101 rules of Folk metal
101 rules of Folk metal
4.6 | 30 votes
101 rules of Heathen/Folk-metal
1. Be "Folkish"
2. Be "mythical"
3. Tune your violin only once…
5. Accordion is folkish
6. Thor is your mentor!
7. Polka is funny, not stupid.
8. If you can, be Finntroll…
9. If you can't be Finntroll…. Be Moonsorrow.
10. On second thought, if you can't be, don't try to copy! …you just can't!
11. Beer is "folkish"
12. Only mushrooms do as drugs… nothing else!
13. Look like a troll
14. …at least on stage
15. All "Folk"-metal albums shall at least feature on song about Trolls!
16. Only drink beer or mjød from a horn
17. Always walk once a day in the woods…
18. Need inspiration? Walk in woods…
19. Gåte is NOT heathen…
20. nor is a unicorn..
21. Look angry…
22. Be angry…
23. If not angry, play your guitar…
24. Always feature a "same-joik" on your album
25. Draw your own album covers…
26. ...should be inspired by Kittelsen or other "true" troll-fathers!
27. If you can't draw…learn!
28. Every band must have at least ONE drinking-song on each album! Not optional!
29. Always relate to Vikings
30. Lyrics must to be "mythical"…and "Nordic"… Always!
31. Own a hammer… a BIG one!
32. If you can't get a hammer, get a sword… a BIG one!
33. ...not a gay sword.
34. With other words… don't be Rhapsody!
35. Read Folk-lore daily.
36. Religion is a sin, every last one of them.
37. Have stage-names like: "Trollhorn", "Thundra", "Nitrist" and all names including "grim" will do.
38. go by the names in your daily life to…
39. If you need a real job, work in the kindergarten. Kids respect trolls!
40. Remember… only Norway is the "true" home of the trolls…
41. Be from Norway…
42. if you're not, say you are…
43. not optional.
44. other Nordic lands will also do, but always say you have relatives from Norway…
45. Regarding rule #44 that's cool.
46. Be in at least 2 "Heathen/Folk"-metal bands.
47. Arrange drinking trips to your cottage with other band members weekly!
48. Touring is drinking…
49. Even in Japan.
50. See rule #8
51. Wear clothes that blends with nature…
52. but don't over-do it! You're not an Ent!
53. See rule #11
54. War-paint is good, but don't make it look like it's been painted on…
55. "Blood" will also do…
56. Look as if you come straight from the battle field
57. at least on stage!
58. go hunting just for food…not for fun!
59. shopping is not "folkish" or "mythical"
60. see rules #1 to #59
61. Natur-sounds is a good way to kick off the album…
62. Howling wolves sounds good, but not if you try to imitate!
63. acoustic instruments are ok… but don't over-do it.
64. Make an acoustic album.
65. If you don't have a mouth-harp, go back to your day job!
66. Mouth-harps are a must!
67. Always think about rule #19 & #20
68. Always stick to your native language!
69. even if you're Italian or Spanish… Latin may also do…
70. Don't start a "heathen/folk" metal band in USA…
71. because you're not "folkish" enough!
72. Don't hesitate to growl. GRRRAAWW!!!
73. A female vocal may be cool, but not Tarja!
74. …do ask her though, but tell her it was a joke afterwards!
75. Orcs are NOT "folkish"… but still cool… because their ugly.
76. All in your band should be ugly!
77. Even the women, if you have any…
78. Villages is always a cool thing, but not castles… see rule #34
79. The nearest you come to "folkish" in Tolkien's world is "Gimli"!
80. Hence, do grow a beard!
81. Never shave… any part of your body!
82. Norway is a small country, only room for trolls!
83. Don't come unless you look like one!
84. Drink a beer, as we salute the end of Gåte!
85. See rule #19 & #20
86. Don't be positive.
87. Don't be open minded.
88. Go here: http://www.moonsorrow.com/2005/mainpage.html -> FAQ -> Concerning Mead
89. see rule #16
90. Pagan's Mind is not "Heathen", don't be Pagan's Mind! But be Pagan minded!
91. The forest rules!
92. Regarding rule #91 …even Elk-drops!
93. On stage… use antlers as a part of your outfit!
94. Spit a lot, but not while consuming beer or mjød.
95. Barfing is "folkish"
96. On second thought… screw rule #95
97. Screw Gåte… and Pagan's Mind.
98. Comment to rule #90: Your band name must relate to your music! Or genre!
99. Use a choir to shout "HEY!" at least twice on your album.
100. You're allowed to use a synth, but make it sound authentic!
101. Swing the Trollhammer and repeat the rules!
Comments: 16 Visited by: 371 users
| The Shape 1973
| Got Mayhem?
| Vitriolic Hate
| LeChron James
Hits total: 17837 | This month: 88