Metal Storm logo
Most Underrated Albums (For Their Band's Standard)

NO MORE ARGUMENTS ABOUT OPETH EDITION!

Ever had that one album that a band has made that everybody just passes off as being decent while you see it as a masterpiece? Well, here are (in no particular order) the albums that I feel deserve much more attention than what they got from their fanbases.

Created by: Lethrokai | 30.08.2013

1. Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
Perhaps the rawest of modern DT, the 1st CD is filled to the brim with top-tier tracks whereas the 2nd CD epic covers the band's whole range in one monster of a piece. Yet somehow, it never seems to get mentioned as much as albums such as Images and Words...
2. Queensrÿche - Promised Land
Everyone says that Queensryche's descent began after Empire. Well I beg to differ. Unpopular opinion as it may be, Promised Land is, for me, the best album of Queensryche's career. However, it was overshadowed by the high success of the previous two albums and was thus destined to fail.
3. Avenged Sevenfold - Avenged Sevenfold
Why everyone dislikes this album is a shock to me. It is by far the band's highest point in creativity (look no further than A Little Piece Of Heaven) and truly showed the soul that A7X had long been hiding. Their previous albums tried too hard to be "cool" metal, whereas the ones that followed have become rather bland lacking the REV's creative influence.
4. Queen - Innuendo
And now we're hitting rock? Kinda... This album actually has some very noticeable metal influence in it (see the title-track if you want proof) and I feel this is why it got such a mediocre reception compared to the band's epic proportions. This is, by far, the band's grandest album. It was almost as if Freddie Mercury knew this would be his last performance...
5. System Of A Down - Steal This Album!
Often seen as a lower point in the band's not-so-long discography, this album is actually an undisputable high, combining the brilliant insanity of their self-titled first release combined with the more popular influences of Toxicity.
6. Tool - 10,000 Days
Possibly the only album of Tool's that has engaged me the whole way through. The Pot is by far the band's most entertaining single, drawing a brilliant contrast with the more solemn Wings For Marie/10,000 Days combination.
7. Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pandora's Piñata
Why is this seen as the weakest of their three releases? For me, this is the album that has perfected the DSO formula, bringing brilliant contrasts between each song, yet keeping each song incredibly entertaining at the same time.
8. In Flames - Soundtrack To Your Escape
Similar to Promised Land, this album was really seen as being a beginning point in a series of letdowns. The sound may have changed, that much is true, but the quality is still there. It's nothing too special, but still a pretty damn solid album.
9. Devin Townsend - Ghost
One thing that really bugs me is when people use the argument "it's boring" to bash on any album that doesn't have the adrenaline rush vibe going for it. This album is a brilliant ambient record that people shouldn't brush past simply because "it's not metal."
10. Ihsahn - Das Seelenbrechen
People saying Ihsahn has been getting progressively worse should really take another look at this release. It's true that he's been going down a slightly different path... however, similar to names like Scott Walker, this path is hardly a bad thing. I'd argue this is his most original and well-thought-out album to date, despite what the more avant-garde songwriting may suggest.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Lethrokai ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 52   Visited by: 227 users
29.10.2013 - 22:54
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Agreed. STA is probably the most aggressive and engaging album from SOAD for me.
29.10.2013 - 22:57
Erik M.
Despite the fact that I love Ghost Reveries, it's still not as brilliant as Blackwater Park. Morningrise and Still Life also beat GR in my opinion, but only slightly.
29.10.2013 - 23:00
3rdWorld
China was a neat
^ Just when I thought this list wasn't getting any attention.
30.10.2013 - 07:20
Lethrokai
Written by 3rdWorld on 29.10.2013 at 23:00

^ Just when I thought this list wasn't getting any attention.

Heh, you and me both. To be honest though, even I can tell that it' still not a fully "complete" list of sorts. I feel I need to update it a bit more before it can really get any attention.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
30.10.2013 - 09:47
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Lethrokai on 30.10.2013 at 07:20

I feel I need to update it a bit more before it can really get any attention.

Erik has spotted this one. He will bring it here.
30.10.2013 - 18:17
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Six Degrees is the 5th highest rated Dream Theater album on MS. It doesn't get mentioned that much because it's not one of DT's most popular albums (like Images and Words or Scenes from a Memory), nor is it particularly accessible, but plenty of people think it's some of their finest work.

