Metal Storm logo
Best Black Sabbath-vocalist

Original post

Posted by RhysTerk, 18.12.2007 - 16:18
Really intrested in hearing who you think has been the greatest vocalist in Black Sabbath.
In my opinion Osbourne is very overrated and i voted for Tony Martin

Poll

Who has been vocalist in Black Sabbath?

Ozzy Osbourne
Ronnie James Dio
Tony Martin
Ian Gillan
Glenn Hughes

Total votes: 146
04.04.2011 - 02:12
Yasmine

Written by mortjoyeux on 05.01.2009 at 23:18

Ozzy wins this hands down.
I agree with HugeTheConqeror completely. Sabbath just..sounds like sabbath with Ozzy.

erm how? Dio is the more technically proficent vocalist. Ozzy is really quite awful.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
04.04.2011 - 03:37
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 04.04.2011 at 02:12

Written by mortjoyeux on 05.01.2009 at 23:18

Ozzy wins this hands down.
I agree with HugeTheConqeror completely. Sabbath just..sounds like sabbath with Ozzy.

erm how? Dio is the more technically proficent vocalist. Ozzy is really quite awful.

Exactly. Dio is a very skilled vocalist, while Ozzy is a one dimensional wailer. I think that Ozzy is only winning because people like Ozzy era Sabbath the best. So do I, but not because of that pathetic excuse of a singer behind the mic. He's awful. Awful Bloody Awful.
17.06.2011 - 20:43
MickeyDeez79

While Ozzy helped make the band big and his work with Black Sabbath is the best, I think that Dio is better voice-wise.
18.06.2011 - 09:08
Shadrahk

In Black Sabbath? Definatly Ozzy, his wierd voice gave the music it's dark feel. Dio made it sound not Sabbathy, but not suckey either.
----
Guys, don't be racist. Racism is a crime. And crime is for niggers.
06.10.2012 - 06:38
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I personally think Ronnie James Dio is the better singer compared to Ozzy.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
06.10.2012 - 18:29
Lit.
Account deleted
Ozzy. Dio is incredibly talented and far better than Ozzy, but I do not care for anything Dio did with Sabbath (aside from the title track of H&H and Neon Knights). With Dio, Sabbath lost their edge and just sounded so unbelievably average in terms of lyrics and songwriting, like doomy power metal. Dio's voice was the only saving grace. At least with Ozzy they had a nice dark edge and sounded more like Black Sabbath and less like White Sabbath.
08.10.2012 - 11:20
Egigantea

Ozzy was the best Black Sabbath vocalist of course, but Dio was a better vocalist overall.
08.10.2012 - 12:31
Apatheria

Like a lot of folks have been saying, it's clear that Dio is the superior vocalist of the bunch in terms of talent. Hell, I feel that Dio has to be considered when anybody discusses the all-time greatest metal vocalists. The man was incredible.

But Black Sabbath's identity was formed behind Ozzy's eerie wailing. That spooky, occult vibe that permeated the early records was in part due to Ozzy's peculiar singing style. I daresay a more polished vocalist would've sounded out of place on those albums.

And hell, let's also consider the overall body of work that each vocalist contributed to Black Sabbath. Ozzy helmed the first six classic records that saw Sabbath in their prime. Sure, Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die! weren't so hot, but six magnificent albums clearly outweighs two stinkers. Dio helmed three records, and all three are thought of highly in the overall Black Sabbath discography. Gillian contributed to one decent record. Glenn Hughes was on one record that is typically considered pretty bad. Tony Martin contributed to five, which are a pretty mixed bunch overall. Considering all that, you've still got to pick Ozzy.

Ozzy for me.
----
Heavy metal is the law.
08.10.2012 - 14:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Apatheria on 08.10.2012 at 12:31

Glenn Hughes was on one record that is typically considered pretty bad.

Seventh Star ius acutally not a Black Sabbath album but a Tony Iommi solo album.

"Album initially recorded as a Tony Iommi solo album, but the Black Sabbath name was added under record company pressure."
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.10.2012 - 10:07
Apatheria

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.10.2012 at 14:30

Written by Apatheria on 08.10.2012 at 12:31

Glenn Hughes was on one record that is typically considered pretty bad.

Seventh Star ius acutally not a Black Sabbath album but a Tony Iommi solo album.

"Album initially recorded as a Tony Iommi solo album, but the Black Sabbath name was added under record company pressure."

I stand corrected.
----
Heavy metal is the law.
09.10.2012 - 11:29
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Apatheria on 09.10.2012 at 10:07

I stand corrected.

You don't mess with the Hubregtse
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
09.10.2012 - 11:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Spirit Molecule on 09.10.2012 at 11:29

You don't mess with the Hubregtse

----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.10.2012 - 07:05
Misfit74

Dio. No contest.

Ozzy was a great pioneering era of heavy, evil sounding music but when it comes to vocals Dio is one of the best ever. Power, melody, and emotion so emphatically delivered live and in studio. Live Evil is one of my all time favorite albums, in fact.
13.10.2012 - 19:12
Branzig

If I am going off of what the post actually asks...

The "BEST" vocalist out of the bunch is Dio.

My favorite is Ozzy though. I like his shitty style and the body of work that Sabbath put out with him on vocals really speaks for itself. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and my personal opinion is that Sabbath wouldn't of been nearly as big without Ozzy.
----
In Grind We Crust
13.10.2012 - 19:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Even thoguh Dio is the best, Ozzy fit Sabbath's sound way better making them more unique and eeie sounding whereas Dio's volcals almost made it go towards the power metal side of things, also Iommi''s songwriting was changed to fit Dio's voice making it not as good.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.10.2012 - 19:32
Branzig

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.10.2012 at 19:19

Iommi''s songwriting was changed to fit Dio's voice making it not as good.

Exactly, they lost a lot of the edge or "Doominess" if you will with Dio. Ozzy had that darkness about his voice that just worked so well.
----
In Grind We Crust