01. Geheime Staats Polizei
02. Incipit SSSR
03. Ibn Al Khattab
04. Alkhan-Kala
05. Geniul Din Carpati
06. Krasnaya Paranoia
07. Socijalisticka Federativna Republika Jugoslavija
08. Grozny

A spectre is haunting black metal ? the spectre of communism. What? Hell no, don't be misguided by the grandiose soviet aesthetic of the cover artwork and the imposing hammer & sickle at its centre. It's not a call to arms for the proletariat to fight back oppression. Judging from the title of their first EP, Dictatura, and its cover which is a multi-portrait of Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Slobodan Milosevic and Akhmad Kadyrov you can get a reference to what N.K.V.D.'s music wants to bring forth through their politically incorrect design status. Everything becomes clearer when you get in mind that N.K.V.D. (Narodny Komissariat Vnutrennikh Del - People's Commissariat for Internal Affairs) was one of Stalin's major weapons to strangle the voices of his opposers once and forever.

Vlast is their debut full-length release and it's a ruthless, massive blast of hatred through its vast, emotionless and cold soundscapes. Of course it's industrial black metal we're talking about, drawing its inspiration from totalitarian rulers whose voice is breathing through the compositions with sampled speeches they left behind them in the march of history. Big moustache, small moustache, no moustache, the actions are in the same sphere, it's the magnitude that differs and the veil under which they are covered. N.K.V.D. set this veil aflame and evoke a mechanical, often militaristic, ambiance through their sonic rapture.

The compositions are surrounded by a thick darkness as if a parasitic swarm was omnipresent during the recording. The production compliments Vlast, accomplishing in the first place everything the band wanted to present through their sound and visual aspects. There's a heavy industry working on in here, from the mechanical fumes and effects to the programmed drumming and from the menacing continuous riffing to the floating threat, the keyboards. "Socijalisticka Federativna Republika Jugoslavija" is the perfect example of instrumental militaristic industrial black metal with bombastic ambiance which engulfs pure human darkness and whose only voice is a sample. Of course there are vocals in the album that enrich the band's visions through their either fuming/rasping or hoarse echoing edge. Without them the outcome would still be clinical, but with them it's exquisite.

I have to admit that I really adored the very end of the album, a few seconds of chanting from an orthodox liturgy is always welcome after all this chaos, with the difference that it makes the effect even stronger with some hypocrisy-infused divinity.

You don't know what to expect until you listen, you will definitely find some Mysticum in here, but in the end what you'll really witness is 37 minutes of abhorrent disharmony and echoes from the recent past transmuted in morse signals in exchange for your soul.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written on 31.08.2011 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 72   Visited by: 540 users
31.08.2011 - 01:38
JD
Account deleted
Good review. This album seems interesting I'm going to check it immediately.
31.08.2011 - 03:17
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Seems really interesting...
31.08.2011 - 04:32
Andreas666
I'll definitively check on this one.
31.08.2011 - 04:48
Berserk
Black metal? no thanks.
----
Fear the Old Blood
31.08.2011 - 08:26
Aetherius
Yeh, sounds interesting to me as well, wanna check it out!
31.08.2011 - 10:58
Windrider
Raureif
Written by Berserk on 31.08.2011 at 04:48

Black metal? no thanks.

Fail
31.08.2011 - 11:35
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
This album really got me hookes for the past 9 days... very interesting songs with an omnipresent darkness... glad to see a review here, which really justifies the album..9/10
31.08.2011 - 14:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Awesome album
31.08.2011 - 14:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Quote:

don't be misguided by the grandiose soviet aesthetic of the cover artwork and the imposing hammer & sickle at its centre

I would say "Nazi aesthetic of the cover artwork with the imposing Soviet hammer & sickle in its centre"

Been meaning to check this album out and am still planning to.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.08.2011 - 14:37
Hellbrann
I like the cover. My interest is awakened, I will check this out.
----
Druantia | Folk metal
31.08.2011 - 14:38
JD
Account deleted
I've heard this album it's creepy and I like it. Now I should probably check the previous EP Diktatura

31.08.2011 - 15:10
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.08.2011 at 14:23

Quote:

don't be misguided by the grandiose soviet aesthetic of the cover artwork and the imposing hammer & sickle at its centre

I would say "Nazi aesthetic of the cover artwork with the imposing Soviet hammer & sickle in its centre"

I was just going to say the same thing. I was looking at the cover when a friend of mine showed up and said that the cover what's funny. I didn't see it until then that the flag is a nazi one hahahaha. Nice artwork imo. Have to check this band out for sure.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
31.08.2011 - 15:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
For anyone curious this song is particularly boss (same one I posted on the new albums thread a while back)
31.08.2011 - 18:23
Rating: 9
DevilishSong
Good review and after listening to this sample i'm gonna check this out indubitably!
31.08.2011 - 18:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by DevilishSong on 31.08.2011 at 18:23

indubitably!