Innuendo is a good album, but I don't know if I'd call it underrated.
30.10.2013 - 18:30
Lethrokai
Written by Azarath on 30.10.2013 at 18:17

Six Degrees is the 5th highest rated Dream Theater album on MS. It doesn't get mentioned that much because it's not one of DT's most popular albums (like Images and Words or Scenes from a Memory), nor is it particularly accessible, but plenty of people think it's some of their finest work.

Innuendo is a good album, but I don't know if I'd call it underrated.

When it comes to Six Degrees, I'm aware that it's in the upper half of the discography when it comes to fan-favourites. However, I do still feel like it should be higher up than this. When I say underrated, I hardly mean "generally-considered-to-be-mediocre."

As for Innuendo, I'm actually questioning myself if I should keep that one up. It does get quite a bit of recognition from those who look past the "instant classics" of the Queen discography. I might plan on removing it if I decide to extend further on this list.
----
30.10.2013 - 19:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I know you gave an explanation, but there is no way Ghost Reveries needs to be on a list like this. It's stupendously popular amongst fans and critics. Watershed, on the other hand, deserves a place here.
30.10.2013 - 22:06
Lethrokai
Written by [user id=4365] on 30.10.2013 at 19:12

I know you gave an explanation, but there is no way Ghost Reveries needs to be on a list like this. It's stupendously popular amongst fans and critics. Watershed, on the other hand, deserves a place here.

Yeah, to be honest I was kinda pushing it with that one. This list was just something I quickly did just so I could try and see what making a list on MS was like. Chances are I'll be giving it a MAJOR update in time, in which I will add and remove quite a few names.
----
30.10.2013 - 23:06
Erik M.
Written by 3rdWorld on 30.10.2013 at 09:47

What exactly will I bring here?
30.10.2013 - 23:10
Erik M.
Written by [user id=4365] on 30.10.2013 at 19:12

I agree with the first part, but not with the last part, as in my opinion Watershed is overrated on MS, NOT underrated. Just look at the high score it gets here. I'd say Heritage is most underrated, but it actually gets a score it deserves. So if I'd call one album underrated, then it would easily be Orchid, which gets bashed because of its bad production. Eve though that the production is pretty bad or decent at best, it's still brilliant in most (or all) other aspects. Hell, even more so when you consider it's a debut. One of the most impressive debuts ever I'd say.
30.10.2013 - 23:11
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Erik M. on 30.10.2013 at 23:06

Written by 3rdWorld on 30.10.2013 at 09:47

Written by Lethrokai on 30.10.2013 at 07:20

I feel I need to update it a bit more before it can really get any attention.

What exactly will I bring here?

That.
30.10.2013 - 23:14
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Erik M. on 30.10.2013 at 23:10

then it would easily be Orchid

Which I found average and nothing too great about.
30.10.2013 - 23:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 30.10.2013 at 23:10

I agree with the first part, but not with the last part, as in my opinion Watershed is overrated on MS, NOT underrated. Just look at the high score it gets here. I'd say Heritage is most underrated, but it actually gets a score it deserves. So if I'd call one album underrated, then it would easily be Orchid, which gets bashed because of its bad production. Eve though that the production is pretty bad or decent at best, it's still brilliant in most (or all) other aspects. Hell, even more so when you consider it's a debut. One of the most impressive debuts ever I'd say.

Watershed is far better than the debut which is sorely lacking in mature songwriting and to me is somewhat overrated on here. Heritage is marginally overrated on here, worth no more than a 7 as it's totally derivative. Watershed's score is about right, even though I've given it a much higher score. Within the context of Opeth's discog, Watershed is bashed a lot though so I would regard it as the most underrated record of their discog, whereas most of the other albums have too high a score
30.10.2013 - 23:19
Erik M.
Written by 3rdWorld on 30.10.2013 at 23:14

Which I found average and nothing too great about.

