip "beer, whiskey, bikers and women?" which means that it's "special" on a side but also really direct and finally excellent if you like to listen to Rock n Roll bands? Some songs like the catchy "4-Way Diablo", the heavy "Your So Alive" or the groovy "A Thousand Stars" are little jewels in a release which doesn't offer anything bad?

All the songs of "4-Way Diablo" are one-take recording and it simply rocks. The album sounds "live" and it's really great to listen to it. Really the production rocks, the artworks are more Stoner than ever and you'll quickly understand when you'll listen to the album that Dave Wyndorf and his guys are just perfect musicians. A great original crazy cover of the Rolling Stones' classic "2000 Light Years From Home" is even featured on the album so really nothing is missing on this release, this is simply a great album of Rock N Roll.

It's good to see that Monster Magnet can still write good albums. "4-Way Diablo" is a great release and I'm happy to see that the band is not dead yet. If you like good US Rock and Stoner be sure that you'll not miss this release which is already at the top of the list of the best Stoner release of the year. Be ready to Rock!!!!!!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 16.12.2007

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 47 users
17.12.2007 - 07:10
Opium
Account deleted
I've only listened to the first few tracks, but it actually sounded good, I don't think I was in the right mood for it though, but I'll certainly get back to it.
17.12.2007 - 14:54
destroyah
supercharger
If your description is anything to go by then this sounds like a must-get
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
18.12.2007 - 07:56
Opium
Account deleted
Now that I got back to it, I can say it is a great album, there's only one track that really drags and clearly doesn't belong: "A Thousand Stars". If the album didn't have that track included, it'd be worth about 8.8, IMO.
23.12.2007 - 16:20
destroyah
supercharger
Agree with Opium, a very good album
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
25.05.2009 - 18:28
Abattoir

Sounds quite good, nothing special though. My favourite tracks would be ''4-Way Diablo'' and ''Slap In The Face''.

Hits total: 7766 | This month: 13