+1
31.08.2011 - 19:15
Slayer666
Oh my fucking holy lord, the day has come! I can't believe that a black metal album describing Slobodan Milosevic's various exploits actually came to existence. And "Socijalisticka Federativna Republika Jugoslavija" made me lol so hard...
Will be checking this out, pronto.
31.08.2011 - 19:16
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 31.08.2011 at 18:27

indubitably!

+1

...How do you pronounce that?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
31.08.2011 - 19:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 31.08.2011 at 19:16

Written by [user id=4365] on 31.08.2011 at 18:27

indubitably!

+1

...How do you pronounce that?

in-doo-bit-ab-lee

;]
31.08.2011 - 23:32
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Great find! I'm liking this more than Sect(s)!
----
Brujerizmo!
01.09.2011 - 01:08
Rating: 9
DevilishSong
Thanks man this album is really Great! . this is not about technics or even about playing , this is about feeling and art , where life experiences and music become one. after reading this good review all of you know what this album is trying to depict .
i am living in a country that their rulers are dictator ... but don't misunderstood. they are nothing compare to some one like Stalin or Hitler except bloody worms. they aren't even know how to treat like a dictator! very single parameter that they owned in the career of dictatorship is "stupidity"!

i don't want to tell you that i've faced with all of the extreme horrors inside this album in my real life . but for example i've been in groups of protestors about 2 years ago and i saw the brutality , and i saw savage dogs that barked for their stupid masters and bit the peoples ( even the old ones ... ) military and Militia forces control people's life.
i am living in a life that shadows of the hand of stupid rulers could be seen in any aspect of life. talking , walking , eating , dressing ... that's ridiculous ....

Track No.3 ( Ibn Al Khattab ) with that abhorrent arabic speech , reminded me much more about the f*cking situation that i am living in , full of nothing and also hateful superstition ...
i am gonna give 9 to this album.
01.09.2011 - 02:34
ANGEL REAPER
To me it is look like that bm today is turning into crap....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
01.09.2011 - 02:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 01.09.2011 at 02:34

Well then it must suck to be you
01.09.2011 - 06:11
Aetherius
Lol
01.09.2011 - 09:40
ANGEL REAPER
Written by [user id=4365] on 01.09.2011 at 02:43

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 01.09.2011 at 02:34

Well then it must suck to be you

well not really ...but i can sense that bm musicians start to lack creativity and originality...I mean first they started to relay only on blastbeats and tremolo picking exclusively ,than they started incorporating operatic and electro-industrial elements,now they started mixing even punk stuff with it...You know Cronos was right when he said once "You either play black metal or you dont.dont stuff a tone of crap into one song ,mix it ,sign it and call it black metal even if it is not black metal."I mean i dont like Venom ,nor Cronos ,but he was right.(He said that on some interview i watched on youtube long time ago.)
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
01.09.2011 - 11:41
Rating: 7
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Thanks for the review. there is indeed a militaristic feel in the rhythms here. There is a feeling of evil empire throughout the album (kind of like in Star Wars ). I listened to the first six songs, and I liked the second one a lot (the one JOOE posted up). The drumming on that song is so great, but I presume the drums have been programmed, right?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
01.09.2011 - 12:42
Sussa
Komrades, this album is indeed amazing. One of the most interesting black metal releases of the year. I'm gonna check their EP Diktatura as well.
01.09.2011 - 14:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 01.09.2011 at 09:40

now they started mixing even punk stuff with it...

there has always been punk in black metal. Just listen to Venom, Darkthrone
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.09.2011 - 14:21
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.09.2011 at 14:12

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 01.09.2011 at 09:40

now they started mixing even punk stuff with it...

there has always been punk in black metal. Just listen to Venom, Darkthrone

well i know...bm is probably based on it more than other genres are...but as its base,the return of black metal to its punk origins is some kind of devolution...anyway that is the least of the problems of modern black metal...
----
01.09.2011 - 14:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 01.09.2011 at 14:21

well i know...bm is probably based on it more than other genres are...but as its base,the return of black metal to its punk origins is some kind of devolution...anyway that is the least of the problems of modern black metal...

The problem of modern black metal is the gazillion bands that clone the old Norwegian sound.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.09.2011 - 14:33
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.09.2011 at 14:32

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 01.09.2011 at 14:21

The problem of modern black metal is the gazillion bands that clone the old Norwegian sound.

i agree with you on this one...
----

Hits total: 12027 | This month: 15