Interesting... if it wasn't for the production it probably would've been in my top 3 Opeth albums while now it's "only" at #5 (see my list). It's one of the most epic Opeth albums, if not the most epic of them all if you ask me, so a very impressive debut, all in all.
30.10.2013 - 23:25
Erik M.
Written by [user id=4365] on 30.10.2013 at 23:18

Watershed is far better than the debut which is sorely lacking in mature songwriting and to me is somewhat overrated on here. Heritage is marginally overrated on here, worth no more than a 7 as it's totally derivative. Watershed's score is about right, even though I've given it a much higher score. Within the context of Opeth's discog, Watershed is bashed a lot though so I would regard it as the most underrated record of their discog, whereas most of the other albums have too high a score

Meh... don't care about songwriting most of the time. So even though you're right it still wouldn't matter to me. But yes, on second thought, Heritage is indeed a bit overrated, I agree. Easily the most simplistic and boring Opeth album of them all. For me Watershed is an 8.5 at most because there are some songs that I love (Heir Apparent, Hessian Peel, Hex Omega) but also songs that I like way less (Coil and Porcelain Heart). I think Blackwater Park deserves the high score it gets as it's in my top 10 albums of all time, but overall their discography is (a bit) overrated, yes.
30.10.2013 - 23:26
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Erik M. on 30.10.2013 at 23:19

Interesting... if it wasn't for the production it probably would've been in my top 3 Opeth albums while now it's "only" at #5 (see my list). It's one of the most epic Opeth albums, if not the most epic of them all if you ask me, so a very impressive debut, all in all.

I don't remember it having the USP of Opeth which are the transitions from beautiful acoustic passages to death metal parts. Maybe I should listen to it more. But I am not going to do it anytime soon. And above all only Orchid, Morningrise, Watershed, Heritage have graced my ears. So I can't give you a whole picture of where I find that album in the output of Opeth. But I can damn say that Orchid was underwhelming to me in the first listen especially since the first ever opeth album I have heard is Watershed. So I believe even If i backcatalog I am not gonna be blown away by anything.
30.10.2013 - 23:29
3rdWorld
China was a neat
I agree with Joe, watershed is amazing in its ownright and Orchid isn't impressive or engaging at all. Mostly generic to me from what I've heard of it.
30.10.2013 - 23:33
afu
Wings For Marie and 10000 Days meander and substitute texture for compelling songcraft. The rest of the album is awesome, but that section bores the ever living shit out of me.

I'm not a major Opeth fan, but Ghost Reveries is probably my favorite of theirs.
31.10.2013 - 00:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 30.10.2013 at 23:25

Meh... don't care about songwriting most of the time.

To clarify, by songwriting I mean songs, not lyrics
31.10.2013 - 05:42
Lethrokai
Written by afu on 30.10.2013 at 23:33

Wings For Marie and 10000 Days meander and substitute texture for compelling songcraft. The rest of the album is awesome, but that section bores the ever living shit out of me.

I'm not a major Opeth fan, but Ghost Reveries is probably my favorite of theirs.

I don't honestly agree with that. I found that combo to be one of my favourite parts of the album. Yes, it's not as directly engaging as a lot of their work, but when you tune in to the smaller details, there's a lot to be found and a lot that will hook you. For example, the drum parts in 10,000 Days is still one of my favourite in music as a whole.
----
31.10.2013 - 14:46
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
I think Negura Bunget's 'N Crugu Bradului would fit this list. A large majority of people hold OM as being their best, but I think that one's just as good, if not better.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
31.10.2013 - 16:50
Lethrokai
Written by Auntie Sahar on 31.10.2013 at 14:46

I think Negura Bunget's 'N Crugu Bradului would fit this list. A large majority of people hold OM as being their best, but I think that one's just as good, if not better.

I think if I were to update this list, chances are I would put a Negura Bunget album in it. However, I still feel that enough people appreciate 'N Crugu as one of their top albums. It's the same reason that if I were to update this list, I think I'd remove Ghost Reveries.

Food for thought though, thanks!
----
31.10.2013 - 18:22
Nemo Atkins
Agreed with Promised Land, although I noticed quite a few people (when the self-titled album was coming up) listening to it and admitting that it was a much better album that they'd originally found it, so that one is probably going to be getting a lot more love in the near future.

Not so sure about Avenged Sevenfold's self-titled album deserving a place on this list. Now, granted, I've never been a huge fan of AX7 (despite the fact I own most of their albums: mostly got them because a friend encouraged me to keep listening to them), but that's always been their album I've skipped whenever I've listened to it out of boredom. Only really enjoy "Dear God" off of it these days.

Never listened to the others, so I can't comment on them. Might check them out sometime in the future, as you make some fairly interesting points for most of them.

Overall, pretty solid list.
31.10.2013 - 18:35
Lethrokai
Written by Nemo Atkins on 31.10.2013 at 18:22

Agreed with Promised Land, although I noticed quite a few people (when the self-titled album was coming up) listening to it and admitting that it was a much better album that they'd originally found it, so that one is probably going to be getting a lot more love in the near future.

Not so sure about Avenged Sevenfold's self-titled album deserving a place on this list. Now, granted, I've never been a huge fan of AX7 (despite the fact I own most of their albums: mostly got them because a friend encouraged me to keep listening to them), but that's always been their album I've skipped whenever I've listened to it out of boredom. Only really enjoy "Dear God" off of it these days.

Never listened to the others, so I can't comment on them. Might check them out sometime in the future, as you make some fairly interesting points for most of them.

Overall, pretty solid list.

Thanks, although now that it's finally getting attention, I'm starting to notice all the things that are kinda wrong with it, and the many ways in which I could make it better... :p

For your point with the A7X self-titled, I felt it took a lot more risks and creative directions than their other albums. It wasn't spectacular per se, however songs like A Little Piece Of Heaven, Critical Acclaim and even Lost deserve make me feel that this album really doesn't deserve the negative reception it gets.

As for the others, I'd highly recommend every single one. (Although a little warning might be necessary for Pandora's Pinata, there's a lot of unusual ideas for a first-time listener; as is expected of Diablo Swing Orchestra. If you haven't listened to them before, then prepare for one hell of a ride with this album)
----
31.10.2013 - 18:59
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Ghost Reveries is not underrated at all. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence and Steal This Album are a bit 'underrated'.
31.10.2013 - 21:22
mz
Written by 3rdWorld on 30.10.2013 at 23:29

I agree with Joe, watershed is amazing in its ownright and Orchid isn't impressive or engaging at all. Mostly generic to me from what I've heard of it.

deapite the fact that i agree with you about the watershed, i don' t think that generiuc is a fair word to describe their first albun as , to the best of my knowlede ,that album had been pretty unique back in time
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
31.10.2013 - 21:34
Erik M.
Written by [user id=4365] on 31.10.2013 at 00:13

To clarify, by songwriting I mean songs, not lyrics

Oh my bad then, because for some reason I think of lyrics when I read/hear the word "songwriting". Well, I'd agree with you to an extent although overall Orchid is simply far more interesting to me than Watershed. Watershed just underwhelmed me and therefor it's easily one of their worst albums even though I still think it's a great album on its own.
31.10.2013 - 21:35
Erik M.
Written by 3rdWorld on 30.10.2013 at 23:26

It doesn't remember it having the USP of Opeth which are the transitions from beautiful acoustic passages to death metal parts. Maybe I should listen to it more. But I am not going to do it anytime soon. And above all only Orchid, Morningrise, Watershed, Heritage have graced my ears. So I can't give you a whole picture of where I find that album in the output of Opeth. But I can damn say that Orchid was underwhelming to me in the first listen especially since the first ever opeth album I have heard is Watershed. So I believe even If i backcatalog I am not gonna be blown away by anything.

Well, that's why I can't judge an album properly after just one listen, as it only gives you (me) an impression. Anyway, fine by me if you dislike it... I just happen to like it a lot.

Written by 3rdWorld on 30.10.2013 at 23:29

Generic?! Lol, that's a good one seeing as it's Opeth's first album and their style was pretty revolutionary and unique. So even if you don't like the album, you can't call it generic at all.

Btw, you were right. Thanks to me (and you too ) this list is now flooded with comments.
31.10.2013 - 21:48
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by mz on 31.10.2013 at 21:22

deapite the fact that i agree with you about the watershed, i don' t think that generiuc is a fair word to describe their first albun as , to the best of my knowlede ,that album had been pretty unique back in time

Written by Erik M. on 31.10.2013 at 21:35

Generic?! Lol, that's a good one seeing as it's Opeth's first album and their style was pretty revolutionary and unique. So even if you don't like the album, you can't call it generic at all.

For both of you.

1.Watershed
2.Heritage
3.Orchid
4.Morningrise

The order in which I checked out their albums. And orchid was underwhelming and its not because of the production, it was not so engaging for me and I say it is bad to me from what my memory serves me.

Hits total: 5595 | This month: 19